Generation Z after COVID-19 - Next Generation Consumers will struggle to Drive Over-Hyped Trends
- December 2020
- 16 pages
Among the historical events which are expected to have shaped Gen Z’s consumer tastes, technological innovations and economic downturns loom large. The 2008 recession, which reportedly left most of the parents of Gen Z children still worse-off than their parents in 2018, created a financially pessimistic generation which was trained early on to be sceptical of big corporations and the stock market. The recession hit around the time that Apple launched the first iPhone, an innovation that was immediately hailed as 21st century technology’s opening gambit. Numerous surveys over the last decade have called Gen Z children ‘tech natives’ because of their early saturation in online culture and communication. One report by Childwise in January 2020 found that around 90% of UK children owned a smartphone by the age of 11, and spent about three hours and 20 minutes per day online.
- The economic fallout of COVID-19 has hit practically every industry across all regions of the globe. Gen Z workers have struggled to secure and maintain steady jobs in 2020, during the pandemic’s first waves, and in future they are likely to face further disadvantages. This will undoubtedly weigh on anticipated consumer trends.
- There is a major gap between the unemployment impact of the pandemic on members of Gen Z and Millennials. As illustrated in Figure 2, the 2020 increase in unemployment among 16-24 year-olds, an age group containing new Gen Z workers and the tail-end of the Millennial generation, was almost double that for workers over the age of 25.
- Millennials already suffered from weaker employment patterns than previous generations, with zero-hours contracts and gig working being key trends in recent years, and Gen Z will to be disproportionately affected due to the sectors on which they predominantly rely.
- Other factors weighing against Gen Z during the economic recovery include student loan debt and an emerging mental health crisis. Like many of their millennial predecessors, Gen Zs who attend university will be saddled with debt. This is likely to worsen in 2020, as university applications rose to record levels with teenagers opting to delay their entry to the job market. This will create a less financially-empowered generation, and will also delay the entry of thousands of salaried consumers to the marketplace.
- See how Generation Z is forming as a consumer generation
- Understand how the population has been impacted by COVID-19
- What goals and priorities does Generation Z have?
- How is this generation different from previous?
Reasons to Buy
- How will massive unemployment effect the generation?
- Does the generation have different dietary desires?
- How will the sharing economy effect Generation Z?
- How is product consumption being redefined?
Have query on this report?Make an Enquiry
Table of Contents
Gen Z is coming of age in the COVID-19 fallout
Unemployment will hit Gen Z the hardest
Some Gen Z trends are over-hyped and misunderstood
Plant-based diets show trend driven primarily by Millennials, not Gen Z
Homeworking could be a bright side for Gen Z
The team was the biggest help to us. Not only were we provided with customized solutions but also we were guided through the most complicated situations. The information was on-point yet comprehensive. The experience was absolutely satisfying and helped us turn many challenges into opportunities.
Ours is a startup with a unique set of challenges and we were therefore hesitant but the team totally put us at ease with their knowledge and expertise. Our business and its challenges were understood perfectly and help was extended accordingly. The tailor made approach really helped us gain the most informative insights.
The report repository is absolutely impressive –updated and exhaustive in terms of markets covered and information provides. Besides, with the support extended to us by the team, we could reduce costs as well as move to sustainable growth. This really helped us tap into new opportunities. Happy to have gone ahead with ResearchMos.us.
We have had a long term engagement with ResearchMoz.us and never have we felt that the work done and help extended were below flawless. The report repository is one of the best one can hope to tap into. Recently, our partner businesses opted for consultancy services and they are all thrilled with the outcome.
Insights from reports helped us improve our profit margins significantly. Most of the knowledge we needed on the market were provided to us on a granular basis. From trends, and drivers to competitive analysis, the information was not just crisp but also insightful. That helped us chart a robust growth strategy and as of now we are happy to state that we are reaping big benefits.
More from Media
TechnologySelf-Service Technology Market: Current Scenario and Forecast (2020-2026): Emphasis on Product Type (Vending Machine, Automated Teller Machine, Kiosks), Vending Machine Type (Beverage, Candy, Snacks, Gumball, Cigarette), ATM Type (Conventional, Brown Label, White Label, Smart ATM, Cash Dispenser), Kiosks Type (Photo, DVD, Ticketing, HR& Employment, Patient Self Service, Information Providing, Banking & Financial, Specialized), Solution Type (Deployment, Managed Services) and Region/Country
TechnologyAsia-Pacific Smart Homes Technology Market: Insights and Forecast, 2018-2024: Emphasis on Application (Safety and Security, Smart Appliances, Heating Ventilating, Air Conditioning (HVAC), Home Entertainment, Smart Lighting Systems, Smart Energy Management), Technology (Wireless and Wired Smart Home Technology), End-Users (Residential and Commercials End-Users)