Published by Canadean, this Quarterly Beverage Tracker report provides a detailed analysis of the latest developments in the Belarus beverage market
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
In the current climate of economic uncertainty and market volatility companies need to know about more than just data. This report provides a complete overview of all commercial beverage consumption trends, latest market developments and an economic mood indicator
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The share of premium and enhanced products continued to decline as operators tried to concentrate on affordable and popular products. Carbonates increased by 6% with fermented kvass sales continue to demonstrate good growth. Kvass is one of the few soft drinks segments that many operators consider still has room for growth.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The country's economy significantly slowed due to a decline in exports and new product development was rather weak in Q3-13. Increased excise duty reduced profitability of brewing and led to a decline in development of the beer category and volumes contracted by 5%.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
Designed for clients who want to understand the latest trends in the Belarusian beverage industry and want more detail and analysis on this data. Canadean's Belarus Quarterly Beverage Tracker report is ideal for benchmarking total market vs retail audit data and is an essential tool for keeping up-to-date with the latest industry and market developments
Key Features and Benefits
- Readers are provided with a summary snap shot table showing category growth in Q3 2012 vs Q32012, together with 2012 actual volumes, 2012 forecast volumes and projected growth
- An economic mood indicator, completed by Canadean's local consultant, examines (on a scale of one to five) whether confidence levels in the industry are better or worse than the previous quarter, whether net prices are rising or falling and how Private Label products have performed versus the rest of the market. Selected retail pricing data is given for the most recent quarter and the previous four quarters, enabling analysis of price movements.
- Key highlights of the last quarter's commercial beverage performance are identified and the key market drivers examined
- Volumes for Q3 2012 vs Q32012, full year 2012, moving annual totals (MAT) and 2012 forecasts are provided for each individual beverage category, together with supporting text on quarterly performance and forecast assumptions. More granular data is provided for the Carbonates category, with data split by regular vs low calorie, and by key flavours. Significant activity in the soft drinks industry is covered including recent new product introductions (detailing flavour, pack type, pack size, retail price and selected pack shots) and the latest industry news.
- Focus on functional soft drinks and healthy innovation
Key Market Issues
- Most nectars in Belarus share brand names with juice products and are priced at the same level. Usually consumption dynamics of nectars reflect that of juice but many nectars are more cost-effective for producers to make and producers began to convert popular juice brands into nectars. As a rule consumers do not differentiate between the two categories when they share a brand name.
- Overall, the spirits category lost around 9% in Q3-13 vs Q3-12 driven down by the increases in price (as a result of tax rises) at a time of declining consumer mood.
- Flavored milk drinks are fairly new to most consumers in Belarus and it remains an easy product to exclude from shopping.
- Growth of the Belarusian economy slowed down and was quite unstable in Q3-13 as exports dropped.
- As well as prices increasing, most official tariffs and fines also demonstrated some growth in Q3-13.
- Fermented kvass sales remained one of the drivers behind the carbonates category growth, with fermented kvass growing faster than the market. Producers, especially breweries, promote their products as a 'healthier alternative to artificial carbonates'.
- Production of white milk in Belarus continues to grow. At the same time, Belarus was able to increase export of white milk to foreign markets (by 20% vs Q3-12), mainly to Russia. In August and September Russian authorities promised to restrict import of dairy products from Belarus in order to protect the internal market.
- Sales of iced/rtd tea drinks in 2013 are forecast to increase by up to 23% due to the expected strong performance of market leaders. This new, fashionable category attracts consumers' attention and was aided when domestic operators recently introduced more affordable products.
- Sales of the fairly recently introduced (Q4-10) cider category continue to show positive development: in Belarus the beverage is actively replacing FABs.
- An increase was recorded for soymilk in Q3-13 following a long period of decline however, volumes remain tiny. Improved purchasing power allowed consumers to choose not only inexpensive basic products but also experiment with other categories of commercial beverages, including soymilk.
Table of Content
Canadean Belarus Quarterly Beverage Tracker
AT A GLANCE - QUARTERLY PERFORMANCE AND LATEST FORECAST
Iced/RTD Tea Drinks
Other Alcoholic Drinks
Cultured Dairy Drinks
Other Liquid Dairy
Soft Drinks Quarterly Update
New Products and Photo Shots
FOCUS ON FUNCTIONAL SOFT DRINKS AND HEALTHY INNOVATION
List of Table
Table 1: Belarus at a Glance - Quarterly Performance and Latest Forecast
Table 2: Impact Of The Economic Situation
Table 3: Functional Soft Drinks, 2011-2013F
Table 4: Commercial Beverage Market Trends - Million Litres, 2012-2013F
Table 5: Commercial Beverage Market Trends - Million Unit Cases, 2012-2013F
Table 6: Soft Drinks Market Trends - Million Litres, 2012-2013F
Table 7: Soft Drinks Market Trends - Million Unit Cases, 2012-2013F
Table 8: Carbonates Market Trends - Million Litres, 2012-2013F
Table 9: Carbonates Market Trends - Million Unit Cases, 2012-2013F
Table 10: Selected Retail Price Movements, 2012-2013
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.