Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavoured). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 USA Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the USA cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The cider market is growing strongly, mirroring the rapid gains of the craft beer market.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
2012's growth was driven by combination of the expanding consumer base and wider range of offerings produced by major industry players.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The US Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the USA cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
- Cider is attracting a variety of consumers, including those who don't like beer or wine, those who are looking for a more natural beverage than beer, and particularly those who have gluten intolerance that cannot digest beer.
- The variety of flavours that cider offers is a driver of its growth, many brewers are offering variety packs and different flavours.
- Consumers are becoming more curious and looking for new and exciting products to try. In many places throughout the United States, consumers have access to flavours from around the world, causing a surge in curiosity.
- Cider consumers are very similar to craft beer consumers and the recent spike in craft beer demand is positively affecting cider's growth.
- Imports account for around 20% of the market and are dominated by brands from the UK and Ireland.
- The cider market is growing strongly, mirroring the rapid gains of the craft beer market.
- Fruit flavoured ciders are becoming increasingly popular, as are pear based products.
- There are several ciders being offered by the major industry players in the already strong beer market in the USA. The strong positions and reputations of these major players such as A-BInBev and Boston Beer have greatly benefited the performance of their cider brands.
- Cider growth rates will remain in the double- digits moving forward.
- The top three brands represented 60% of the market in 2012. This is expected to decline in 2013 because of the arrival of new brands
Table of Content
Section 1 Market Update
- Market Size
- Market Value
- Distribution 2012
- Current and Emerging Trends
- Imports and Exports
- Top 10 Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
- Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
- Brand Analysis
- Private Label/Private Label Producers
- New Products Activity
- Chart - Leading Brewers/Imports, 2012
- Market Structure
- Cider Producers/Importers
- Chart - Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012
- Packaging Trends
- Chart - Distribution by Channel, 2012
- Chart - Consumption by Price Segment, 2012
- Market Valuation and Pricing
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
- Distribution Trends
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
- Table 1.2.1 - Taxation Base
- Table 1.2.2 - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
- Table 1.2.3 - Legal Controls on Cider
- State Taxes
- Table 1.3.1 - Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
- Table 1.3.2 - Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
- Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Litres, 2002-2013F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2002-2013F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Litres, 2002-2013F
- Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Litres of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
- Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
- Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F.
- Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
- Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
- Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
- Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
- Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
- Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
- Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
- Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
- Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012
- Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
- Cider Private Label Brands, 2008-2012
- Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
- Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
- Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
- Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
- Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
- VERMONT HARD CIDER COMPANY
- Green Mountain Cider Company Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
- HORNSBY'S PUB DRAFT CIDER LTD
- Hornsby's Pub Draft Cider Ltd Brand Volumes, 2008-2012
MINOR CIDER COMPANIES
- Original Sin Corporation
- The California Cider Company
- The Boston Beer Company Inc
- Crispin Cider
- Fox Barrel Cider Company
- Fish Brewing Company
- Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
- Product Definitions
- Packaging Definitions
List of Table
Table 1: Cider Key Facts
Table 2: Top 10 Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 3: Top 10 International Premium and Superpremium Cider Brands - Volume, 2010-2012
Table 4: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 5: - Taxation Base
Table 6: - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
Table 7: - Legal Controls on Cider
Table 8: - Tax Burden on Cider
Table 9: State Taxes
Table 10: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 11: Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2011-2013
Table 12: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Litres Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 13: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita % Share, 2002-2013F
Table 14: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Per Capita Growth, 2003-2013F
Table 15: Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Liters, 2002-2013F
Table 16: Average Beverage Consumption - Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2002-2013F
Table 17: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption, 2005-2013F
Table 18: Cider Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2005-2013F
Table 19: Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2002-2013F
Table 20: Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2011-2013F
Table 21: Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2009-2013F
Table 22: Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2009-2013F
Table 23: Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2009-2013F
Table 24: Cider Consumption by Type, 2009-2013F
Table 25: Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2009-2013F
Table 26: Cider All Trademarks, 2008-2012
Table 27: Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2008-2012
Table 28: Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2008-2012
Table 29: Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012
Table 30: Cider Brands by Type, 2008-2012 .
Table 31: Imported Brands by Origin, 2008-2012
Table 32: Cider Private Label Brands, 2008-2012
Table 33: Cider Trademark Owners, 2008-2012
Table 34: Cider Local Operators, 2008-2012
Table 35: Cider leading Brewers/Importers, 2008-2012
Table 36: Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refillability/Pack/Size, 2009-2013F
Table 37: Cider Distribution: On vs Off Premise, 2009-2013F
Table 38: Vermont Hard Cider Co Full Brand List
Table 39: Vermont Hard Cider Company Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 40: Hornsby's Full Brand List
Table 41: Hornsby's Pub Draft Cider Ltd Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 42: Boston Beer Cider Brand List
Table 43: Boston Beer Co. Brand Volumes 2008-2012
Table 44: Crispin Cider Brand List
Table 45: Crispin Cider Company Brand Volumes 2008-2012 .
Table 46: Company Original Sin Corporation
Table 47: Company The California Cider Company
Table 48: Company Fox Barrel Cider Company .
Table 49: Company Fish Brewing Company
List of Chart
Figure 1: Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2012 . 17
Figure 2: Cider Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2012.
Figure 3: Cider Distribution by Channel, 2012
Figure 4: Cider Consumption by Price Segment, 2012