Indonesia has a sizable segment that resembles a development stage similar to markets such as Malaysia. Consumers within this segment are very much like those in developed markets, whereby they embrace the convenience brought to banking by digital platforms and are sensitive about price. On the other hand, a significant proportion of the adult population still do not have a bank account. This highlights the massive opportunities that lie ahead in the Indonesian retail banking sector.
- Overall, Trust and Fear were the highest rated, meaning consumers value honesty and are still somewhat wary of banks. This indicates that providers have yet to gain the trust of their customers unsurprising in a market where few consumers have had long relationships with any financial institution.
- Reputation, branch location, and ease of application are the most influential factors driving choice of provider. Reputation is key, which favors established providers. Consumers also place high importance on branch proximity, which is not surprising given that the market is still highly unbanked and fragmented by islands.
- As a developing market with a fairly large unbanked population, the savings account market in Indonesia has been experiencing high growth. Going forward it is expected to grow at an even faster rate, partly driven by the governments initiative to enhance financial inclusion.
- As in other markets in Asia Pacific, online has become a preferred channel for routine banking activities. However, mobile will rapidly make inroads as smartphone penetration has reached the masses. New clients from the unbanked are more likely to be accessing the internet via their phones and so we expect a shift towards mobile banking, particularly among young consumers.
Verdict Financials Retail Banking Consumer Insight: Indonesia 2016 reviews the retail banking sector in Indonesia, with a particular focus on the current account, savings, mortgage, and personal loans markets. It includes both market-level data and insight from our global Retail Banking Insight Survey.
The report offers insight into:
- How consumers in Indonesia take out and use their financial products, and how this has changed in recent years.
- Which providers dominate the current account, savings, mortgage, and loan markets, and what factors persuaded their customers to choose them.
- The extent to which consumers are using online and mobile channels to research, take out, and use their financial products.
- Future proof your strategy with market sizing, forecasts, and analysis of key developments currently affecting Indonesias retail banking sector.
- Target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behaviors and attitudes, with detailed analysis from our proprietary insight.
- Learn about the impact new entrants and distribution channels will have on the market.
Table of Contents
Bank infrastructure & regulation
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.