Opioid Use Disorder (OUD): Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2027
Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) is a chronic disorder that is described as the consequences associated with repeated, compulsive use of opioid drugs, and prolonged self-administration of opioid drugs. There are two subsets of patients that suffer from OUD; patients that become addicted to medical opioids, and patients that become addicted to non-medical opioids. There is no single cause of OUD, but rather a combination of genetic and environmental factors which influence the patient.
Currently, there are a few drugs that are approved for the treatment of OUD, these can be split into two classes; synthetic opioid receptor agonists - buprenorphine and methadone - and opioid antagonists - naltrexone. These drugs have been widely available for decades and are genericized across the markets covered in this report, however, a lot of these have been reformulated and released in the last decade. Pipeline therapies focus on more reformulations, as well as looking at novel mechanisms of action to help combat opioid addiction, with the release of these agents expected to be one of the leading drivers of the market over the forecast period.
GlobalData estimates that the OUD market in the eight pharmaceutical markets covered in this report to experience rapid growth at a CAGR of 10.3% during 2017-2027. This growth will be driven by the launch of four late-stage pipeline products. The markets included in this report are based on the countries which have the highest rate of opioid use, in order these are; United States, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, and Australia.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the key OUD treatments in 2017?
- When will the late stage pipeline products launch, and how will these affect drug sales and the overall OUD global market ?
- Which unmet needs will remain unaddressed in the forecast period and what opportunities remain for pharmaceutical companies?
- Overview of OUD, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and disease management.
- Annualized OUD therapeutics market revenue, cost of therapy per patient, and treatment usage patterns in three patient segments (mild, moderate, severe) forecast from 2017 to 2027.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the OUD therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data assessing emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development for OUD therapy. The most promising candidates in Phase III development are profiled.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global OUD therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global OUD therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global OUDtherapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
1 Table of Contents
1.1 List of Tables
1.2 List of Figures
2 Opioid Use Disorder: Executive Summary
2.1 Reformulations of Buprenorphine Will Drive the OUD Market Forward
2.2 Late-Stage Pipeline Focus Remains on Reformulations to Reduce Likelihood of Abuse, While Early-Stage Looks to Novel MOAs
2.3 Environmental Unmet Needs of Greater Importance Than Clinical Needs
2.4 Experienced and New Players Go Head to Head with Buprenorphine Reformulations
2.5 What Do Physicians Think?
3.2 Related Reports
4 Disease Overview
4.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology
4.2 Classification or Staging Systems
5.1 Disease Background
5.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities
5.3 Global and Historical Trends
5.4 Forecast Methodology
5.4.2 Forecast Assumptions and Methods - Population
5.4.3 Forecast Assumptions and Methods - One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
5.4.4 Forecast Assumptions and Methods - One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD by Severity
5.4.5 Forecast Assumptions and Methods - One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
5.4.6 Forecast Assumptions and Methods - One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD by Severity
5.5 Epidemiological Forecast for POUD (2017-2027)
5.5.1 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
5.5.2 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
5.5.3 Age-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
5.5.4 Age-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
5.5.5 Sex-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
5.5.6 Sex-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
5.5.7 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD by Severity
5.5.8 One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD by Severity
5.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight
5.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis
5.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis
6 Current Treatment Options
7 Unmet Needs and Opportunity Assessment
7.2 Novel Mechanisms of Action
7.3 Physician Education on Opioid Treatment
7.4 Biomarkers to Identify Patients Most at Risk of Developing Addiction
7.5 Removal of Access Barriers
8 R&D Strategies
8.1.1 Drug Formulations That Have Less Potential for Abuse
8.1.2 Novel Mechanisms of Action
8.1.3 Extended-Release Drugs That Improve Compliance
8.2 Clinical Trials Design
8.2.4 Patient Population
9 Pipeline Assessment
9.2 Innovative Early-Stage Approaches
9.3 Other Drugs in Development
10 Pipeline Valuation Analysis
10.1 Clinical Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs
10.2 Commercial Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs
10.3 Competitive Assessment
10.4 Top-Line 10-Year Forecast
11.3.1 Forecasting Methodology
11.3.2 Diagnosed Patients
11.3.3 Percent Drug-Treated Patients
11.3.4 Drugs Included in Each Therapeutic Class
11.3.5 Launch and Patent Expiry Dates
11.3.6 General Pricing Assumptions
11.3.7 Individual Drug Assumptions
11.3.8 Generic Erosion
11.3.9 Pricing of Pipeline Agents
11.4 Primary Research - KOLs Interviewed for This Report
11.5 Primary Research - Prescriber Survey
11.6 About the Authors
11.6.2 Therapy Area Director
11.6.4 Managing Epidemiologist
11.6.5 Global Director of Therapy Analysis and Epidemiology
11.6.6 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy
11.7 About GlobalData
11.8 Contact Us
1.1 List of Tables
Table 1: Opioid Use Disorder: Key Metrics in the Eight Markets
Table 2: Symptoms of opioid use disorder
Table 3: Long term psychological impacts of opioid use disorder
Table 4: Long term psychological impacts of opioid use disorder
Table 5: Risk Factors and Comorbid Conditions Associated with OUD
Table 6: Proportion of Patients Using Rescue Medication
Table 7: Treatment Guidelines for Opioid Use Disorder
Table 8: Leading Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder, 2018
Table 9: Comparison of Therapeutic Classes in Development for OUD, 2017-2027
Table 10: Innovative Early-Stage Approaches for OUD, 2018
Table 11: Drugs in Development for OUD, 2018
Table 12: Clinical Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs - OUD
Table 13: Commercial Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs - OUD
Table 14: Key Events Impacting Global Sales for Opioid Use Disorder, 2017-2027
Table 15: Opioid Use Disorder Market - Global Drivers and Barriers, 2017-2027
Table 16: Key Historical and Projected Launch Dates for Opioid Use Disorder
Table 17: Key Historical and Projected Patent Expiry Dates for Opioid Use Disorder
Table 18: High-Prescribing Physicians (non-KOLs) Surveyed, By Country
1.2 List of Figures
Figure 1: Global Sales Forecast by Country for Opioid Use Disorder in 2017 and 2027
Figure 2: Competitive Assessment of the Marketed and Pipeline Drugs Benchmarked Against the SOC, Suboxone
Figure 3: Overdose Deaths from Heroin and Synthetic Opioids , US, 2005-2015
Figure 4: The Impact of Opioid Use Disorder on Brain Function
Figure 5: Opioid Withdrawal Syndrome and Opioid Use Disorder Patient Populations
Figure 6: 8MM, Age-Standardized One-Year Total Prevalence of POUD (%), Both Sexes, All Ages, 2017
Figure 7: 8MM, Age-Standardized One-Year Total Prevalence of NMPOUD (%), Both Sexes, All Ages, 2017
Figure 8: 8MM, Sources Used to Forecast the One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD
Figure 9: 8MM, Sources Used to Forecast the One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD by Severity
Figure 10: 8MM, Sources Used and Not Used to Forecast the One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD
Figure 11: 8MM, Sources Used to Forecast the One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD by Severity
Figure 12: 8MM, One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 13: 8MM, One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 14: 8MM, Age-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 15: 8MM, Age-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 16: 8MM, Sex-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of POUD, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 17: 8MM, Sex-Specific One-Year Total Prevalent Cases of NMPOUD, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 18: 8MM, One-Year Total Prevalent Cases by Severity of POUD, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 19: 8MM, One-Year Total Prevalent Cases by Severity of NMPOUD, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2017
Figure 20: Treatment Algorithm for Patients Suffering from Opioid Use Disorder
Figure 21: Unmet Needs and Opportunities in Opioid Use Disorder
Figure 22: Overview of the Development Pipeline in OUD
Figure 23: Key Trials for the Promising Pipeline Agents That GlobalData Expects to Be Licensed for OUD During the Forecast Period
Figure 24: Competitive Assessment of the Marketed and Pipeline Drugs Benchmarked Against the SOC, Suboxone
Figure 25: Global Sales Forecast by Country for Opioid Use Disorder in 2017 and 2027
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.