Construction in France-Key Trends and Opportunities to 2023
- July 2019
- 51 pages
The French construction industry registered marginal growth in 2018, with output expanding by 1.1% in real terms - down from 3.5% in 2017. The pace of expansion was hampered by sluggish economic growth, which eased to 1.5% in 2018, compared to 2.3% growth in 2017, owing in part to a hike in fuel taxes and transporters strikes. Investor confidence is also being undermined by political risks associated with the yellow vests protests. Although the number of protestors at the yellow vests rallies in France fell sharply by mid-2019, there are growing concerns over the impact on the economy from the disruption caused by the movement since it began late 2018. The protests were initially established to challenge fuel tax rises, but they escalated into a broader revolt against perceived elitism, with activists blaming the president, Emmanuel Macron.
The pace of growth in the French construction industry is expected to be weak over the forecast period (2019-2023), but there will be some support from investment in housing, transport, energy and tourism infrastructure projects. Moreover, construction work related to the hosting of the Olympic Games in 2024 is expected to support the industry output over the forecast period. The government plans to spend EUR6.8 billion (US$8 billion) to develop infrastructure related to the 2024 Olympic Games.
The government aims to reduce the countrys dependency on coal and nuclear power for electricity generation, in order to reduce risk and carbon emission. The government plans to decrease the share of nuclear energy in the countrys total energy mix from 75% in 2018 to 50% by 2035. To compensate this, the government is focusing on the development of renewable energy infrastructure.
The industrys output value in real terms is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1.44% over the forecast period.
GlobalDatas "Construction in France - Key Trends and Opportunities to 2023", report provides detailed market analysis, information and insights into the French construction industry, including -
- The French construction industry's growth prospects by market, project type and construction activity
- Critical insight into the impact of industry trends and issues, as well as an analysis of key risks and opportunities in the French construction industry
- Analysis of the mega-project pipeline, focusing on development stages and participants, in addition to listings of major projects in the pipeline.
- GlobalData expects the residential construction market to retain its leading position over the forecast-period and account for 40.9% of the industrys total value in 2023, driven by rising residential building permits, the low housing loan interest rate and government efforts to balance housing demand and supply through the construction of affordable houses. In April 2019, the government signed an agreement with housing developers to build 110,000 social housing annually and renovate 125,000 houses during the period of 2020-2022.
- Energy and utilities construction markets forecast-period growth will be driven by the governments focus on renewable energy. Under the Plan de Programmation Pluriannuelle de l'Energie, the government plans to generate 40% of the countrys total energy mix from renewable sources by 2030. Accordingly, the government plans to install 3GW of wind power plants during 2017-2023, and another 3GW during 2024-2030. The government also plans to install 18.4GW of solar energy power plants and 25GW of hydropower plants by 2023.
- GlobalData expects the infrastructure construction market to record a forecast-period CAGR of 2.64% in nominal terms, driven by the governments plan to connect major cities of the country with a fast railway network ahead of the 2024 Olympics. Accordingly, under the Grand Express Paris Express project, the government plans to build 200km of new metro lines with a total investment of EUR28.1 billion (US$33 billion) by 2024.
- Forecast-period growth in the institutional construction market will be driven by the governments focus on development of the healthcare infrastructure. In the 2019 budget, the government increased its spending on healthcare facilities by 2.5%, going from EUR80 billion (US$94.3 billion) in 2018 to EUR82 billion (US$95.4 billion) in 2019. Moreover, in September 2018, the government announced plans to spend EUR4.9 billion (US$5.7 billion) to modernize and digitalize healthcare infrastructure during the period of 2018-2022.
- The total construction project pipeline in France - as tracked by GlobalData, and including all mega projects with a value above US$25 million - stands at EUR338.1 billion (US$398.5 billion). The pipeline, which includes all projects from pre-planning to execution, is relatively skewed towards late stage projects, with 56.2% of the pipeline value being in projects in the late stages as of July 2019.
This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the construction industry in France. It provides -
- Historical (2014-2018) and forecast (2019-2023) valuations of the construction industry in France, featuring details of key growth drivers.
- Segmentation by sector (commercial, industrial, infrastructure, energy and utilities, institutional and residential) and by sub-sector
- Analysis of the mega-project pipeline, including breakdowns by development stage across all sectors, and projected spending on projects in the existing pipeline.
- Listings of major projects, in addition to details of leading contractors and consultants
Reasons to buy
- Identify and evaluate market opportunities using GlobalData's standardized valuation and forecasting methodologies.
- Assess market growth potential at a micro-level with over 600 time-series data forecasts.
- Understand the latest industry and market trends.
- Formulate and validate strategy using GlobalData's critical and actionable insight.
- Assess business risks, including cost, regulatory and competitive pressures.
- Evaluate competitive risk and success factors.
Have query on this report?Make an Enquiry
The team was the biggest help to us. Not only were we provided with customized solutions but also we were guided through the most complicated situations. The information was on-point yet comprehensive. The experience was absolutely satisfying and helped us turn many challenges into opportunities.
Ours is a startup with a unique set of challenges and we were therefore hesitant but the team totally put us at ease with their knowledge and expertise. Our business and its challenges were understood perfectly and help was extended accordingly. The tailor made approach really helped us gain the most informative insights.
The report repository is absolutely impressive –updated and exhaustive in terms of markets covered and information provides. Besides, with the support extended to us by the team, we could reduce costs as well as move to sustainable growth. This really helped us tap into new opportunities. Happy to have gone ahead with ResearchMos.us.
We have had a long term engagement with ResearchMoz.us and never have we felt that the work done and help extended were below flawless. The report repository is one of the best one can hope to tap into. Recently, our partner businesses opted for consultancy services and they are all thrilled with the outcome.
Insights from reports helped us improve our profit margins significantly. Most of the knowledge we needed on the market were provided to us on a granular basis. From trends, and drivers to competitive analysis, the information was not just crisp but also insightful. That helped us chart a robust growth strategy and as of now we are happy to state that we are reaping big benefits.
More from Construction
Manufacturing & ConstructionConstruction in Russia - Key Trends and Opportunities to 2023
Manufacturing & ConstructionConstruction in Finland - Key Trends and Opportunities to 2023
Manufacturing & ConstructionConstruction in Denmark - Key Trends and Opportunities to 2023
Manufacturing & ConstructionGlobal Clay Product and Refractory Market Size, Status and Forecast 2019-2025