Published by Canadean, the West Europe Sports Drinks Report 2012 provides a detailed analysis of the sports drinks market in West Europe, with data at a regional and individual country level, including forecasts to 2015
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The West Europe Sports Drinks Report 2012 is an essential guide for anyone with an interest in the sports drinks market and forms part of Canadean's best selling series of global soft drinks reports.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Ready to drinks sports drinks were the main segment in the category The battle between orange and other non-fruit flavor popularity increased during the year. The latter segment was driven by trendy flavors with intense colors such as ice blue in Spain.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
As consumers are attracted to the category's convenience rtd options are expected to continue to dominate. In an effort to encourage cautious consumers to spend, average prices in the on-premise channel remained fairly stable during the year.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The report comprises of data tables and supporting text, providing information at a regional and country level. The report is compiled from Canadean's extensive global soft drinks databases which are researched individually by country using our specialist researchers 'on the ground'. Comprising of 16 individual country profiles, plus a regional summary, the report provides an invaluable guide to the latest trends and forecasts in the sports drinks category.
Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- Dataincludesconsumption volumes (million litres and litres per capita)from 2006 to 2011, plus forecasts to 2015 by country.
- Percentage market shares are provided for segmentation data, packaging dataand distribution (2010 and 2011 actuals, plus 2012 forecasts).
- Leading companies' market shares for 2010 and 2011 are provided.
- A market valuation is provided for eachcountry and, where applicable, new products in 2011 are identified by country.
- Supporting text includes commentary on current and emerging trends, segmentation, packaging, distribution, pricing/valuation and where applicable, functional products and private label
- Before the recession the marketing strategies of the big sports drinks brands became broader and broader rather than focusing on their core customer group of athletes and sports professionals. In Austria, during the economic downturn these 'rented customers' switched to cheaper alternatives.
- In France, Private Label penetration remains very limited in this category as sports drinks rely heavily on advertising and brand image.
- Whilst sports drinks are performance enhancers due to their base formulation, currently no product in the region has had ingredients added for the purpose of general or specific health benefits.
- Prices remained fairly stable with large differences between branded products and Private Label lines. While 50cl Private Label sports drinks typically cost around 0.29, 50cl branded sports drinks cost at least three times more in Germany.
- The increase in soft drinks tax in Denmark will be another blow to prospects for the category.
- In Germany the perception of sports has changed and it has become an important part of modern lifestyle, not just a way to maintain and improve physical fitness.
- Across the region, the London 2012 Olympics will help the category with various sponsoring, advertising and promotional activities which some leading brands will support.
- Norwegian consumption suffered as there was no innovation in 2011 by any of the leading sport drinks brands. The leading brands were more focused in marketing on their carbonated beverages, packaged water and energy drinks.
- In some countries, companies are reducing their overall marketing investment leading to disinvestment in smaller niche categories, such as sports drinks.
- In Greece, the premium price positioning will remain a significant barrier against the expansion of this category, particularly in the light of the deepening economic crisis. Development is also expected to be constrained by the limited size of the target audience of 'active' Greeks who participate in sporting activities and understand and appreciate the isotonic properties of the beverage.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Regional Summary - Sport Drinks Data Tables
Consumption (Million Litres) By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
Litres per Capita Consumption By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
8oz Servings per Capita Consumption By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
Consumption (Million Cases) By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
Share of Consumption by Segment: Top Flavors, By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Segment: Still vs. Carbonated, 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Top Packaging Materials, By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Segment: Refillable vs. Non-Refillable, By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Pack Mix: Single-Serve (<=60cl) vs. Multi-Serve(>60cl), By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Distribution: Off-Premise (Retail/At Home) vs. On-Premise (Away from Home), By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Table - Sports Drinks Key Facts
Market Size - Consumption Million Litres, Litres Per Capita, 2011
Growth - CAGR% 06-11, CAGR % 08-11, CAGR% 10-11
Market Value (at Consumer Price), Local Currency/US$, 2011
Segmentation - RTD/non-RTD, % Market Share, 2011
Distribution - Off-Premise/On-Premise, % Market Share, 2011
Packaging - Material, % Market Share, 2011
Chart -Sports Drinks Leading Trademark Owners, 2011
Current and Emerging Trends
Private Label/Private Label Producers
Sport Drinks New Products 2011
Consumption, Million Litres/Litres Per Capita, 2006-2015F
Segments: Flavor, Still vs. Carbonated, RTD,% Market Share, 2010-2012F
Packaging: Material / Non-Refillable vs. Refillable / Multi Serve vs. Single Serve, % Market Share, 2010-2012F
Distribution: Off-Premise vs. On-Premise, % Market Share, 2010-2012F
Leading Companies, % Market Share, 2010-2011
WEST EUROPE: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.