Smoking Tobacco in Belgium and Luxembourg, 2019
The Belgian smoking tobacco market is currently dominated by cigarettes and smoking tobacco. The cigarettes sector amounted to 49.4% of volumes in 2018, although falling sales have reduced its share over the past decade. Smoking tobacco, in contrast, has performed better, with sales rising to 2014, although recently they have dropped back. The result is an overall 21.7% increase in volume, with share up at 47.5% in 2018. Cigar and cigarillo volumes fell by 30.1% over the same period, with their share down at 2.7% in 2018.
Smoking Tobacco in Belgium and Luxembourg, 2019 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Belgian tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
- In per capita terms, sales of FCT are a forecast 1,035g a year in 2018.
- Belgium's ad valorem and VAT incidence had been stable until recently, when rates have begun increasing. A specific excise duty was introduced in 2006 and was up at 42.35 per kg in 2018.
- GlobalData estimates that 15.4% of adults were classed as regular smokers in 2017, equivalent to 1.4 million Individuals in total.
- In terms of inland sales, the market supports a mix of national and international brands. Turner, Elixyr, and Ducal are notable in Luxembourg while Ajja is notable in Belgium.
Reasons to buy
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers. Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning. The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
Table of Contents
Tobacco products market (%), 2008 & 2018
Tobacco products market (tons), 2008-2018
Market size and structure
Smoking tobacco consumption, tons, 2008-2018
Per capita consumption, grams per year, 2008-2018
Smoking tobacco: market segmentation for Belgium and Luxembourg, 2008-2018
Cigarette consumption: manufactured v FCT, 2008-2018
FCT: inland consumption, 2008-2018
Belgium: FCT sales by type, 2009-2018
Production and trade
Imports, tons, 2007-2017
Belgium, imports by top countries of origin, volume %, 2017
Belgium, imports by top countries of origin, value %, 2017
Luxembourg, imports by top countries of origin, volume %, 2017
Luxembourg, imports by top countries of origin, value %, 2017
Belgium, imports of smoking tobacco in packs 500g, tons, 2008-2017
Belgium, imports of smoking tobacco in packs 500g, 000, 2008-2017
Luxembourg, imports of smoking tobacco in packs 500g, tons, 2008-2017
Luxembourg, imports of smoking tobacco in packs 500g, 000, 2008-2017
Exports, tons, 2007-2017
Taxation and retail prices
Fine-cut tobacco: tax structure & development,
Belgium 2006-2017, as % of retail price
Fine-cut tobacco: tax structure & development,
Luxembourg 2006-2017, as % of retail price
EU: fine-cut tobacco tax incidence comparison, 2017
Smoking tobacco in packs retail prices, Belgium, 2017
Manufacturers and brands
Belgium & Luxembourg FCT manufacturer shares by country, 2017
Belgium & Luxembourg FCT: manufacturer shares, volume, %, 2011-2017
Belgium FCT: manufacturer shares, volume, %, 2011-2017
Luxembourg FCT: manufacturer shares, volume, %, 2011-2017
Belgium: FCT manufacturer shares, inland sales, 2008-2010
Belgium & Luxembourg (inc. cross-border): FCT brand family shares, %, 2017
Belgium & Luxembourg (inc. cross-border): top 10 leading FCT brands, 2017
Belgium & Luxembourg (inland only): FCT brand family shares, %, 2017
The smoking population
Belgium: adult smoking prevalence, by gender, %, 2004-2014
Belgium: smoking population, daily by age, 2005, 2008 & 2011
Belgium: smoking population usership by age group, 2014
Tobacco use by product and age groups, %, 2014
Tobacco use by product and gender, %, 2014
Luxembourg: current smokers by sex and age group, %, 2015
Heath warnings and labelling requirements
Belgium: outlets used for purchasing cigarettes and RYO/MYO, 2018
Luxembourg: tobacco distribution by outlet type, 2010
Prospects and forecasts
UEBL fine-cut tobacco consumption, tons, 2018-2028
UEBL per capita consumption, grams per year, 2018-2028
Additional data tables
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.