Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, flavored). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 Switzerland Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Swiss cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Cider continues to be enjoyed at summer exhibitions, horse jumping competitions, in beer gardens (outside of urban areas) and at local lakes used for swimming. However, it must compete for share of throat with other popular summer drinks such as iced tea, apple shorley and wine spritzers (wine and carbonated mineral water). Cider is expected to maintain a minority share of the product mix. Cider is mostly consumed by the older generation.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The consumption of domestically produced cider fell again by 5% in 2011, a trend that began in 2008. This is a direct result of decreased demand in the traditional Swiss restaurants and taverns. As the population ages, the cider drinking segment comprised of mostly elderly individuals continues to decrease. The high valuation of the Swiss Franc supported imports.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Switzerland Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Switzerland cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles.
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
- The declining consumption trend is expected to continue as the category\'s main target group continues to age.
- Cider lacks the drive to innovate to attract a younger audience.
- Lack of marketing investment in the cider market will mean that it will remain a niche product.
- Competition from other more trendy drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, will mean continued decreases in consumption in the future.
- Industry consolidation has already occurred in Switzerland. No further mergers or acquisition are expected. Only 2 major producers are left in the Swiss market, Ramseier Suisse AG and Mosterei Mhl. Together they produce 87% of all cider consumption.
- The high valuation of the Swiss Franc supported imports, which grew by 4% in 2011. Imports have been able to increase their share through increased listings at retail, website presence and at on-premise locations.
- There are no signs that the smoking ban introduced in 2010 has affected consumption volumes.
- Thurella discontinued its Rittergold brand and its Private Label products in 2010, leaving a niche for other players to exploit.
- Off-premise consumption volumes have been able to maintain current levels while on-premise consumption decreased. Premium and super premium ciders have been able to grow their off-premise volumes through internet sales on major retailers\' sites.
- It is not expected that the alcohol revision and prevention policy that will take effect in January of 2014 will largely affect cider consumption volumes. The alcohol prevention policy is aimed largely at youth drinkers, who are not the target audience of cider.
Table of Content
Section 1 Market Update
- Market Size
- Market Value
- Distribution 2011
- Current and Emerging Trends
- Imports and Exports
- Top 10 Cider Brands Volume, 2009-2011
- Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands Volume, 2009-2011
- Brand Analysis
- Private Label/Private Label Producers
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
- MOSTEREI MOHL AG
- Mosterei Mohl Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
- RAMSEIER SUISSE AG
- Ramseier Suisse Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
- Mosterei Kobelt and Co
- Feldschlosschen/Carlsberg Group
- Heineken Switzerland
- Drinks of the World
List of Table
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
- Table 1.2.1 Taxation Base
- Table 1.2.2 Historical Excise Rates of Cider
- Table 1.2.3 Legal Controls on Cider
- Table 1.2.4 Tax Burden on Cider
- Table 1.3.1 Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2010-2012
- Table 1.3.2 Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2010-2012
- Commercial Beverage Consumption per Capita Liters, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption per Capita % Share, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption per Capita Growth, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption Million Liters, 2001-2012F
- Alcoholic Beverage Consumption Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2001-2012F
- Cider Production/Trade/Consumption Growth, 2005-2012F
- Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2001-2012F
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2008-2012F.
- Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Type, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2008-2012F
- Cider All Trademarks, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Type, 2007-2011
- Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2007-2011
- Cider Trademark Owners, 2007-2011
- Cider Local Operators, 2007-2011
- Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2007-2011
- Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2008-2012F
- Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2008-2012F
List of Chart
- Chart Leading Brewers/Imports, 2011
- Market Structure
- Cider Producers/Importers
- Chart Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2011
- Packaging Trends
- Chart Distribution by Channel, 2011
- Chart Consumption by Price Segment, 2011
- Market Valuation and Pricing
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
- Distribution Trends
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.