Cigarettes in the Dominican Republic, 2017
"Cigarettes in the Dominican Republic, 2017", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Dominican Republic market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
The market for cigarettes in the Dominican Republic is characterized by long term decline. Rising prices are the main reason, although pre-tax purchasing has led to some increases prior to tax hikes being introduced. As a result of developments duty paid consumption stood down at 1.6 billion pieces in 2015 or 40.1% of its level in 1990. Per capita sales in 2016 were estimated at 151 pieces per year compared with 678 pieces in 1990. The market is dominated by sales of blond, filtered cigarettes in packs of 20, with 10s also available. Both soft packs and hard packs feature. Recent years have been characterized by a trend towards trading down, which has benefited the market-leading Nacional brand at the expense of the higher priced Marlboro, whose share was down to 15.2% in 2011. The impact of a major excise tax hike in January 2008 boosted Nacional's share to 58% by the end of the year with 60.7% recorded for 2011. More recently brands offered by is La Tabacalera have also been performing well as a result of this development.
- The future of the legitimate cigarette market is highly dependent on government taxation and pricing policies, as well as how quickly the economy grows set against a tight fiscal and monetary environment.
- With no FCTC-induced restrictions on smoking forthcoming, the Dominican Republic in theory is one of the more promising regional markets.
- However, recent pressure on prices has fueled contraband and depressed duty paid sales.
- Total duty paid volumes are forecast to remain depressed and end 2026 3.1% below 2016 levels 1.55 billion pieces.
- Per capita consumption is set to drop by 13% between 2016 and 2026 to 131 pieces.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 6
3. Market Structure 11
4. Manufacturers & Brands 15
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 20
5.1. Taxation 20
5.2. Retail Prices 21
6. The Smoking Population 22
7. Production & Trade 25
7.1. Production 25
7.2. Imports 27
7.3. Exports 30
8. Operating constraints 33
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 33
8.2. Health Warnings 33
8.3. Other Restrictions 33
9. Company Profiles 34
10. Prospects & Forecasts 36
11. Appendix 37
11.1. What is this Report About? 37
11.2. Time Frame 38
11.3. Product Category Coverage 38
11.4. Methodology 39
11.5. About GlobalData 41
11.6. Disclaimer 42
11.7. Contact Us 43
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016 7
Table 2: Duty Paid & Non Duty Paid Sales, 2009-2016 8
Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016 9
Table 4: Retail Sales of Cigarettes, 1993-2015 10
Table 5: Market Breakdown: Blond v Dark Cigarettes, 2000-2015, Million Pieces 11
Table 6: Market Breakdown: Blond v Dark Cigarettes, 2000-2015, % Volume 12
Table 7: Market Breakdown: Filter v Plain Cigarettes, 2005-2015, % Volume 13
Table 8: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2000-2016 17
Table 9: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, %, 2000-2016 18
Table 10: Brand Family Shares, 2004-2011, % 19
Table 11: Cigarette Price Per Pack, 1998-2011 21
Table 12: Smoking Population, 1990-2016 23
Table 13: Cigarette Production, 1990-2015 26
Table 14: Cigarette Imports, 2004-2014 27
Table 15: Imports by Country of Origin (2007-2015), Million Pieces 28
Table 16: Imports by Country of Origin (2007-2015), % 29
Table 17: Exports of Cigarettes, 2000-2009 30
Table 18: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2007-2015 31
Table 19: Exports by Country of Destination, %, 2007-2015 32
Table 20: Company profile: Philip Morris Dominicana SA(1) 34
Table 21: Company profile: La Tabacalera C por A (formerly Compaia Anonima Tabacalera) 35
Table 22: Consumption Forecasts to 2026 36
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 39
Figure 2: GlobalData at a glance 41
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.