Diabetic retinopathy is the principal cause of vision impairment in working-age adults throughout the world. A common microvascular complication of diabetes, diabetic retinopathy affects a third of diagnosed diabetics (Cheung et al., 2010). Clinically defined as an eye disease damaging the small blood vessels in the retina, diabetic retinopathy results from chronically high blood glucose levels in people with poorly-managed diabetes (Cheung et al., 2010; Fong et al., 2004; Kawasaki et al., 2011; Rubino et al., 2007).
According to the epidemiological literature, the duration of diabetes, hyperglycemia, hypertension, and dyslipidemia are all risk factors for the disease. Additionally, diabetic retinopathy has a comorbid relationship with various cardiovascular diseases. However, the causal pathway of this relationship has yet to be determined (Fong et al., 2004; Kawasaki et al., 2011; Klein et al., 2002).
According to GlobalDatas forecast, the 7MM had 4,889,171 prevalent cases of diabetic retinopathy in 2012. The prevalent cases in the 7MM are expected to increase to 7,176,537 cases by 2022, at an Annual Growth Rate (AGR) of 4.68%. Japan had the largest proportion of prevalent cases in 2012 (61.21%, or 2,992,840 cases) of all the markets covered in this analysis.
- The diabetic retinopathy EpiCast Report provides an overview of the risk factors and epidemiological trends for diabetic reitnopathy in the seven major markets (7MM) (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and Japan). It includes a 10-year epidemiological forecast of the diagnosed prevalent cases of diabetic retinopathy in the diagnosed diabetic population segmented by age, (over 40 years of age) and sex. The diagnosed prevalent cases are then further segmented by the grade of diabetic retinopathy (vision-threatening diabetic retinopathy [VTDR] and diabetic macular edema [DME]).
- The diabetic retinopathy epidemiology report is written and developed by Mastersand PhD-level epidemiologists.
- The EpiCast Report is in-depth, high quality, transparent and market-driven, providing expert analysis of disease trends in the 6MM.
Reasons to buy
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global diabetic retinopathy market.
- Quantify patient populations in the global diabetic retinopathy market to improve product design, pricing, and launch plans.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the age groups and sex that present the best opportunities for diabetic retinopathy therapeutics in each of the markets covered.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 4
1.1 List of Tables 5
1.2 List of Figures 6
2 Introduction 7
2.1 Catalyst 7
2.2 Upcoming Reports 8
3 Epidemiology 9
3.1 Disease Background 9
3.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 11
3.3 Global Trends 12
3.3.1 US 13
3.3.2 5EU 14
3.3.3 Japan 16
3.4 Epidemiological Forecast for Diabetic Retinopathy (2012-2022) 17
3.4.1 Forecast Methodology 17
3.4.2 Sources Used 19
3.4.3 Sources Not Used 22
3.4.4 Forecast Assumptions and Methods Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetes 23
3.4.5 Forecast Assumptions and Methods Diabetic Retinopathy 27
3.5 Epidemiology Forecast for Diabetic Retinopathy (2012-2022) 29
3.5.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy 29
3.5.2 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy by Age 31
3.5.3 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy by Sex 33
3.5.4 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy, Severity Grades in the 5EU 35
3.6 Discussion 37
3.6.1 Conclusions on Epidemiological Trends 37
3.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis 38
3.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis 39
4 Appendix 40
4.1 Bibliography 40
4.2 About the Authors 45
4.2.1 Epidemiologists 45
4.2.2 Reviewers 45
4.2.3 Global Director of Epidemiology and Health Policy 46
4.2.4 Global Head of Healthcare 47
4.3 About GlobalData 48
4.4 About EpiCast 48
4.5 Disclaimer 49
List of Table
Table 1: International Clinical Diabetic Retinopathy Disease Severity Scale and ETDRS Severity 10
Table 2: Summary of the Reported Prevalence Rates of Diabetic Retinopathy Across the 5EU 15
Table 3: 7MM, Sources for Diagnosed Diabetic Retinopathy Prevalence 17
Table 4: 7MM, Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy in the Diagnosed Diabetic Population, N (%), Select Years, 2012-2022 30
Table 5: 7MM, Age-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy in the Diagnosed Diabetic Population, N (Row %), 2012 31
Table 6: 7MM, Sex-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy in the Diagnosed Diabetic Population, N (Row %), 2012 33
List of Chart
Figure 1: 7MM, Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy in the Diagnosed Diabetic Population, Both Sexes, Ages
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.