Switzerland - Travel & Tourism: A volume driven market (Strategy, Performance and Risk Analysis)
Switzerland is one of the worlds most competitive economies and ranks highly in terms of country attractiveness across Western Europe. A stable economy supported by proactive governance, economic policies, business environment, and availability of funding supports investments.
Total tourist volume increased at 0.7% CAGR from 30.6 million in 2012 to 31.5 million in 2016 and is expected to increase at 1.8% CAGR from 31.9 million in 2017 to 34.3 million in 2021. The increase is attributed to the rise in the number of international arrivals and domestic leisure trips. In terms of car rentals in Switzerland, a steady growth was observed over 2012-16 in the number of rental days and the number of rental occasions and the growth is expected to continue due to the increase in domestic tourism, the number of car rental companies and fleet size.
MarketLine Premiums industry reports provide a comprehensive market view including sections on: risk and reward, key industry trends and drivers, industry SWOT analysis, industry benchmarking to compare key performance indicators with regional and global markets, competitive landscape, industry innovation, deals and key developments.
Luxury category to drive the hotel revenue
The total hotel revenue increased at 2.9% CAGR from US$6,158.3 million in 2012 to US$6,925.7 million in 2016 and is expected to increase at 3.3% CAGR from US$7,360.8 million in 2017 to US$8,391.7 million in 2021. The increase in the hotel revenue is primarily due to the increase in the revenue of the luxury category hotels because of the increase in the number of tourists and the number of available rooms due to the expansion of operations by existing and new hotel chains operating in the country. The revenue of the luxury segment increased at 1.6% CAGR from US$2,228.0 million in 2012 to US$2,371.3 million in 2016 and is expected to increase at 2.8% CAGR from US$2,490.5 million in 2017 to US$2,778.2 million in 2021.
Increasing number of tourists to drive the market value
The increase in the market value is due to the increase in demand for car rentals in the leisure segment because of the increasing number of international and domestic leisure tourists. The leisure category accounts for the majority of the car rental market value. The leisure category market value increased at 1.7% CAGR from US$216.3 million in 2012 to US$231.3 million in 2016 and is expected to increase at 2.9% CAGR from US$245.5 million in 2017 to US$274.9 million in 2021.
Revenue per available room to increase
The increase in the revenue per available room is attributed to the increase in the revenue per available room of the luxury segment because of increasing number of tourists. The revenue per available room for the luxury category increased at 2.4% CAGR from US$588.8 in 2012 to US$648.3 in 2016 and is expected to increase at 1.9% CAGR from US$680.5 in 2017 to US$735.3 in 2021.
- Risk & Reward Index - The Risk & Reward index compares the position of the Swiss travel and tourism industry vis--vis other countries in the region in terms of specific risk and reward parameters.
- Industry Snapshot and Industry View - Key travel and tourism industry statistics including total revenue and expenditure for key industry segments and the trends driving market performance in the Swiss travel and tourism market.
- Industry SWOT Analysis - Discover the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats impacting market performance and investment in the Swiss travel and tourism market.
- Industry Benchmarking - Benchmark how the Swiss travel and tourism market is performing compared to regional and global markets in terms of car rental fleet size, car rental revenue, number of hotels, hotel revenue, passenger airline revenue, seats available and seats sold, revenue of travel intermediaries and tourism expenditure growth.
- Competitive Landscape - Overview of relevant players in the Swiss travel and tourism industry such as airlines, hotels and car rental companies, with each player in the relevant category compared with its peers in terms of relevant industry indicators.
Reasons to buy
- How is the market performing in terms of indicators such as total tourist visits, passenger airline seats sold, seats sold by purpose of visit such as leisure, revenue, room nights available, room nights occupied, hotel revenue, car rental days among others.
- How risky is it to invest in the Swiss travel and tourism industry compared to other countries in Europe?
- What is driving the performance of key industry segments such as passenger airlines, accommodation and car rentals?
- Who are the leading players in the Swiss travel and tourism industry and their overview and product portfolio?
- What trends are being witnessed within the Swiss travel and tourism industry?
- What are the Swiss travel and tourism industrys Strengths and Weaknesses and what Opportunities and Threats does it face?
- What are the recent developments and innovations in the Swiss travel and tourism industry?
Risk & Reward Index 3
Industry Snapshot 7
Industry View 10
Industry SWOT Analysis 14
Industry Benchmarking 20
Industry Performance 30
Competitive Landscape 43
Key Developments 59
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.