Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications: PD Therapies Dominate First-in-Class Pipeline, with Novel Target Classes Demonstrating Potential Disease-Modifying Effects
Parkinsons disease (PD), a progressive neurological disorder that affects movement control, is associated with considerable quality of life impairments and burden of care, particularly in the advanced disease stages. Cognitive and behavioral complications of PD are common. PD-associated dementia and PD-associated psychosis are both highly prevalent and associated with a large disease burden.
There is a pressing unmet need within PD, PD-associated dementia, and PD-associated psychosis for more effective disease-modifying pharmacotherapies. Although current therapies can provide patients with symptomatic relief, there are no commercially available agents capable of preventing or slowing the course of PD or its behavioral complications. This report assesses innovation within the pipeline for PD and its behavioral complications.
- The PD pipeline is large, with 456 programs in active development. Far fewer products are in development for the behavioral complications of PD. There are 16 products in development for PD-associated dementia and six products in development for PD-associated psychosis. What proportion of these products across PD and PD behavioral complications are first in class? How does first-in-class innovation vary by development stage and molecular target class?
- Innovative molecular target groups identified in the pipeline include immunomodulators, neuroprotectants, and protein misfolding and aggregation. Which molecular target classes are prominently represented in the overall and first-in-class pipelines for PD and PD behavioral complications?
- There are 351 companies active across PD and PD behavioral complications. Which companies have the most first-in-class assets in development? Which companies are highly active in terms of licensing and co-development deals for first-in-class innovation?
Reasons to buy
-Understand the current disease landscape with an in-depth discussion of etiology, pathophysiology, disease classification and staging systems, epidemiology, and marketed therapies for PD. Overviews of PD-associated dementia and PD-associated psychosis are also provided.
- Analyze the pipelines for PD, PD-associated dementia, and PD-associated psychosis, and stratify them by stage of development, molecule type, and molecular target.
- Assess the therapeutic potential of first-in-class molecular targets. Using proprietary matrix assessments, first-in-class molecular targets for PD and PD-associated dementia have been assessed and ranked according to clinical potential. A matrix assessment is not provided for PD-associated psychosis due to a lack of first-in-class innovation. Promising first-in-class targets for PD and PD-associated dementia have been reviewed in greater detail.
- Analyze company strategies in prior deals through case studies of key deals for PD first-in-class products, and recognize commercial opportunities by identifying first-in-class pipeline products that have not yet been involved in licensing or co-development deals.
1 Table of Contents
1.1 List of Tables
1.2 List of Figures
2 Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications: Executive Summary
2.1 High Unmet Need Remains for Disease-Modifying Pharmacotherapies
2.2 Large and Innovative Parkinsons Disease Pipeline Indicates Shift Towards Disease-Modifying Approaches
2.3 Novel Gene Therapies Attract High Levels of Investment in Parkinsons Disease
3.2 Related Reports
4 Disease Overview
4.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology
4.2 Classification or Staging Systems
4.3 Sustained Innovation in Parkinsons Disease
4.4 Epidemiology for Parkinsons Disease
4.5 Overview for Marketed Products
4.6 Overview for Behavioral Complications in Parkinsons Disease
4.6.1 Overview of Parkinsons Disease-Associated Dementia
4.6.2 Overview of Parkinsons Disease-Associated Psychosis
5 Assessment of Pipeline Product Innovation
5.2 Pipeline by Stage of Development and Molecule Type
5.3 Pipeline by Molecular Target
5.4 Comparative Distribution of Programs Between the Parkinsons Disease Market and Pipeline by Therapeutic Target Family
5.5 Comparative Distribution of First-in-Class and Non-First-in-Class Pipeline Programs by Molecular Target Class
5.5.1 Percentage Distribution of First-in-Class and Non-First-in-Class Pipeline Programs
5.6 Ratio of First-in-Class Programs to First-in-Class Molecular Targets Within the Pipeline
6 First-in-Class Molecular Target Evaluation
6.2 Pipeline Programs Targeting Alpha Synuclein for Parkinsons Disease and Parkinsons Disease-Associated Dementia
6.3 Pipeline Programs Targeting Microtubule-Associated Protein Tau for Parkinsons Disease
6.4 Pipeline Programs Targeting Glial Cell Line-Derived Neurotrophic Factor for Parkinsons Disease
6.5 Pipeline Programs Targeting Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor 4 and Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor 5 for Parkinsons Disease
6.6 Pipeline Programs Targeting GDNF Family Receptor Alpha 1 and GDNF Family Receptor Alpha 2 for Parkinsons Disease
6.7 Pipeline Programs Targeting Pituitary Adenylate Cyclase-Activating Polypeptide Type I Receptor for Parkinsons Disease
6.8 Pipeline Programs Targeting Caveolin-1 for Parkinsons Disease-Associated Dementia
6.9 Pipeline Programs Targeting Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase 14 for Parkinsons Disease-Associated Dementia
7 Key Players and Deals
7.1.1 AbbVie and Voyager Therapeutics Enter into Co-development Agreement
7.1.2 Axovant Sciences Enters into Licensing Agreement with Oxford Biomedica
7.1.3 Pfizer Enters into Licensing Agreement with Arvinas
8.4 About the Authors
8.4.2 Therapy Area Director
8.4.3 Global Director of Therapy Analysis and Epidemiology
8.4.4 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy
8.5 About GlobalData
8.6 Contact Us
1.1 List of Tables
Table 1: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Modified Hoehn and Yahr Scale of Parkinsons Disease Symptoms, 2017
Table 2: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Movement Disorder Society-Sponsored Revision of the Unified Parkinsons Disease Rating Scale (MDS-UPDRS), 2008
Table 3: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Diagnosed Parkinsons Disease Prevalent Cases (N) (Millions), 2016-2026
1.2 List of Figures
Figure 1: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Indirect and Direct Pathways in Basal Ganglia, 2019
Figure 2: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Parkinsons Disease Market by Molecular Target, 2019
Figure 3: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Parkinsons Disease Pipeline by Stage of Development and Molecule Type, 2019
Figure 4: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Pipeline for Parkinsons Disease-Associated Dementia and Parkinsons Disease-Associated Psychosis by Stage of Development, 2019
Figure 5: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Pipeline for Parkinsons Disease-Associated Dementia by Molecule Type, 2019
Figure 6: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Parkinsons Disease Pipeline by Molecular Target and Stage of Development, 2019
Figure 7: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Pipeline for Parkinsons Disease-Associated Dementia and Parkinsons Disease-Associated Psychosis by Molecular Target, 2019
Figure 8: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Distribution of Pipeline and Marketed Parkinsons Disease Products by Molecular Target Class, 2019
Figure 9: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Distribution of Parkinsons Disease Pipeline Products by First-in-Class Status and Molecular Target Class, 2019
Figure 10: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Percentage Distribution of First-in-Class and Non-First-in-Class Parkinsons Disease Products by Stage of Development and Molecular Target Class, 2019
Figure 11: Parkinsons Disease and Behavioral Complications, Global, Ratio of First-in-Class Products to First-in-Class Targets in the Parkinsons Disease Pipeline by Stage of Development and Molecular Target Class, 2019
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.