GlobalData, the industry analysis specialist, has released its new report, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2017. The report is an essential source of information and analysis on the global ALS market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the global ALS market. The report also provides insights on the prevalent competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to significantly alter the market positioning of the current market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insights on the pipeline products within the global ALS sector. This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GlobalDatas team of industry experts.
GlobalData estimates that the global Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) therapeutics market was valued at $174m in 2009. It is expected to grow to $234m at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 3.8% by 2017. This slow growth is attributed to the patent expiry of Rilutek in 2012, which is the only approved drug in the market for the treatment of ALS. The etiology of ALS is not known, which poses significant challenges for prospective market entrants. The ageing population and the orphan drug status of the pipeline molecules will be the key drivers of this market.
The report provides information on the key drivers and challenges of the ALS market. Its scope includes:
- Annualized global ALS market revenues data from 2001 to 2009, forecast for eight years to 2017.
- Pipeline analysis data providing a split across the different phases, mechanisms of action being developed and emerging trends. Pipeline candidates fall under major therapeutic classes such as glutamate receptor antagonists, SOD1 protein folding stabilizers, stem cell therapy, Sodium channel blockers, Interleukin-2 (IL-2) inhibitors, immunomodulators, dopamine antagonists, cell protectants, antioxidants, antibiotics and free radical scavengers.
- Analysis of the current and future competition in the global ALS market. Key market players covered are Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation, Eisai Co., Ltd., the Avicena Group and Sangamo BioSciences, Inc.
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide a qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs and the implications for the ALS therapeutics market.
Reasons to buy
The report will enhance your decision making capability. It will allow you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global ALS market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments and companies likely to impact the global ALS market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
- Whats the next big thing in the global ALS market landscape? Identify, understand and capitalize.
Table Of Content
1 Table of contents
1 Table of contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 4
1.2 List of Figures 4
2 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics Market: Introduction 5
2.1 GlobalData Pipeline Report Guidance 5
3 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics: Market Characterization 7
3.1 ALS Therapeutics Market Size 7
3.2 ALS Therapeutics Market Forecast and CAGR 7
3.3 Drivers and Barriers for the ALS Therapeutics Market 8
3.3.1 Drivers for the ALS Therapeutics Market 8
3.3.2 Barriers for the ALS Therapeutics Market 9
3.4 Opportunity and Unmet Need 9
3.5 Key Takeaway 10
4 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics: Competitive Assessment 11
4.1 Overview 11
4.2 Strategic Competitor Assessment 11
4.3 Product Profile for the Major Marketed Products in the ALS Therapeutics Market 12
4.3.1 Rilutek (Riluzole) 12
4.4 Key Takeaway 13
5 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics: Pipeline Assessment 14
5.1 Overview 14
5.2 Strategic Pipeline Assessment 14
5.2.1 Technology Trends Analytic Framework 14
5.3 ALS Therapeutics Promising Drugs Under Clinical Development 15
5.4 Molecule Profile for Promising Drugs under Clinical Development 16
5.4.1 Radicut 16
5.4.2 E0302 16
5.4.3 Olesoxime 16
5.4.4 ALS-02 17
5.4.5 KNS-760704 17
5.4.6 SB-509 18
5.5 ALS Therapeutics Market Clinical Pipeline by Mechanism of Action 19
5.6 ALS Therapeutics Pipeline Pipeline by Clinical Phases of Development 19
5.6.1 ALS Therapeutics Phase III Clinical Pipeline 20
5.6.2 ALS Therapeutics Phase II Clinical Pipeline 20
5.6.3 ALS Therapeutics Phase I Clinical Pipeline 21
5.6.4 ALS Therapeutics Pre-clinical Pipeline 21
5.6.5 ALS Therapeutics Discovery Pipeline 22
5.7 Key Takeaway 22
6 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics Market: Implications for Future Market Competition 23
7 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics Market: Future Players in the ALS Therapeutics Market 24
7.1 Introduction 24
7.2 Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation 24
7.2.1 Overview 24
7.2.2 ALS Portfolio 25
7.2.3 ALS Pipeline Portfolio 25
7.3 Eisai Pharmaceuticals 25
7.3.1 Overview 25
7.3.2 ALS Portfolio 25
7.3.3 ALS Pipeline Portfolio 26
7.4 The Avicena Group, Inc. 26
7.4.1 Overview 26
7.4.2 ALS Pipeline Portfolio 27
7.5 Sangamo BioSciences 27
7.5.1 Overview 27
7.5.2 ALS Portfolio 28
7.5.3 ALS Pipeline Portfolio 28
8 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics Market: Appendix 29
8.1 Definitions 29
8.2 Scope of Pipeline Research 29
8.3 Abbreviations 29
8.4 Research Methodology 30
8.4.1 Coverage 30
8.4.2 Secondary Research 30
8.4.3 Forecasting 31
8.4.4 Primary Research 33
8.4.5 Expert Panel Validation 34
8.5 Contact Us 34
8.6 Disclaimer 34
8.7 Sources 35
List of Table
Table 1: ALS Therapeutics, Global, Market Revenues ($m), 2001-2009 7
Table 2: ALS Therapeutics, Global, Market Forecasts ($m), 2009-2017 8
Table 3: Major Marketed Products Comparison in the ALS Therapeutics Market, 2010 12
Table 4: ALS Therapeutics Most Promising Drugs Under Clinical Development, 2010 15
Table 5: ALS Therapeutics Phase III Clinical Pipeline, 2010 20
Table 6: ALS Therapeutics Phase II Clinical Pipeline, 2010 20
Table 7: ALS Therapeutics Phase I Clinical Pipeline, 2010 21
Table 8: ALS Therapeutics Pre-clinical Pipeline, 2010 21
Table 9: ALS Therapeutics Discovery Pipeline, 2010 22
Table 10: Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation ALS Pipeline Products, 2010 25
Table 11: Eisai Pharmaceuticals ALS Pipeline Products, 2010 25
Table 12: Isis Pharmaceuticals ALS Pipeline Products, 2010 26
Table 13: Sangamo BioSciences ALS Pipeline Products, 2010 28
List of Chart
Figure 1: ALS Therapeutics, Global, Market Revenues ($m), 2001-2009 7
Figure 2: ALS Therapeutics, Global, Market Forecasts ($m), 2009-2017 8
Figure 3: Opportunity and Unmet Need in the ALS Therapeutics Market, 2010 10
Figure 4: Strategic Competitor Assessment of the Major Marketed Products for ALS, 2010 11
Figure 5: Technology Trends Analytic Framework of the ALS Pipeline, 2010 14
Figure 6: Technology Trends Analytic Framework of the ALS Therapeutics Pipeline Description, 2010 15
Figure 7: ALS Therapeutics Market Clinical Pipeline by Mechanism of Action, 2010 19
Figure 8: ALS Therapeutics Pipeline by Phase of Clinical Development, 2010 19
Figure 9: Implications for Future Market Competition in the ALS Market, 2010 23
Figure 10: ALS Therapeutics Market Clinical Pipeline by Company, 2010 24
Figure 11: GlobalData Market Forecasting Model 33