Plastic production has increased by about 200 times since 1950. Only 9% of the plastic ever made has been recycled. The remainder is burned or thrown away into nature or landfills. Since plastic is so rigid, it can last for centuries without breaking down. This means that plastics made and thrown away in the past are often found in the earths oceans.
The plastic in oceans originates in both land-based and marine sources. It is estimated that nearly 80% of ocean plastics come from land-based sources and the remaining 20% comes from marine sources. Plastic marine waste refers to pollution from fishing fleets, which leave behind fishing nets, boats, ropes and sometimes abandoned vessels. Of the 20% from maritime sources, approximately 10% is estimated to come from fishing fleets. This is backed by estimates from the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) which shows that unused, missing or discarded fishing gear contributes about 10% of total ocean plastic.
There are several routes via which plastic enters the ocean ecosystem. Plastic reaches the ocean from coastlines, rivers, tides and aquatic sources."
- An overview of the recycled ocean plastics market
- Analyses of the global market trends with data from 2018 to 2019, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2024
- Insight into the Top 20 countries ranked by mass of mismanaged plastic and input of plastic to the oceans from most polluting rivers across the World
- Information on opportunities and challenges with respect to using plastic waste as a resource with the help of recycled ocean plastics"
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Recycled Ocean Plastics Market
Plastics in the World's Surface Ocean
Use Plastic Waste as a Resource
Market Forecast of Recycled Ocean Plastics by Resin Type
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
Market for Recycled Ocean Plastics by End Use
Industrial and Commercial
Market for Recycled Ocean Plastics by Region
Asia-Pacific Market for Recycled Ocean Plastics
European Market for Recycled Ocean Plastics
North American Market for Recycled Ocean Plastics
RoW Market for Recycled Ocean Plastics
Reason for Doing This Study
Related BCC Research Reports
List of Table
List of Tables
Table 1 : Global Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by Resin Type, Through 2024
Table 2 : Global Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by End User, Through 2024
Table 3 : Top 20 Countries Ranked by Mass of Mismanaged Plastic
Table 4 : Global Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by Region, Through 2024
Table 5 : Asia-Pacific Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by Country, Through 2024
Table 6 : European Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by Country, Through 2024
Table 7 : North American Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by Country, Through 2024
Table 8 : RoW Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by Country/Region, Through 2024
List of Chart
List of Figures
Figure 1 : Input of Plastic into Oceans from the Most Polluting Rivers Across the World, 2017
Figure 2 : Plastics Throughout the Worlds Surface Oceans, 2017
Figure 3 : Global Market Volumes of Recycled Ocean Plastics, by Resin Type, 2018-2024
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.