Wealth in France: HNW Investors 2019
"Wealth in France: HNW Investors 2019", report analyzes the investing preferences and portfolio allocation of French HNW individuals.
The female HNW population in France is larger than in the majority of its European peers, presenting an opportunity to grow revenues by targeting this demographic. Other opportunities include expat retirees and the increasing demand for inheritance planning. French HNW investors make use of several wealth managers, creating a challenge for advisors that want to grow assets under management by managing all of a clients assets. To mitigate investors propensity to spread their wealth, offering a wide range of services is a must, as this will reduce the need to work with different providers depending on an investors servicing need.
Specifically the report -
- Profiles the average HNW investor in France in terms of their demographics.
- Looks at which wealth management mandates are preferred among French HNW investors and how demand will develop going forward.
- Examines the allocation of French HNW investors portfolios into different asset classes and how this is expected to develop in the future.
- Analyzes HNW investors propensity to invest offshore, their preferred booking centers and asset classes, and Frances standing as an offshore center.
- Explores product and service demand among French HNW investors.
The report is based on our proprietary Global Wealth Managers Survey.
- The female HNW demographic makes up over 10% of the total HNW population, so dedicated services for this segment will be profitable.
- French HNW individuals use an average of 4.6 wealth managers and utilize multiple services for portfolio management.
- Constituting 13% of the HNW portfolio, demand for alternatives is forecast to increase the fastest of any asset class.
- French HNW individuals only hold 11% of their wealth offshore, and mainly in neighboring countries.
- 77% of industry participants forecast demand for inheritance planning to increase, yet only 64% of wealth managers in France offer this type of service.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and enhance your client targeting strategies using our data on HNW profiles and sources of wealth.
- Give your marketing strategies the edge required and capture new clients using insights from our data on HNW investors preferences for the various styles of asset management.
- Tailor your investment product portfolio to match current and future demand for different asset classes among HNW individuals.
- Develop your service proposition to match the demand expressed by French HNW investors and react proactively to forecasted changes in demand.
Table of Contents
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
1.1. A segmented strategy offers opportunities for AUM growth in Frances congested wealth market
1.2. Key findings
1.3. Critical success factors
2.1. A crowded wealth market in France calls for a multi-segmented targeting strategy
2.2. Demographics: Professionals in the financial services industry represent a sizable target market
2.3. Expats: Offering retirement services will be key for HNW expats in France
2.4. Investment style preferences: Discretionary services are a must, but advisory and execution-only mandates should not be overlooked
2.5. Asset allocations: Demand for alternatives will increase the most
2.6. Offshore preferences: General geographic diversification is driving wealth abroad
2.7. HNW product and service demand: Wealth managers should ensure they include tax services
3. WEALTH MANAGERS WILL FIND FEMALE HNW INVESTORS AN ATTRACTIVE TARGET SEGMENT
3.1. On a regional level, France has one of the highest proportions of females who have sourced their wealth through earned income
3.1.1. Targeting females means adopting a tailored servicing approach
3.2. A significant proportion of female investors who sourced their wealth through earned income are employed in financial services
3.2.1. Female HNW investors employed in the financial services industry are likely to bank with their employer, but a strategy tailored around females distinct needs could change this
3.2.2. A female advisor base will aid in growing AUM for wealth managers
4. FRANCES SIGNIFICANT HNW EXPAT RETIREE POPULATION CALLS FOR A DEDICATED SERVICE PROPOSITION
4.1. Frances significant HNW expat retiree population calls for a dedicated targeting approach
4.1.1. Retirement is the single most important expatriation driver in France
4.1.2. Wealth managers must cater to the needs of Frances HNW expat retiree population
4.2. The 34.8%% of French HNW expats who migrated as part of a job transfer are less likely to reside in their country of choice permanently
4.2.1. Providers targeting investors who migrated as part of a job transfer need offshore capabilities
4.2.2. On the flip side, wealth managers in an expats country of origin may see the relationship terminated when a client expatriates to France
5. A WIDE RANGE OF INVESTMENTS AND INVESTMENT STYLES WILL MITIGATE INVESTORS PROPENSITY TO SPREAD WEALTH ACROSS MULTIPLE PROVIDERS
5.1. A multi-service proposition is key to address HNW investors promiscuity
5.1.1. Discretionary services attract the largest proportion of French HNW wealth, but demand for other mandates is set to increase the most
5.1.2. To avoid losing cost-conscious clients to competitors, wealth managers should offer low-cost self-directed channels
5.2. Access to a wide range of investment products and relationship management will allow providers to capture a greater share of wallet
5.2.1. Gaining access to a wide range of investments is the key driver for professional financial management
5.2.2. However, wealth managers need to focus on relationships for clients to remain loyal
6. THE PORTFOLIO MIX REMAINS UNCHANGED, BUT GROWING EXPERTISE IS PROMPTING INVESTORS TO TEST RISKIER INVESTMENTS
6.1. Providing a wide range of alternatives is critical in France
6.1.1. Equities dominate the typical HNW portfolio, but HNW demand for alternatives is forecast to experience the most pronounced increase
6.1.2. Alternatives are regarded as a prime diversifier
6.1.3. Providing access to alternatives will allow wealth managers to set themselves apart from the crowd, but a bit of handholding is essential
7. HNW INDIVIDUALS LIMIT DIVERSIFICATION BENEFITS AS THEY OFFSHORE WEALTH TO NEIGHBORING COUNTRIES
7.1. The majority of holdings are in equities due to their diversification benefits
7.1.1. General geographic diversification and tax benefits are the leading drivers to invest overseas
7.2. Providing sound tax advice is a must, given the importance of tax efficiencies as an offshore driver
7.2.1. Being able to provide sound tax advice is becoming more important than ever
8. INHERITANCE PLANNING PRESENTS OPPORTUNITIES TO GROW AUM
8.1. Despite strong demand, only 57% of wealth managers offer inheritance planning directly
8.2. Intergenerational wealth transfer will encourage demand for inheritance planning
9.1. Abbreviations and acronyms
9.2. Supplementary data
9.3.3. Liquid assets
9.4.1. Demographics data from GlobalDatas WealthInsight
9.4.2. GlobalDatas 2018 Global Wealth Managers Survey
9.4.3. Level of agreement calculation
9.4.4. Service level of demand score
9.4.5. Forecast level of demand calculation
9.5. Secondary sources
9.6. Further reading
List of Tables
Table 1: Cash and near-cash products: the importance of asset allocation drivers
Table 2: Equities: the importance of asset allocation drivers
Table 3: Bonds: the importance of asset allocation drivers
Table 4: Property: the importance of asset allocation drivers
Table 5: Commodities: the importance of asset allocation drivers
Table 6: Alternatives: the importance of asset allocation drivers
List of Figures
Figure 1: The wealth of the HNW population is mainly drawn from earned income
Figure 2: The majority of expats stay in the country for more than 10 years
Figure 3: Lack of expertise and time are the main reasons French HNW investors require professional advice
Figure 4: Demand for bonds is expected to decrease the most over the next 12 months
Figure 5: French HNW individuals booking center preferences are predominantly neighboring countries
Figure 6: Demand for socially responsible investments is expected to increase the most over the next 12 months
Figure 7: Earned income is a key source of French female HNW wealth
Figure 8: France has the highest proportion of women in Europe that source their wealth from the financial services industry
Figure 9: BNP Paribas pushes for gender equality in the workplace
Figure 10: France has the highest proportion of expats that moved for retirement purposes in Europe
Figure 11: Most expats in France originate from other European countries
Figure 12: London & Capital targets US expats in France
Figure 13: Lloyds Bank supports its clients while they are overseas
Figure 14: Advisory services are set to see the strongest growth
Figure 15: Sensitivity to fees has heightened, and the majority of French wealth managers see robo-advisors as a risk to market share
Figure 16: Access to more investment products is the lead driver for HNW individuals having their wealth professionally managed
Figure 17: Relationships are the key reasons investors choose their wealth manager over a competitor
Figure 18: HNW demand for alternatives is forecast to increase the most
Figure 19: French HNW investors main driver for investing in alternatives is their low correlation to financial markets
Figure 20: 40% of wealth managers strongly agree on the importance of trust to encourage alternative investments
Figure 21: French HNW individuals have one of the lowest proportions of portfolios offshore compared to other markets globally
Figure 22: The majority of French wealth managers believe wealth will return home following CRS
Figure 23: Offering inheritance planning services is important
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.