Cigarettes in Laos, 2017
"Cigarettes in Laos, 2017", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Laotian market. The report analyzes the market size and structure, on both an overall and and per capita basis, based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise. Key companies and consumer trends are also analyzed.
Laos is a small, agrarian south-east Asian country with a population of only seven million. Agriculture accounts for almost half of the economy but the nation has experienced high and stable economic growth in recent years as the country continues to modernize and industrialize. However, the cigarette market in the country has seen low growth rates because of the large non-duty paid sector and declining smoking rates. Nonetheless the incidence of smoking in Laos is very high but will see substantial contractions in the long term as taxes and anti-smoking government regulations impact the sector. For instance, the government is adopting a pro-active stance towards tobacco control with agreements with manufacturers and importers in place on certain forms of advertising and a ban on smoking in public places is planned. The Laos Tobacco Ltd is the dominant manufacturer in the country with a almost three-quarters the market in 2015 and is majority owned by Imperial Tobacco.
- Over 1 million people smoke in Laos translating to over one-in-seven people smoking.
- The majority of Laotian smokers were men with almost half the male population msoking while less than 6% of women smoke.
- Cigarette consumption has decreased from 4.2 billion pieces in 2010 to 3.2 billion pieces in 2016.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
1. Overview 5
2. Market Size 6
3. Market Structure 10
4. Manufacturers & Brands 11
5. Taxation & Retail Prices 15
5.1. Taxation 15
5.2. Retail Prices 16
6. The Smoking Population 19
7. Production and Trade 22
7.1. Production 22
7.2. Imports 24
7.3. Exports 26
8. Operating Constraints 28
8.1. Advertising Restrictions 28
8.2. Health Warnings 28
8.3. Other Restrictions 29
9. Company Profiles 30
10. Prospects & Forecasts 32
11. Appendix 34
11.1. What is this Report About? 34
11.2. Time Frame 35
11.3. Product Category Coverage 35
11.4. Methodology 36
11.5. About GlobalData 38
11.6. Disclaimer 39
11.7. Contact Us 40
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016 6
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016 8
Table 3: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2001-2016 12
Table 4: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, % volume, 2001-2016 13
Table 5: Retail Prices of Selected Brands, US$, 1999, 2002, 2005 & 2012 16
Table 6: Red A: Price Development, KIP/Pack, 1990-2012 17
Table 7: Smoking Population, 1990-2016 19
Table 8: Smoking Prevalence by Ethnic Group, 2007 21
Table 9: Cigarette Production, 1990-2015 22
Table 10: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2016 24
Table 11: Cigarettes Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, Million Pieces 25
Table 12: Exports of Cigarettes, 2004-2016 26
Table 13: Exports by Country of Destination, 2004-2016 27
Table 14: Company profile: Laos Tobacco Ltd 30
Table 15: Company profile: Laos-China Hongta Good Luck Tobacco Company 31
Table 16: Consumption Forecasts to 2026 33
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology 36
Figure 2: GlobalData at a glance 38
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.