Poland has an oligopolistic market for banking services, with the two largest providers PKO Bank Polski and mBank controlling over a third of the current account market. PKO Bank Polski also dominates the market for savings and mortgages. Although online product application is gaining at the expense of branches, uptake is limited by the failure of banks to offer fully digital onboarding. Mobile banking has been eagerly embraced by younger consumers, although usage among this demographic still lags behind online banking.
- Reputation is consistently the single strongest driver of provider choice, particularly among pre-family consumers. This demographic lacks experience of financial services, and hence gravitates towards familiar, well-known brands.
- Borrowers have a strong preference for direct mortgage arrangement, with more than two thirds choosing this option. Among the remainder who opt for indirect arrangement, preferences are equally split between specialist mortgage brokers and more generalist IFAs.
- Branches are still by far the most widely used channel for loan application, accounting for six in 10 current loans. At present, the two leading providers, Bank Pekao and PKO Bank Polski, only allow applicants to register their initial loan enquiries online, with subsequent contact via callbacks from bank staff.
Retail Banking Country Snapshot: Poland 2016 reviews the retail banking sector in Poland, with a particular focus on the current account, savings, mortgage, and personal loans markets. It includes both market-level data and insight from our Retail Banking Insight Survey.
The report offers insight into:
- How consumers in Poland take out and use their financial products, and how this has changed in recent years.
- Which providers dominate the current account, savings, mortgage, and loan markets, and what factors persuaded their customers to choose them.
- The extent to which consumers are using online and mobile channels to research, take out, and use their financial products.
- Future proof your strategy with market sizing, forecasts, and analysis of key developments currently affecting the Polish retail banking sector.
- Target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behaviors and attitudes, with detailed analysis from our proprietary insight.
- Learn about the impact new entrants and distribution channels will have on the market.
Table of Contents
Bank Infrastructure & Regulation
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.