ate of the economy and a climbing stock market saw a rise in consumer confidence, with even high-income consumers not shying away from premium purchases. Consequently, the overall share of private label products in the US Skincare sector remained low. The highest penetration rate was seen in the Body Care and Make-up Remover categories, which was remarkably higher than the overall Skincare private label penetration average.
The Hand Care and Make-up Remover categories are expected to witness positive growth between 2012 and 2017, although they are the least valuable categories in the US Skincare market.
Women consume the most Skincare products by volume. Older Consumers are one of the most prominent consumer groups. Consumer analysis, based on Wealth Group, reveals that Affluent men and women have the highest consumption share, while Time Rich male and Time Poor female consumers have the highest consumption propensity of Skincare products.
Facial Care will gain market share while the market share of Body Care, Depilatories, and Make-up Remover will decline between 2007 and 2017.
Aspirations for better personal health and hygiene are driving consumers towards natural and organic cosmetics and personal care products, which includes Skincare products. The potential negative health effects of ingredients such as parabens and phthalates, which are widely used as preservatives in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, are driving consumers to opt for products comprising natural ingredients.
Body Care and Facial Care accounted for over 80% of the total number of packs used in the US Skincare sector in 2012, driving significant demand for Rigid Plastic and Flexible Packaging Bottles and Tubes. These often use Flip/Snap Top and Screw Top closures, while Box outers were selectively used for Body Care products.
The growing demand for Facial and Body Care products in the US will result in a parallel demand for Rigid Plastic Bottle and Tube Packaging with Flip/Snap Top, Screw Top, and Dispenser closures. Demand for Box outers will also increase as a result of the rising consumption of Facial Care products.
- US skincare market provides significant opportunities to marketers helped by a recovering GDP and a growing proportion of affluent Millennials
- Health and Beauty distribution is marked by the presence of Drugstores and Pharmacies besides other prominent channels
- Hypermarkets and Supermarkets is the preferred channel for Health and Beauty product distribution with Skincare being no exception to the rule
- Skincare consumption in the US is led by Affluent and Time Rich males and Affluent and Time Poor females
- Mid-Lifers are the heaviest consumers of Skincare products in the US
- Skincare consumption in the US is primarily driven by age-specific needs
- Age-based requirements together with the desire to look more beautiful drive skincare needs in the US
- Demand of skincare products are influenced by new gender behaviors along with specific individual needs
- Facial Care continues to lead the Skincare market in the US in terms of growth
- Depilatories, Body Care, and Make-up Remover to lose market share to Facial Care products between 2007-2017
- The US Skincare market will register a steady increase in volume and value growth
- Body Care and Facial Care to witness increased sales and steady growth over 2012-2017
- Hand Care and Make-up Remover continue to be low-value categories in the US Skincare market, though witnessing moderate growth over 2012-2017
- Depilatories will register the lowest category growth during the period 2012-2017
Brands and Private Labels
- Olay, Sally Hansen, and Neutrogena lead brand share in the Skincare market
- Jergens and Avon lead brand share in the Skincare market
- Body Care and Make-up Remover categories witnessed the highest private label penetration in the US Skincare market
- Increasing private label sales of Hand Care and Body Care products contributed to the highest category value growth during 2009-2012
- Rigid Plastic and Flexible Bottles and Tubes along with Flip/Snap Top Closures are preferred packs for Body Care and Facial Care products
- Growth in demand of Rigid Plastic Bottles will be driven by increased usage of Facial Care products
Future Outlook- four key trends in the US Skincare sector
- US Skincare sector to witness growth in premium and natural products along with the entry of new celebrity product lines
Data Appendix and Summary Methodology
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.