Binge Eating Disorder (BED): Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2027
Binge eating disorder (BED) was first noted by Albert Stunkard in 1959, who described the consuming of large quantities of food at irregular intervals and its link to obesity. However, BED was only officially recognized as a distinct eating disorder in 2013, with the publication of the Diagnosis and Statistical Manual, Fifth Edition. Previously, the American Psychiatry Association (APA) had listed binge eating as a feature of eating disorders not otherwise specified. Since its recognition as a distinct clinical disorder, awareness of BED has been slowly increasing, but BED is currently only properly diagnosed in a small proportion of cases.
BED is currently the most common eating disorder in the US. It tends to appear during late adolescence or adulthood, which is later than anorexia nervosa (AN) and bulimia nervosa (BN) typically present. Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is regarded as the first-line treatment for BED, but pharmacotherapy is also available as an adjunctive or alternative treatment to CBT. BED is associated with a number of comorbidities, including depression, anxiety, and substance abuse, which must be taken into account when selecting pharmacotherapy. Similarly to other eating disorders, individuals with BED can take decades to recover without treatment, and of those who do receive treatment, some may recover in less than a year, but it more commonly takes 3-7 years. At present only one pharmacotherapy is approved in the 7MM for the treatment of BED, Shires Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate), which received an approved label expansion to include BED by the FDA in 2015. However, other therapeutics including antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and obesity drugs, are commonly used as off-label treatments.
Key Questions Answered
- How will the BED therapeutic market landscape in the 7MM (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan) change from 2017-2027?
- What products are in clinical development for BED?
- How do the clinical and commercial attributes of drugs in development for BED compare with one another, and against existing treatment options?
- What are the remaining unmet needs in BED treatment management?
- What drivers and barriers will affect BED therapeutics sales in the 7MM over the forecast period?
- Overview of BED, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current management strategies.
- Topline BED market revenue from 2017-2027. Annual cost of therapy (ACOT) and major pipeline product sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include current treatment options, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting BED therapeutics sales in the 7MM.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development and detailed analysis of pipeline products.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global BED therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global BED therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the BED therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 5
1.2 List of Figures 5
2 Binge Eating Disorder (BED): Executive Summary 6
2.1 Rapid Growth Expected in the BED Marketplace from 2017-2027 7
2.2 Targeting Comorbidities Is a Dependable BED Treatment Development Route 8
2.3 Lack of Awareness Is the Greatest Unmet Need in BED Care 9
2.4 Dasotraline Expected to Become a Leading Pharmacotherapy for BED by 2027 10
2.5 What Do Physicians Think? 11
3 Introduction 14
3.1 Catalyst 14
3.2 Related Reports 15
4 Disease Overview 16
4.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 16
4.1.1 Etiology 16
4.1.2 Pathophysiology 17
4.2 Classification or Staging Systems 20
5 Epidemiology 21
5.1 Disease Background 21
5.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 22
5.3 Global and Historical Trends 22
5.4 Forecast Methodology 24
5.4.1 Sources 25
5.4.2 Forecast Assumptions and Methods 28
5.5 Epidemiological Forecast for BED (2017-2027) 33
5.5.1 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED 33
5.5.2 Age-Specific 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED 34
5.5.3 Sex-Specific 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED 35
5.5.4 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED by BMI 36
5.5.5 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED by BMI and Comorbid Mood Disorder 37
5.5.6 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED with Substance Abuse Disorder 38
5.6 Discussion 39
5.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 39
5.6.2 Limitations of Analysis 40
5.6.3 Strengths of Analysis 41
6 Current Treatment Options 42
6.1 Overview 42
6.2 Psychotherapy 45
7 Unmet Needs and Opportunity Assessment 48
7.1 Overview 48
7.2 Improved Awareness and Diagnosis of BED 49
7.3 Larger Pool of Approved BED Pharmacotherapies 51
7.4 Clinical Evidence for Long-Term Pharmacotherapy Efficacy 52
7.5 Increased Access to Psychotherapy 53
8 R&D Strategies 54
8.1 Overview 54
8.1.1 Targeting the Brains Reward System Receptors 55
8.1.2 Targeting Key Comorbidities of BED 55
8.1.3 Repurposing Weight-Loss Therapies 56
8.2 Clinical Trial Design 57
8.2.1 Binge Eating or Psychological Endpoints 58
8.2.2 Psychotherapy Inclusive 60
8.2.3 Clinical Trial Duration 60
9 Pipeline Assessment 62
9.1 Overview 62
9.2 Clinical Development of Off-Label BED Products 65
10 Pipeline Valuation Analysis 67
10.1 Clinical Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs 67
10.2 Commercial Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs 68
10.3 Competitive Assessment 69
10.4 Top-Line 10-Year Forecast 71
10.4.1 US 76
10.4.2 5EU 77
10.4.3 Japan 79
11 Appendix 80
11.1 Bibliography 80
11.2 Abbreviations 86
11.3 Methodology 88
11.3.1 Forecasting Methodology 88
11.3.2 Diagnosed Patients 88
11.3.3 Percent Drug-Treated Patients 89
11.3.4 Drugs Included in Each Therapeutic Class 89
11.3.5 Launch and Patent Expiry Dates 90
11.3.6 General Pricing Assumptions 90
11.3.7 Individual Drug Assumptions 91
11.3.8 Generic Erosion 98
11.3.9 Pricing of Pipeline Agents 98
11.3.10 Influence of Clinical Evidence on Off-Label Use in BED 99
11.4 Primary Research - KOLs Interviewed for This Report 100
11.5 Primary Research - Prescriber Survey 102
11.6 About the Authors 103
11.6.1 Analysts 103
11.6.2 Therapy Area Directors 103
11.6.3 Epidemiologist 104
11.6.4 Managing Epidemiologist 104
11.6.5 Global Director of Therapy Analysis and Epidemiology 105
11.6.6 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy 105
11.7 About GlobalData 106
11.8 Contact Us 106
11.9 Disclaimer 107
1.1 List of Tables
Table 1: BED: Key Metrics in the 7MM 6
Table 2: BED Severity Grading as Defined by DSM-5 20
Table 3: Risk Factors and Comorbidities for BED 22
Table 4: Treatment Guidelines for BED 44
Table 5: Leading Treatments for BED, 2017 45
Table 6: Comparison of Therapeutic Classes in Development for BED, 2017-2027 65
Table 7: Approved Drugs in Development for BED, 2018 65
Table 8: Clinical Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs - BED 68
Table 9: Commercial Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs - BED 69
Table 10: Key Events Impacting Sales for BED, 2017-2027 75
Table 11: Global Drivers and Barriers in the BED Market, 2017-2027 75
Table 12: Key Historical and Projected Launch Dates (BED Approval Date in Parentheses) 90
Table 13: Key Historical and Projected Patent Expiry Dates for BED 90
Table 14: High-Prescribing Physicians (non-KOLs) Surveyed, By Country 102
1.2 List of Figures
Figure 1: Global Sales Forecast by Country for BED in 2017 and 2027 8
Figure 2: Competitive Assessment of the Marketed and Pipeline Drugs Benchmarked Against the SOC, Vyvanse 11
Figure 3: Anatomy of the Reward System in the Human Brain 18
Figure 4: Age-Standardized 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalence of BED in the 7MM, Ages 13 Years, 2017 24
Figure 5: Sources Used and Not Used for Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED 25
Figure 6: Sources Used and Not Used for Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED by BMI 26
Figure 7: Sources Used for Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED by BMI and Comorbid Mood Disorder 27
Figure 8: Sources Used for Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED with Substance Abuse Disorder 28
Figure 9: 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED, 7MM, Men and Women, Ages 13 Years, N, 2017 34
Figure 10: Age-Specific 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED, 7MM, Men and Women, Ages 13 Years, N, 2017 35
Figure 11: Sex-Specific 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED, 7MM, Ages 13 Years, N, 2017 36
Figure 12: 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED by BMI, 7MM, Men and Women, Ages 13 Years, N, 2017 37
Figure 13: 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED by BMI and Comorbid Mood Disorder, 7MM, Men and Women, Ages 13 Years, N, 2017 38
Figure 14: 12-Month Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BED with Substance Abuse Disorder, 7MM, Men and Women, Ages 13 Years, N, 2017 39
Figure 15: Breakdown of the Main Psychotherapy Techniques Applied to BED 47
Figure 16: Unmet Needs and Opportunities in BED 49
Figure 17: Overview of the Clinical Development in BED 63
Figure 18: Key Ongoing Clinical Trials for BED Therapeutics in the 7MM 64
Figure 19: Competitive Assessment of the Marketed and Pipeline Drugs Benchmarked Against the SOC, Vyvanse 71
Figure 20: Global (7MM) Sales Forecast by Country for BED in 2017 and 2027 73
Figure 21: Global Sales Forecast by Class for BED in 2017 and 2027 74
Figure 22: Sales Forecast by Class for BED in the US in 2017 and 2027 77
Figure 23: Sales Forecast by Class for BED in the 5EU in 2017 and 2027 78
Figure 24: Sales Forecast by Class for BED in Japan in 2017 and 2027 79
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.