The Cards and Payments Industry in Turkey: Emerging Trends and Opportunities to 2020
GlobalDatas "The Cards and Payments Industry in Turkey: Emerging Trends and Opportunities to 2020", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Turkish cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including credit transfers, payment cards and checks during the review period (2012-2016).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review period and over the forecast period (2016-2020). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalDatas research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
The report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Turkish cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Turkish cards and payments industry, including debit and credit cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including credit transfers, checks, and payment cards. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis and payment methods.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Turkish cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit and credit cards.
- BKM introduced a national payment clearing system, Turkeys Payment Method (Troy), in April 2016 to increase competition in the debit cards market. Troy entered into agreements with all banks to offer Troy-branded debit cards in the country. Troys processing fee is lower than its competitors, making it more viable for small retailers to accept cards, increasing overall acceptance.
- To increase credit card use in the country, the BRSA relaxed credit card installment payment plans and consumer loan restrictions by increasing the consumer loan maturity limit from 36 to 48 months in 2016. The installment payment period was raised on credit card purchases from nine to 12 months. In February 2014 the BRSA placed limits on credit card use in relation to income, and restrictions on credit card installments for certain products to tackle consumer debt and rising consumer and corporate loans.
- Turkish consumer uptake of alternative payments is gaining traction, as both banks and payment service providers launch new products. The latest being the launch of the Yap Kredi Wallet app by Yap Kredi in 2016. The service enables registered users to add credit card details onto the wallet and make contactless mobile payments. Mastercard launched its MasterPass digital wallet in Turkey in June 2015, partnering with merchants such as Caff Nero, Bi Taksi and Getir, which ran promotional campaigns.
Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Turkish cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Turkish cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Turkish cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Turkey.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Turkish cards and payments industry.
Table of Contents
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 2
1.1. Market overview 2
1.2. Key facts 3
1.3. Top five industry events 4
2. PAYMENT INSTRUMENTS 10
2.1. Current payment environment 10
3. E-COMMERCE AND ALTERNATIVE PAYMENTS 12
3.1. E-Commerce market analysis 12
3.2. Alternative payment solutions 14
3.2.1. Cep-T Czdan 14
3.2.2. MasterPass 14
3.2.3. Yap Kredi Wallet app 14
3.2.4. Isbank Parakod app 14
3.2.5. BKM Express 14
3.2.6. PayMobile 15
3.2.7. PayU 15
4. REGULATIONS IN THE CARDS AND PAYMENTS INDUSTRY 16
4.1. Regulatory framework 16
4.1.1. Card issuance and related obligations 16
4.1.2. Consumer Protection 17
4.1.3. Credit card regulations 17
4.2. Anti-money laundering 18
4.3. Foreign direct investment regulations 18
5. ANALYSIS OF CARDS AND PAYMENTS INDUSTRY DRIVERS 19
6. PAYMENT CARDS 22
7. DEBIT CARDS 24
7.1. Debit cards market analysis 24
7.2. Competition in the debit cards market 26
7.3. Debit cards comparison 28
8. PAY LATER CARDS 29
8.1. Pay later cards market analysis 29
8.2. Competition in the pay later cards market 31
8.3. Pay later cards comparison 33
9. PREPAID CARDS 34
10. MERCHANT ACQUIRING 35
11. APPENDIX 38
11.1. Abbreviations and acronyms 38
11.2. Supplementary data 39
11.3. Definitions 51
11.4. Methodology 53
11.5. Bibliography 55
11.6. Further reading 55
List of Tables
Table 1: Turkey, Key Facts, 2016 3
Table 2: Turkey, Regional Benchmarking of Payment Cards, 2016 3
Table 3: Turkey, Mode of Entry of Foreign Banks 18
Table 4: Turkey, Debit Cards Comparison and Key Features, 2017 28
Table 5: Turkey, Gold Cr
List of Figures
Figure 1: Turkey, Payment Instrument Shares by Transaction Value (%), 2012 vs 2016 10
Figure 2: Turkey, Payment Instrument Shares by Transaction Volume (%), 2012 vs 2016 11
Figure 3: Turkey, E-Commerce Value 12
Figure 4: Turkey, Population and Economic Indicators 19
Figure 5: Turkey, ATMs, POS Terminals and Household Consumption 20
Figure 6: Turkey, Payment Cards Transaction Value and Cards in Circulation, 2012-2020 22
Figure 7: Turkey, Debit Card Penetration and Turnover Per Card 24
Figure 8: Turkey, Debit Cards Scheme and Issuer Transaction Value Share, 2016 26
Figure 9: Turkey, Pay Later Card Penetration and Turnover Per Card 29
Figure 10: Turkey, Pay Later Cards Scheme and Issuer Transaction Value Share, 2016 31
Figure 11: Turkey, Prepaid Cards in Circulation and Transaction Value, 2012-2020 34
Figure 12: Turkey, Merchant Acquiring Transaction Volume and Value, 2012-2020 35
Figure 13: Turkey, Acquirers Market Share in Terms of Transaction Volume and Value (%), 2015 36
Figure 14: Turkey, Average Merchant Service Charge and Interchange Fee (%), 2012-2020 37
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.