Tin-plated cans Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2018 - 2028
- Transparency Market Research
Tin-plated cans: Introduction & Significance
Tinplate is a thin steel sheet with a tin coating. Tinplate is one of the most common materials used for the production of metal cans, which serve the foodservice industry, and others. Tin-plated cans have been witnessing a steady growth in demand, which is attributed to several features such as an excellent barrier, good mechanical properties, and high moisture resistance, among others. The global push for the use of recyclable packaging solutions is expected to faciliate the growth in preference for packaging solutions such as tin plate cans. Tin plate cans are also used for storage and preservation of food by canning, which is regarded as one of the most efficient methods available. Furthermore, tin-plated cans also find applications in the beverage packaging industry, with cans being one of the most preferred packaigng formats for the modern consumer. Cans have therefore witnessed growing usage among consumers across the world.
A robust research methodology was adopted to determine the market size for tin-plated cans.
The collected numbers are primarily obtained from key tin-plated can manufacturers in the world, their product offerings, sales revenues in each market verticals. Sales revenue from tin-plated cans was estimated after comprehensive product mapping. Various market and industry experts, which includes sales and marketing heads of tin-plated can manufacturers, independent consultants, and distributors, were contacted to validate the penetration of tin-plated cans in the total cans market.
The overall end use market size was determined, and the penetration of tin-plated cans was determined in eash of the end uses. The total value and demand for tin-plated cans was mapped in each end use industry, across the world.
This approach is followed for the global market, and bottom-up analysis was used to arrive at the market size of tin-plated cans, in terms of consumption and revenue.
Global tin-plated cans market: Segmentation
The global tin-plated cans market has been segmented as follows –
On the basis of tinplate type, the global tin-plated cans market has been segmented as follows –
- 1-piece tinplate
- 2-piece tinplate
- 3-piece tinplate
On the basis of product type, the global tin-plated cans market has been segmented as follows –
- Paint cans
- Oblong/F-style cans
- Conetop cans
- Monotop cans
- Aerosol cans
- Edible oil cans
On the basis of end use, the global tin-plated cans market has been segmented as follows –
Tin-plating in cans is preferred in the pharmaceutical industry due to its high corrosion resistant properties. Apart from pharmaceuticals, tin-plated cans are widely used in the food & beverage industry. An increasing number of beverage packaging manufacturers are making the shift from larger to smaller packaging formats, such as cans, which go well with the on-the-go lifestyle of modern consumers. Tin-plated cans are also widely used for storing chemicals such as paint.
On the basis of capacity, the global tin-plated cans market has been segmented as follows –
- <350 ml
- 350 – 500 ml
- 500 – 1000 ml
- 1000 – 2000 ml
- 2000 – 5000 ml
- >5000 ml
*Pricing of tin-plated cans has been tracked on the basis of capacity.
Global tin-plated cans market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global tin-plated cans market are –
Tier 1 (Companies with segmental revenue > US$ 50 Mn)
- Ardagh Group S.A.
- Ball Corporation
- Crown Holdings, Inc.
Tier 2 (Companies with segmental revenue between US$ 20 Mn and 50 Mn)
- Cerviflan Industrial E Comercial Ltda
- Colep Portugal S.A.
Tier 3 (Companies with segmental revenue < US$ 20 Mn)
- NCI Packaging
- Jamestrong Packaging
- Aryum Aerosol Cans Ltd
Key raw material suppliers for the industry include –
- The Tinplate Company of India Limited
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
- Toyo Kohan Co., Ltd.
Key developments & Trends
The global tin-plated cans market is expected to grow, in tandem with the changing consumer perceptions. The high adoption rate of on-the-go food and beverage consumptions habit is anticipated to be a key factor driving the growth of the global tin-plated cans market. One key trend observed among beverage packaging manufacturers is the reduction in size of pack. Cans have long been preferred as a safe means of food storage, as they have the ability to keep the food protected against moisture, insects, and microorganisms for a longer period of time.
- Many manufacturers of tin-plated cans, brand owners, and metal packaging solutions providers understand the importance of tin-plating as a sales medium, and therefore, a significant number of tin-plated cans come printed with useful information on their surfaces. Therefore, tin-plated cans are being used as a marketing tool
- A number of patents have been filed on various methods of surface treatment of tin plated cans. Therefore, a significant amount of research is being done on ways to enhance the quality of tin-plating.
- The recent tariffs imposed on imported aluminium and steel has created quite a stir on the U.S. food & beverage companies, as well as internationally. Some of the countries which have been suspended from the tariffs are – Argentina, Australia, Brazil, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, and the European Union. Dialogues are ongoing between the U.S. government and the countries which are not in the list of countries mentioned above, and export aluminium and steel to the U.S.
- Developments such as the one above could have tremendous impact on the growth of the global tin-plated cans market, during the forecast period.
The road ahead
Tin-plated cans are expected to have a positive, yet turbulent outlook during the forecast period. However, due to competition from alternatives such as tin-free steel, the growth might be hampered. The cost of tin-free steel is lower than tin-plating, and therefore, has found wide usage in containers and fixed ends for processed food cans. The sales of tin-plated cans also varies from one place to another.
For instance, although tinplates are used for food cans, milk cans, and bottle crown caps outside Japan, there is very limited application of tinplate in Japan for food cans. Therefore, tinplates are primarily used for coffee beverage cans in Japan. Furthermore, it is yet to be seen how the market shapes up post U.S. aluminium and steel tariffs.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
Have query on this report?Make an Enquiry
The team was the biggest help to us. Not only were we provided with customized solutions but also we were guided through the most complicated situations. The information was on-point yet comprehensive. The experience was absolutely satisfying and helped us turn many challenges into opportunities.
Ours is a startup with a unique set of challenges and we were therefore hesitant but the team totally put us at ease with their knowledge and expertise. Our business and its challenges were understood perfectly and help was extended accordingly. The tailor made approach really helped us gain the most informative insights.
The report repository is absolutely impressive –updated and exhaustive in terms of markets covered and information provides. Besides, with the support extended to us by the team, we could reduce costs as well as move to sustainable growth. This really helped us tap into new opportunities. Happy to have gone ahead with ResearchMos.us.
We have had a long term engagement with ResearchMoz.us and never have we felt that the work done and help extended were below flawless. The report repository is one of the best one can hope to tap into. Recently, our partner businesses opted for consultancy services and they are all thrilled with the outcome.
Insights from reports helped us improve our profit margins significantly. Most of the knowledge we needed on the market were provided to us on a granular basis. From trends, and drivers to competitive analysis, the information was not just crisp but also insightful. That helped us chart a robust growth strategy and as of now we are happy to state that we are reaping big benefits.
More from Packaging
PackagingChinese Markets for Industrial Packaging