Plastics Punnets Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2016 - 2027
- Transparency Market Research
Globally, the plastic punnets are prominently used packaging solutions for the packaging of the fresh produce, food, and vegetable products. This type of packaging format has gained significant attention in the last few years due to the substantial increase in the demand for lightweight packaging solutions across the globe to reduce overall waste generated due to high consumption of the materials in conventional packaging formats. The plastics punnets are also used for the packaging of some agricultural, food, and dairy products. It provides optimum transit protection and shelf life to the products stored in it. Due to increase in demand for the efficient and cost-friendly packaging solution in the food industry, plastic punnets have become the first choice for most of the food processors for packaging of their products. Also, plastics punnets are substantially replacing the paper-based packaging products in the food packaging market due to its cheaper cost and better characteristics.
The demand for plastics punnets is expected to increase at a CAGR value of 4%-5% during the next five years. Some of the key players in the plastics punnets market are engaged in the research and development of this product to further reduce cost factor and increase profitability margin.
- In August 2012, Italy-based packaging manufacturer ILIP entered into a joint project with the Department of Fruit Trees and Woody Plant Sciences at the University of Bologna to find out the role played by the packaging product in the preservation of the fresh produce.
- Also, some of the companies such as LC Packaging International BV, are offering plastics punnets made up of the 100% recycled synthetic material. This not only differentiates their product offerings from other players but also creates a better brand image in the market. However, this trend is expected to be followed by other packaging companies too due to increasing rules and regulations over the use of conventional plastic materials, primarily in Europe.
- Recently, Holfeld Plastics, a manufacturer of rigid plastic packaging products, has extended its existing production line by introducing new product portfolio for packaging of soft fruits. The expansion is primarily driven by the increasing customer demand for family-sized and promotional packs along with the need for innovation in the existing product line. The pack is also suitable for top sealing and auto de-nesting which improves the air flow and reduces the condensation when punnets are stacked.
It has been analyzed that almost half of the packaged fresh-cut fruits available in the market are packaged in the plastics punnets. Moreover, the demand will further increase due to high growth in the packaged fresh-cut fruits market which is estimated to grow at approximately 15% annually. The plastics punnets market is highly fragmented with the strong presence of small manufacturers in the domestic market.
By Material Type
PET and Polypropylene are the most prominent materials used for the production of the plastics punnets globally.
- INFIA Srl, a leading manufacturer of the fruit packaging products, offers wide range of plastic punnets made up of the recycled PET and Polypropylene material. The company is headquartered in Bertinoro, Italy and distributes more than 3 billion trays in South America, North America, Africa, Australia, Asia, and Europe through its strong sales network located globally. The company generated approximately US$ 80 million in sales in 2016.
Growing concerns over the use of PET material in most of the countries is expected to decline its growth in the next few years. However, few countries have recently established domestic PET recycling plants in order to cope with this problem. For eg. - In Aug. 2017, Flight Group Ltd. started a first PET recycling plant in New Zealand with an investment of US$ 12 million.
- Less than 250 grams
- 250 – 500 grams
- 500 – 1000 grams
- More than 1000 grams
It has been analyzed that the 250 – 500 grams and 500 – 1000 grams segments dominate the plastics punnets market. Most of the fresh-cut fruits and vegetables are packaged in these two capacity segments. Also, most of the prominent companies such as INFIA Srl, offer a large variety of plastics punnets in these packaging capacities.
By Sales Channel
- B2B Sales
- B2C Sales
On the basis of sales channel, the plastics punnets market is segmented as B2B and B2C Sales. Plastics punnets are purchased in bulk by the B2B customers such as food and vegetable processors. Packaging companies also offer a wide range of branding and customization options to these customers. However, B2C sales include some standard shapes and sizes widely available in the market.
By End Use
- Packaged Food
The primary applications for the plastics punnets packaging are fresh produce, fruits, and vegetables. All of these account for more than 50%-60% of the overall plastic punnets market, by end use. Also, the growth in the fresh-cut fruits market has boosted the demand of plastic punnets packaging in the segment. Growing awareness towards more healthier and convenient lifestyle in the developed countries has boosted the demand for packaged food, fruits, and vegetables. Increase in demand for these products will further boost the demand for plastic punnets in these segments.
Some of the indicating factors which may further increase the demand for plastics punnets in near future are:
- According to Food and Agriculture Association, the demand for fruits and vegetables has increased drastically in the high-income countries such as U.S., Germany, Italy, etc.
- It is estimated that the demand for healthy food products will reach nearly US$ 1 trillion in 2017. Also, it has been found in a survey that consumers are ready to pay more for the products which promote weight loss and boost health.
On the basis of region, the plastics punnets market is segmented into seven regions which include North America, Latin America, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and Japan.
The North America and Europe are the second and third most prominent region in terms of consumption of the Plastics Punnets. The demand for plastics punnets has increased significantly in these regions due to changing consumer preferences towards more healthier and convenient lifestyle. Consumers are even ready to pay more for the healthy food in these countries. Almost half of the packaged fruits and vegetables supplied in these markets are packaged in the plastics punnets and the number is expected to increase in the near future as more options with recycled materials will be introduced in the market. In some of the countries in Europe, it is found that more than 80% of the consumers now prefer buying any grocery item in the recyclable packaging format. It also creates an opportunity for the new entrants in the market to gain significant market share by offering plastic punnets made up of recycled material.
Some of the key players in the plastics punnets market are LC Packaging International B.V., Carters Packaging Limited, T&B Containers Limited, Nicholas Packaging, YV Packaging, Sullivan Packaging, Velkan Engineering Pvt, Ltd., Raptis Pax Pty Ltd, Evesham Specialist Packaging Ltd., Holfeld Plastics Ltd., Tacca Industries, INFIA Srl, Peter Grice Packaging Ltd, Marinucci Australia Pty Ltd., Ampulla Ltd., GROUPE GUILLIN, NGP Plastic SA, Pactiv LLC, and Element Pack Pty Ltd.
Tier 1 Companies: INFIA Srl, LC Packaging International B.V., Pactiv LLC, Groupe Guillin, Holdfeld Plastics Ltd.
Tier 2 Companies: T&B Containers Limited, Nicholas Packaging, Sullivan Packaging, Velkan Engineering Pvt, Ltd., Marinucci Australia Pty Ltd., NGP Plastic SA
Tier 3 Companies: YV Packaging, Raptis Pax Pty Ltd, Evesham Specialist Packaging Ltd., Tacca Industries, Grice Packaging Ltd, Ampulla Ltd., and Element Pack Pty Ltd.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
Have query on this report?Make an Enquiry
The team was the biggest help to us. Not only were we provided with customized solutions but also we were guided through the most complicated situations. The information was on-point yet comprehensive. The experience was absolutely satisfying and helped us turn many challenges into opportunities.
Ours is a startup with a unique set of challenges and we were therefore hesitant but the team totally put us at ease with their knowledge and expertise. Our business and its challenges were understood perfectly and help was extended accordingly. The tailor made approach really helped us gain the most informative insights.
The report repository is absolutely impressive –updated and exhaustive in terms of markets covered and information provides. Besides, with the support extended to us by the team, we could reduce costs as well as move to sustainable growth. This really helped us tap into new opportunities. Happy to have gone ahead with ResearchMos.us.
We have had a long term engagement with ResearchMoz.us and never have we felt that the work done and help extended were below flawless. The report repository is one of the best one can hope to tap into. Recently, our partner businesses opted for consultancy services and they are all thrilled with the outcome.
Insights from reports helped us improve our profit margins significantly. Most of the knowledge we needed on the market were provided to us on a granular basis. From trends, and drivers to competitive analysis, the information was not just crisp but also insightful. That helped us chart a robust growth strategy and as of now we are happy to state that we are reaping big benefits.
More from Packaging
PackagingChinese Markets for Industrial Packaging