Payments Landscape in Hong Kong: Opportunities and Risks to 2022
GlobalDatas "Payments Landscape in Hong Kong: Opportunities and Risks to 2022", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in Hong Kong cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including credit transfers, direct debit, cash, payment cards, and cheques during the review-period (2014-18e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2018e-22f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalDatas research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
The report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into Hong Kong's cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in Hong Kong's cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including credit transfers, direct debit, cheques, cash, and payment cards. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis and payment methods.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit, and charge cards.
- In a move to modernize Hong Kongs banking and payments system, HKMA has introduced a number of initiatives. The countrys instant payment system, called Faster Payment System, is scheduled to launch in September 2018. It is open to all banks and payment service providers in the country, and around 20 banks and eight payment service providers are already on board with the system. Once launched, it will allow users to make instant payments in both Hong Kong dollars and Chinese renminbi. Hong Kong is also set to witness the launch of virtual banks. In May 2018, HKMA released a new set of guidelines for virtual banks, and it is set to issue the first batch of virtual bank licenses by the end of 2018. Over 50 companies have shown an interest in obtaining a virtual bank license.
- Banks are expanding their services to rural areas by launching mobile banking branches and opening new branches. In December 2017, Hang Seng Bank launched its mobile branch, which facilitates basic banking services such as account opening, cash deposits and withdrawals, fund transfers, cheque deposits, and currency exchange. As of January 2018 three banks - HSBC, Standard Chartered, and Hang Seng Bank - are running five mobile branches that provide services at 24 remote locations. And according to HKMA, since the end of 2016 six bank branches have been opened in remote areas and public housing estates.
- Alternative payments are gaining traction in the country, with leading international brands such as Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and Alipay all present in the market. Samsung Pay was introduced in Hong Kong in May 2017, allowing users to make purchases at participating stores with Samsung devices across all forms of terminals, including magnetic stripe, EMV, and NFC. In February 2017, HSBC launched its P2P payment solution, PayMe. This service enables users to make free fund transfers to other PayMe users or individuals holding a bank account. And in February 2018, JETCO Pay introduced a merchant payment service, allowing its users to make in-store, in-app, and online payments using their mobile phone.
Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to Hong Kong's cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Hong Kong.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
Table of Contents
Mobile Proximity Payments
Payments Infrastructure & Regulation
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.