HS2 Construction Begins-Project needs Wider Investment to achieve high ambitions and overcome challenges
- September 2020
- Industry Profile
- 13 pages
The high-speed rail network known as HS2, which is hoped to connect London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds upon completion in 2033, has officially begun construction as of 4th September 2020. HS2 has been controversial since its inception, with multiple campaign groups arguing that the promised economic and environmental benefits are deceptive and self-defeating. In a post-pandemic reality the HS2 has more to offer in the form of employment and economic stimulus than ever, but the risks of missing targets and delivering a failed project well over-budget are as just as high.
- A pillar of the governments argument for HS2 has been the economic benefits that would be brought to areas outside of London, on top of general economic growth. Faced with this escalating cost, it is important to identify the new economic benefits in the light of COVID-19. These newly-important benefits include employment opportunities, a boost for the construction industry, and the cultivation of skills hubs around the UK. There are also environmental targets which would benefit the UKs emissions reduction plans if they were successful.
- However, in each case there are factors weighing against the projects accomplishment of these aims. The governments promise of 22,000 jobs over HS2s supply chain is welcome, but its successful fulfillment is now vital. Job creation must be balanced with potential job losses associated with the project, and comparisons with Industry 4.0 highlight the complexity of the job transitioning required. The stagnant construction sector will receive a boost, but there are opportunity costs which threaten to outweigh this economic stimulus if the projects budget continues to spiral out of control.
- In addition to securing sufficient economic benefits by reinvigorating the UKs construction pipeline, HS2 brings the costly challenge of extrinsic infrastructure. Connecting four major cities will not be enough to significantly narrow the economic divide between London and the north. Additional transport infrastructure to ensure the quick continuation of journeys to other northern centers will be needed to improve the journey times originally promised by the Department for Transport (DfT). Extensive new green transport infrastructure will also need to accompany HS2 to encourage more people to turn away from private petrol-fueled vehicles and fulfill the long-term emissions goals associated with the project.
- See how the HS2 project is progressing
- Understand the arguments for and against the project
- See how likely it is that the project will be completed
- Learn how the project might benefit the UK economy
Reasons to Buy
- Why has HS2 been so controversial?
- Is the project likely to continue?
- Why has the project overrun both its budget and schedule?
- Is the project worth completing?
Have query on this report?Make an Enquiry
The team was the biggest help to us. Not only were we provided with customized solutions but also we were guided through the most complicated situations. The information was on-point yet comprehensive. The experience was absolutely satisfying and helped us turn many challenges into opportunities.
Ours is a startup with a unique set of challenges and we were therefore hesitant but the team totally put us at ease with their knowledge and expertise. Our business and its challenges were understood perfectly and help was extended accordingly. The tailor made approach really helped us gain the most informative insights.
The report repository is absolutely impressive –updated and exhaustive in terms of markets covered and information provides. Besides, with the support extended to us by the team, we could reduce costs as well as move to sustainable growth. This really helped us tap into new opportunities. Happy to have gone ahead with ResearchMos.us.
We have had a long term engagement with ResearchMoz.us and never have we felt that the work done and help extended were below flawless. The report repository is one of the best one can hope to tap into. Recently, our partner businesses opted for consultancy services and they are all thrilled with the outcome.
Insights from reports helped us improve our profit margins significantly. Most of the knowledge we needed on the market were provided to us on a granular basis. From trends, and drivers to competitive analysis, the information was not just crisp but also insightful. That helped us chart a robust growth strategy and as of now we are happy to state that we are reaping big benefits.
More from Industry Profile
Industry ProfileFlame Retardants Markets in China
Industry ProfileSituation of Major Competitor Companies
Industry ProfileEmirates Post Group Holding Market Share Study