Payments Landscape in Mexico: Opportunities and Risks to 2022
GlobalDatas "Payments Landscape in Mexico: Opportunities and Risks to 2022", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Mexican cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debit, and cheques during the review-period (2014-18e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2018e-22f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalDatas research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into Mexican cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Mexican cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debit, and cheques. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Mexican cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Financial institutions and intermediaries are taking initiatives to drive payment card acceptance. Just 14% of merchant establishments in Mexico accept payment cards, which is acting as a break on payment card growth. To curb this, in January 2018 Mastercard introduced the Cashless Makeover Mexico program, under which it plans to promote payment cards and Masterpass acceptance by SMEs. Previously in May 2017, Mastercard and the government of Mexico City, through the Ministry of Economic Development (SEDECO), signed an agreement to promote electronic payments in the city.
- To foster growth in electronic payments, the Mexican government is focusing on expanding the use-case of prepaid cards for transport purposes. Consequently in November 2017 the Metro Collective Transportation System collaborated with Mastercard to introduce prepaid Metro cards. The cards consist of two balances: a Metro balance and a Mastercard balance. The Metro balance can be used to buy metro tickets, while the Mastercard balance can be used for in-store purchases where Mastercard network cards are accepted. Similarly in January 2018, the closed-loop Cytibus prepaid card was introduced for use on buses. The card was initially operational on 150 buses and reloadable at 30 OXXO stores. However, in February 2018 this was extended to 500 buses and 220 OXXO stores.
- To regulate the increasing number of financial technology companies, in March 2018 the central government introduced the Fintech law in Mexico. The law provides general requirements for fintech institutions, and offers greater regulatory certainty around issues such as crowdfunding, payment methods, and cryptocurrencies. The law permits open banking - the sharing of user information by financial institutions through public application programming interfaces.
Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Mexican cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Mexican cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Mexican cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Mexico.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Mexican cards and payments industry.
Table of Contents
Mobile Proximity Payments
Payments Infrastructure & Regulation
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.