While Japan is one of the largest markets for cigarettes in the world, demand has been in continuous decline since 1998. The unprecedented tax increase of 40.0%, effective from October 2010, pushed consumption downwards by around 10%, although this fall was in fact much lower than had been anticipated by most observers. In 2011 consumption fell again as a result of the widespread disruption caused by the tsunami. Fiscal 2013 saw a further contraction in market size, although a 0.9% increase followed in fiscal 2014 as consumers responded early to the planned tax increase. Another fall followed in fiscal 2015.
- Per capita consumption levels remain relatively high by global standards but they have fallen consistently every year since 1999.
- Japan Tobacco retains a legal monopoly over cigarette production in Japan and remains the dominant supplier.
- Its principal competitor is PMI, with BAT also present. The market is dominated by king size (85mm) cigarettes, but sales of 100mm sizes are quite significant and growing and these now hold around 10.0% of the market.
- Menthol products have been gaining share consistently, capturing 28.0% of the market in 2015
Cigarettes in Japan 2017 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Uruguay market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
2 Market Size
3 Market Structure
4 Manufacturers & Brands
5 Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6 The Smoking Population
7 Production and Trade
8 Operating Constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings and Labelling Requirements
8.3. Other Restrictions
9 Company Profiles
10 Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
11.5. About GlobalData
11.7. Contact Us
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, Million Pieces, 1990-2015
Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, Pieces per Day/Week/Year, 1990-2015
Table 3: Retail Sales of Cigarettes, Billion Yen, 1990-2015
Table 5: Market Breakdown, National v International Brands, Billion Pieces, 2000-2015
Table 5: Market Breakdown, National v International Brands, %, 2000-2015
Table 5: Segmentation by Marketed Strength, %, 2002-2014
Table 5: Average Marketed Strength Trends, Mg, 1990 & 2001-2013
Table 5: Menthol Cigarettes: Sales Trends, Billion Pieces & % Volume, 2000& 2002-2015
Table 5: D-Spec Products, Sales Trends, Billion Pieces & % Volume, 2003-2013
Table 5: Premium Cigarettes: Sales Trends, Billion Pieces & % Volume, 2008-2015
Table 1: Number of Cigarette Retailers & Vending Machines, 1997-2015
Table 5: Manufacturer Sales, Million Pieces, 2002-2015
Table 5: Manufacturers Market Share, % Volume, 2002-2015
Table 5: Japan Tobacco: Shares by Marketed Strength, % Volume, 2000-2012
Table 3: Manufacturer Positioning by Sector, % Volume, 2000-2009
Table 5: Market Shares, Leading Brand Families, % Volume, 2000-2015
Table 5: Market Shares, Leading Brand Variants, %, 2000-2015
Table 5: Japan Tobacco: New Product Launches by Category, 2004-2015
Table 5: Japan Tobacco: New Product Launches, 2004-2015
Table 8: Cigarette Tax Rates: 1985-2010
Table 3: JT-Approved Cigarette Price Increases, Yen/Pack (20), 2014
Table 8: Impact on Monthly Cigarette Sales of October 2010 Tax Increase, 2009-2011
Table 8: Tax Incidence & Margin Development per Pack, 2005-2014
Table 2: Cigarette Tax Collection, Million Yen, 2003-2012
Table 5: Breakdown of JT Brands by Price, % Volume, 2000-2015
Table 8: Average Retail Prices, Yen Per Pack (20), 2000-2009
Table 8: JT: Cigarette Brand Pricing, Price Yen, 2007-2014
Table 10: Smoking Population, 1990-2015
Table 5: Adult Males Smoking Prevalence by Age Group, %, 1999-2015
Table 5: Female Smoking Prevalence by Age Group, %, 1999-2015
Table 3: Smoking Prevalence by Gender & Region, %, 2015
Table 3: Average Number of Cigarettes Smoked by Gender & Age, %, 2011 & 2015
Table 11: Cigarette Production, Billion Pieces, 1990-2014
Table 12: Cigarette Imports, Million Pieces and %, 1990-2014
Table 5: Imports by Country of Origin, Million Pieces, 2000-2014
Table 5: Imports by Country of Origin, %, 2000-2014
Table 14: Cigarette Exports, Million Pieces and %, 1990-2014
Table 5: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2000-2014
Table 5: Exports by Country of Destination, %, 2000-2014
Table 15: Company profile: Japan Tobacco Inc.
Table 15: Company profile: Philip Morris KK
Table 16: Consumption Forecasts, Million Pieces and %, 2015-2025
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology
Figure 2: Global Data at a glance
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.