Ulcerative Colitis-Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2029
- December 2020
- 168 pages
Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a type of inflammatory bowel disease. In UC,
chronic inflammation affects the colon (also known as the large
intestines). Initially, UC usually manifests in the terminal part of the
colon, the rectum, and is termed ulcerative proctitis. It can extend to the
entire left part of the colon (left-sided proctitis) or the entire colon
(pancolitis). The current UC market is overcrowded with cheap generic drugs
for mild to moderate disease, expensive biologics such as anti-tumor
necrosis factors (TNFs) and anti-integrins, and biosimilars for severe
disease that are used as short- or long-term alternatives to surgical
options. The R&D within this space consists of 10 late-stage pipeline drugs
with five oral formulations, more convenient dosing frequencies, novel
mechanisms of action (MOAs), and improved safety profiles and drug
availability. However, the pipeline products will be challenged by the
increasing emergence of biosimilars, since the major brands will experience
patent cliffs throughout the forecast period. Furthermore, all but one drug
are being developed for moderate to severe UC, which will result in a
This model covers the market forecast for the marketed and late-stage pipeline UC therapeutics. The model segments patients by severity, with mild-moderate, moderate-severe, and severe/fulminant segments. The base year of this model is 2019, and the forecast period is 2020-2029.
KEY QUESTIONS ANSWERED
- Which unmet needs are limiting the treatment of ulcerative colitis in the 8MM?
- What strategies can the pharmaceutical industry employ to increase treatment rates for ulcerative colitis? How should these strategies differ across different geographical markets?
- What effect will the launch of biosimilars and generics have on the sales of branded agents?
- What are the main R&D trends in the ulcerative colitis market and which companies are leading the way? Are there major differences in the mechanisms of action used by therapies in late-stage versus early-stage clinical development?
- The greatest drivers of growth in the global UC market include the launch of 10 new pipeline therapies during the forecast period and an increasing diagnosed prevalence in many 8MM countries.
- The main barriers to growth in the UC market include the crowded and competitive market as well as patent expiration of key biologic brands with subsequent biosimilar launch.
- Novel drug classes in the UC pipeline include IL-23 inhibitors and S1P receptor modulators. In addition, Takeda will launch a subcutaneous version of their product, Entyvio, and two additional JAK inhibitors are expected to make their appearance on the market.
- The most important unmet needs in the UC market are for safer and more effective therapies, an improvement in management of fulminant patients, biomarkers to predict responsiveness to therapy, and standardization of patient-reported outcomes.
- Overview of UC including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Topline UC market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and major pipeline product sales in the forecast period.
- Key topics covered include current treatment and pipeline therapies, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting UC therapeutics sales in the 8MM.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global UC therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to Buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies, using a detailed overview of current pipeline products and technologies to identify companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global UC therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global UC market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global UC therapeutics market from 2019-2029.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Have query on this report?Make an Enquiry
Table of Contents
1 Ulcerative Colitis: Executive Summary
1.1 Large Growth is Expected for UC Market from 2019-2029
1.2 Competition and Biosimilar Threat Defines UC Market
1.3 Pipeline Products Partially Address Unmet Needs
1.4 Opportunities for Managing Severe/Fulminant Patients Remain
1.5 Subcutaneous Biologics and Oral Therapies to Drive Growth in UC Market
1.6 What Do Physicians and Payers Think?
2.2 Related Reports
2.3 Upcoming Related Reports
3 Disease Overview
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology
3.2 Classification or Staging Systems
3.4 Quality of Life
4.1 Disease Background
4.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities
4.3 Global and Historical Trends
4.4 Forecast Methodology
4.5 Epidemiological Forecast for UC (2019-2029)
5 Disease Management
5.1 Diagnosis and Treatment Overview
5.2 Treatment Overview
5.3 Treatment Guidelines and Leading Prescribed Drugs
List of Tables
Table 1: UC: Key Metrics in the 8MM
Table 2: Truelove and Witts Categorization of Disease Severity and Clinical Parameters
Table 3: Montreal Classification for the Distribution of UC
Table 4: Typical Symptoms of UC
Table 5: Risk Factors and Comorbidities for UC and IBD
Table 6: Guidelines Used for Managing UC
Table 7: Country Profile - US
Table 8: Country Profile - 5EU
Table 9: Country Profile - Japan
Table 10: Country Profile - Canada
Table 11: Leading Treatments for UC, 2020
Table 12: Johnson & Johnsons Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 13: AbbVies Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 14: Takedas Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 15: Pfizers Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 16: Eli Lillys Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 17: EA Pharmas Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 18: Galapagos Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 19: Bristol-Myers Squibbs Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2019
Table 20: Arenas Disease Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 21: Disease UC Market - Global Drivers and Barriers, 2019-2029
Table 22: Key Events Impacting Sales for Disease UC in the US, 2019-2029
Table 23: Disease UC Market - Drivers and Barriers in the US, 2019-2029
Table 24: Key Events Impacting Sales for Disease UC in the 5EU, 2019-2029
Table 25: Disease UC Market - Drivers and Barriers in the 5EU, 2019-2029
Table 26: Key Events Impacting Sales for Disease UC in Japan, 2019-2029
Table 27: Disease UC Market - Drivers and Barriers in Japan, 2019-2029
Table 28: Key Events Impacting Sales for Disease UC in Canada, 2019-2029
Table 29: UC Market -Drivers and Barriers in Canada, 2019-2029
Table 30: Key Historical and Projected Launch Dates for UC
Table 31: Key Historical and Projected Patent Expiry Dates for UC
Table 32: High-Prescribing Physicians (non-KOLs) Surveyed, By Country
The team was the biggest help to us. Not only were we provided with customized solutions but also we were guided through the most complicated situations. The information was on-point yet comprehensive. The experience was absolutely satisfying and helped us turn many challenges into opportunities.
Ours is a startup with a unique set of challenges and we were therefore hesitant but the team totally put us at ease with their knowledge and expertise. Our business and its challenges were understood perfectly and help was extended accordingly. The tailor made approach really helped us gain the most informative insights.
The report repository is absolutely impressive –updated and exhaustive in terms of markets covered and information provides. Besides, with the support extended to us by the team, we could reduce costs as well as move to sustainable growth. This really helped us tap into new opportunities. Happy to have gone ahead with ResearchMos.us.
We have had a long term engagement with ResearchMoz.us and never have we felt that the work done and help extended were below flawless. The report repository is one of the best one can hope to tap into. Recently, our partner businesses opted for consultancy services and they are all thrilled with the outcome.
Insights from reports helped us improve our profit margins significantly. Most of the knowledge we needed on the market were provided to us on a granular basis. From trends, and drivers to competitive analysis, the information was not just crisp but also insightful. That helped us chart a robust growth strategy and as of now we are happy to state that we are reaping big benefits.
More from Pharmaceutical
PharmaceuticalChinese Markets for Mental Illness Drugs
PharmaceuticalChinese Markets for Anti-Dermatomycosis Skin Drugs
PharmaceuticalChinese Markets for Incretion Drugs
PharmaceuticalChinese Markets for Hypertension Drugs
Pharmaceuticals and HealthcareGlobal Bionic Ears Market Professional Survey Report 2017
Pharmaceuticals and HealthcareNeuropsychiatric Disorder Cluster Drug Development Pipeline Review, 2017
Pharmaceuticals and HealthcareHepatitis Drug Development Pipeline Review, 2017