GlobalData, the industry analysis specialist’s new report, “Atherosclerosis or Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2017” is an essential source of information and analysis on the global coronary artery disease (CAD) therapeutics market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the CAD market. The report also provides insight into the prevalent competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to bring a significant shift in the positioning of the existing market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insight into the pipeline products within the global CAD therapeutics sector.
This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GlobalData’s team of industry experts. The Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) therapeutics market is a highly competitive market and is expected to become more competitive by 2017. Three major patent expiries are expected during the forecast period, Plavix and Lipitor by 2012, and Crestor by 2016. The patent expiries of these blockbuster drugs will trigger generic competition in the CAD therapeutics market, making it more competitive. However, an increase in the number of CAD patients and the entry of novel therapies will be responsible for the stable growth predicted between 2013 and 2017. The present market products for the treatment of CAD have overall high efficacy and safety standards.
The market also has two other modes of treatment, which are Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) and angioplasty. The CAD mortality rate is very high compared to other diseases, due to the coronary events associated with CAD, which include Myocardial Infarction (MI), angina and stroke. Therefore, the prevention of such events remains an untapped area of Research and Development (R&D) for pharmaceutical companies to bring novel drugs into the market. It would be sufficient for newer entrants to demonstrate a superior efficacy and safety profile in order to capture value in the market from the currently-used branded and generic treatments. GlobalData’s analysis estimates that darapladib, anacetrapib, dalcetrapib, aliskiren and vorapaxar are likely to get market approval in the forecast period as these drugs are expected to have higher efficacy and safety profiles in the treatment of CAD. GlobalData’s analysis shows that the market grew at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 6.5% from $10.5 billion in 2001 to $17 billion in 2009. The market is predicted to grow at a marginal CAGR of 0.15% from 2009 and to reach a total value of $17.6 billion by 2017.
The scope of the report includes:
- Annualized global CAD therapeutics market revenues data from 2001 to 2009, forecast forward for seven years to 2017.
- Geographies covered in this report include the US, the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and Japan.
- Pipeline analysis data providing an overview of different phases, mechanisms of action being developed, and emerging trends. Key classes of mechanism of action include Lp-PLA2 inhibitor, CETP inhibitors, rennin inhibitors and platelet aggregation inhibitors.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global CAD therapeutics market. Key market players covered are are Merck & Co., Inc. Roche, Novartis AG and GSK .
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, and the implications for the future market associated with CAD.
Reasons to buy
The report will enhance your decision making capability in a more rapid and time sensitive manner. It will allow you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global CAD therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global CAD therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present the maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
- What’s the next big thing in the global CAD market landscape? Identify, understand, and capitalize.
Table of Contents
1 Table of contents 3
1.1 List of Tables 5
1.2 List of Figures 5
2 Coronary Artery Disease Introduction 6
2.1 Overview 6
2.2 GlobalData Pipeline Report Guidance 6
3 Coronary Artery Disease Market Characterization 7
3.1 Coronary Artery Disease Market Size 7
3.2 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market Forecast and CAGR 8
3.3 Drivers and Barriers for the Coronary Artery Disease Market 9
3.3.1 Drivers of the Coronary Artery Disease Market 9
3.3.2 Barriers for the Coronary Artery Disease Market 9
3.4 Opportunity and Unmet Need 10
3.5 Key Takeaway 11
4 Coronary Artery Disease Competitive Assessment 12
4.1 Overview 12
4.2 Strategic Competitor Assessment 12
4.3 Product Profiles for the Major Marketed Products in the Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market 13
4.3.1 Lipitor (atorvastatin) 13
4.3.2 Crestor (rosuvastatin calcium) 14
4.3.3 Plavix (clopidogrel) 14
4.3.4 Pravachol (pravastatin sodium) 15
4.3.5 Niaspan (Niacin) 16
4.4 Key Takeaway 17
5 Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline Assessment 18
5.1 Overview 18
5.2 Strategic Pipeline Assessment 18
5.2.1 Technology Trends Analytic Framework 18
5.3 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Promising Drugs Under Clinical Development 20
5.4 Drugs under Clinical Development 20
5.4.1 Darapladib 20
5.4.2 Anacetrapib 21
5.4.3 Dalcetrapib (RG1658, JTT-705, RO4607381) 22
5.4.4 Aliskiren 23
5.4.5 Vorapaxar 24
5.5 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market Clinical Pipeline by Mechanism of Action 25
5.6 Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline Pipeline by Clinical Phases of Development 26
5.6.1 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Phase III Clinical Pipeline 26
5.6.2 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Phase II Clinical Pipeline 27
5.6.3 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Phase I Clinical Pipeline 27
5.6.4 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Pre-clinical Pipeline 28
5.7 Discontinued/Suspended Drugs for Coronary Artery Disease 28
5.8 Key Takeaway 29
6 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market Implications for Future Market Competition 30
7 Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market: Future Players in the Cornary Artery Disease Market 31
7.1 Introduction 31
7.2 GlaxoSmithKline plc 31
7.2.1 Overview 31
7.2.2 Business Description 32
7.2.3 Cardiovascular Portfolio 34
7.2.4 Coronary Artery Disease Product Portfolio 34
7.3 Novartis AG 35
7.3.1 Overview 35
7.3.2 Business Description 35
7.3.3 Cardiovascular Portfolio 36
7.3.4 Coronary Artery Disease Product Portfolio 36
7.4 Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. 37
7.4.1 Overview 37
7.4.2 Business Description 37
7.4.3 Cardiovascular Portfolio 39
7.4.4 Coronary Artery Disease Product Portfolio 39
7.5 Merck & Co., Inc. 40
7.5.1 Overview 40
7.5.2 Business Description 40
7.5.3 Cardiovascular Portfolio 42
7.5.4 Coronary Artery Disease product portfolio 42
8 Coronary Artery Disease: Appendix 45
8.1 Definitions 45
8.2 Acronyms 45
8.3 Research Methodology 47
8.3.1 Coverage 47
8.3.2 Secondary Research 47
8.3.3 Forecasting 48
8.3.4 Primary Research 51
8.3.5 Expert Panels 51
8.4 Contact Us 51
8.5 Disclaimer 51
8.6 Sources 52
List of Table
Table 1: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market, Global, Revenues ($bn), 2001-2009 7
Table 2: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market, Global, Revenues ($bn), 2009-2017 8
Table 3: Major Marketed Products in the Coronary Artery Disease Market, 2010 17
Table 4: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Promising Drugs Under Clinical Development, 2010 20
Table 5: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Phase III Clinical Pipeline, 2010 26
Table 6: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Phase II Clinical Pipeline, 2010 27
Table 7: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Phase I Clinical Pipeline, 2010 27
Table 8: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Pre-clinical Pipeline, 2010 28
Table 9: List of Discontinued Drugs for Coronary Artery Disease, 2010 28
Table 10: GlaxoSmithKline plc Cardiovascular and Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline, 2010 34
Table 11: Novartis AG Cardiovascular and Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline, 2010 36
Table 12: Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. Cardiovascular and Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline, 2010 39
Table 13: Merck & Co., Inc. Cardiovascular and Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline, 2010 42
List of Chart
Figure 1: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market, Global, Revenues ($bn), 2001-2009 7
Figure 2: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market, Global, Revenues ($bn), 2009-2017 8
Figure 3: Opportunity and Unmet Need in the Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market 10
Figure 4: Strategic Competitor Assessment of the Major Marketed Products in Coronary Artery Disease, 2010 12
Figure 5: Technology Trends Analytic Framework of the Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline, 2010 19
Figure 6: Technology Trends Analytic Framework of Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline Description, 2010 19
Figure 7: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market Clinical Pipeline by Mechanism of Action, 2010 25
Figure 8: Coronary Artery Disease Pipeline by Phase of Clinical Development, 2010 26
Figure 9: Implications for Future Market Competition in the Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market, 2010 30
Figure 10: Coronary Artery Disease Therapeutics Market Clinical Pipeline by Company, 2010 31
Figure 11: GlobalData Market Forecasting Model 50
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.