EpiCast Report: Painful Diabetic Neuropathy - Epidemiology Forecast to 2026
Painful diabetic neuropathy (PDN) is a long-term complication of diabetes mellitus (DM). Over time, diabetic patients may develop this nerve disorder, which is the result of decreased blood flow and high blood sugar levels. There are different types of diabetic neuropathy, which can be grouped as peripheral, autonomic, proximal, and focal. Each type of neuropathy affects a different area of the body.
GlobalData epidemiologists forecast the total prevalence of PDN in the 7MM from 2016 to 2026 using sources that assessed the location and intensity of neuropathic pain in the diagnosed diabetic population by using validated questionnaires such as the Brief Pain Inventory (BPI) or the Michigan Neuropathy Screening Instrument (MNSI). This methodology identified cases that both had a formal diagnosis of PDN and did not have formal diagnosis.
In the 7MM, the total prevalent cases of painful diabetic neuropathy in the diagnosed diabetic population is expected to increase from approximately 7.8 million total prevalent cases in 2016 to 10.8 million cases in 2026. The diagnosed prevalent cases of PDN are expected to grow from 4.7 million diagnosed prevalent cases in 2016 to 7.1 million cases in 2026.
- The Painful Diabetic Neuropathy (PDN) EpiCast Report provides an overview of the risk factors and global trends of PDN in the seven major markets (7MM: US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and Japan).
- It includes a 10-year epidemiological forecast for total prevalent cases of PDN (diagnosed and undiagnosed) among the diagnosed diabetic population segmented by sex and age (beginning at age 18 years and ending at ages 85 years and older) in these markets. The total prevalent cases of PDN are further segmented into mild, moderate, and severe neuropathy, and typical or atypical PDN. This report also provides a forecast for the diagnosed prevalent cases of PDN.
- The PDN epidemiology report is written and developed by Masters- and PhD-level epidemiologists.
- The EpiCast Report is in-depth, high quality, transparent and market-driven, providing expert analysis of disease trends in the 7MM.
Reasons to buy
The PDN EpiCast report will allow you to -
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global PDN market.
- Quantify patient populations in the global PDN market to improve product design, pricing, and launch plans.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the age groups and sex that present the best opportunities for PDN therapeutics in each of the markets covered.
- Understand magnitude of PDN population by severity, as well as typical or atypical PDN.
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 3
1.2 List of Figures 3
2 Painful Diabetic Neuropathy: Executive Summary 4
2.1 Related Reports 6
2.2 Upcoming Reports 6
3 Epidemiology 7
3.1 Disease Background 7
3.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 8
3.3 Global and Historical Trends 8
3.3.1 US 9
3.3.2 5EU 10
3.3.3 Japan 10
3.4 Forecast Methodology 10
3.4.1 Sources 11
3.4.2 Forecast Assumptions and Methods 17
3.5 Epidemiological Forecast for PDN (2016-2026) 25
3.5.1 Total Prevalent Cases of PDN 25
3.5.2 Age-Specific Total Prevalent Cases of PDN 26
3.5.3 Sex-Specific Total Prevalent Cases of PDN 27
3.5.4 Total Prevalent Cases of PDN by Severity of Neuropathy 28
3.5.5 Total Prevalent Cases of Typical and Atypical PDN 29
3.5.6 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of PDN 30
3.6 Discussion 31
3.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 31
3.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis 32
3.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis 32
4 Appendix 33
4.1 Bibliography 33
4.2 Primary Research - Prescriber Survey 37
4.3 About the Authors 38
4.3.1 Epidemiologist 38
4.3.2 Reviewers 38
4.3.3 Global Director of Therapy Analysis and Epidemiology 39
4.3.4 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy 39
4.4 About GlobalData 40
4.5 Contact Us 40
4.6 Disclaimer 40
1.1 List of Tables
Table 1: Risk Factors, and Comorbidities for PDN 8
Table 2: Total Prevalent Cases of PDN, Men and Women, Ages 18 Years, Select Years 2016-2026 26
Table 3: Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of PDN, Men and Women, Ages 18 Years, Select Years 2016-2026 31
Table 4: High-Prescribing Physicians (non-KOLs) Surveyed, By Country 37
1.2 List of Figures
Figure 1: 7MM, Total Prevalent Cases of PDN, Both Sexes, Ages 18 Years, 2016 and 2026 5
Figure 2: 7MM, Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of PDN, Both Sexes, Ages 18 Years, 2016 and 2026 6
Figure 3 Case Flow Map 11
Figure 4: Sources Used and Not Used for Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of T2D Among the General Population 12
Figure 5: Sources Used for Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of T1D Among the General Population 13
Figure 6: Sources Used for Total Prevalent Cases of PDN Among the Diagnosed Diabetic Population 14
Figure 7: Sources Used for Total Prevalent Cases of PDN by Severity of Neuropathy 15
Figure 8: Sources Used for Total Prevalent Cases of Typical and Atypical PDN 16
Figure 9: Sources Used for Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of PDN 17
Figure 10: 7MM, Age-Specific Total Prevalent Cases of PDN, Men and Women, Ages 18 Years, 2016 27
Figure 11: 7MM, Sex-Specific Total Prevalent Cases of PDN, Men, Women, Ages 18 Years, 2016 28
Figure 12: 7MM, Total Prevalent Cases of PDN by Severity of Neuropathy, Men and Women, Ages 18 Years, 2016. 29
Figure 13: 7MM, Total Prevalent Cases of Typical and Atypical PDN, Men and Women, Ages 18 Years, 2016 30
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.