Cigarettes in Latvia, 2017
"Cigarettes in Latvia, 2017", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Latvian market. The report analyzes the market size and structure, on both an overall and and per capita basis, based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise. Key companies and consumer trends are also analyzed.
Latvia is one of the three Baltic States and, like its two neighbors, joined the EU in 2004 and adopted the euro in 2014. As a result, cigarette taxes and prices are much higher in Latvia than other eastern European countries, like Belarus and Russia, as the country is forced to meet EU requirements and minimum pricing rules. The constant price and tax hikes from the government, with more planned in 2017 and 2018, has damaged demand for cigarettes and also encouraged the contraband trade. In fact, over a fifth of the cigarette market made up of illicit cigarettes in 2016 with most of these being smuggled in from Belarus and Russia. Overall the Latvian cigarette market, like many other markets in more developed nations, is in long term decline as smoking rates continue to fall, taxes and prices increase, and non-duty paid cigarette consumption continues to eat away at the legitimate market. This is exacerbated by the particularly strong influence of contraband cigarettes and the lack of any domestic cigarette factories, the last one closed in 2009, which makes the Latvian cigarette market and even more tough market for international brands.
- PMI is the largest brand in Latvia with over 40% of the market, as of 2016.
- Cigarette consumption fell to just under 2 billion pieces in 2016 from 5.8 billion pieces in 1990.
- Non-duty paid cigarettes were estimated to be 560 million pieces in 2016 or just over a fifth of the overall market.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 7
3. Market Structure 13
4. Manufacturers & Brands 15
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 20
5.1. Taxation 20
5.2. Retail Prices 23
6. The Smoking Population 26
7. Production and Trade 29
7.1. Production 29
7.2. Imports 31
7.3. Exports/Re-Exports 35
8. Operating Constraints 38
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 38
8.2. Health Warnings 38
8.3. Other Restrictions 39
9. Prospects & Forecasts 40
10. Appendix 42
10.1. What is this Report About? 42
10.2. Time Frame 43
10.3. Product Category Coverage 44
10.4. Methodology 45
10.5. About GlobalData 47
10.6. Disclaimer 48
10.7. Contact Us 49
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption , 1990-2016 7
Table 2: Releases for Consumption, 2002-2015 9
Table 3: Non-Duty Paid v Legitimate Consumption, 2002-2016, Million pieces 10
Table 4: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016 11
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales Volumes, Million Pieces, 2000-2016 17
Table 6: Manufacturer Sales Volumes, 2000-2016, % 18
Table 7: Top 10 Ranking Brands, 2007-2016 19
Table 8: EU Countries, Retail Price & Tax Incidence Comparison, Cigarettes, January 2017 21
Table 9: Ranking by Prices at Jan 2017 23
Table 10: Pack Prices, 2005-2017 25
Table 11: Smoking Population, 1990-2016 26
Table 12: Adult Smoking Prevalence by Gender & Age, 2010 & 2012, Percentage share (%) 28
Table 13: Adult Smoking Prevalence by Age & Educational Background, 2012, Percentage Share (%) 28
Table 14: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016, Million Pieces 30
Table 15: Imports of Cigarettes, 1994-2016 31
Table 16: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2016 33
Table 17: Imports by Country of Origin, Percentage share (%) , 2000-2016 34
Table 18: Exports of Cigarettes, 1994-2016 35
Table 19: Exports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2016 36
Table 20: Exports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, Percentage share (%) 37
Table 21: Consumption Forecasts to 2026 41
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 45
Figure 2: Global Data at a glance 47
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.