UAE has a well-diversified and sound financial system that plays an important role in the economy. The retail banking sector is rapidly growing due in part to the country's increasing expatriate population. Product ownership rates are high, particularly for current and savings accounts. Emirati consumers retain a traditional attitude towards provider choice, favoring banks with which they have a prior relationship. Product application is still largely conducted via branches, meaning there is considerable scope for providers to encourage greater use of digital channels. In the UAE, both domestic and foreign banks have made investments in low-cost distribution channels such as internet banking and ATM networks.
- The UAE banking sector is less concentrated compared to other developed countries, with the top three providers claiming slightly over two-fifths of current accounts.
- In the UAE, 30% of account holders have switched banks in the last 12 months. The UAE has the highest switching rate in the region, and is well above the global average.
- Emirati savers are cautious, with two thirds saving to protect themselves against unforeseen events and more than half saving for retirement. Growth in Islamic banks is playing a major role, resulting in higher deposits with Islamic banks.
- The UAE mortgage market is relatively small but is growing. UAE mortgage balances outstanding totaled AED0.29tn in 2014, up from AED0.20tn in 2009.
- More than a third of UAE consumers have a personal loan, and the current growth in consumer lending is being fueled by an increase in bank competition and changing demographics as a result of a growing expatriate population.
Verdict Financial's "Retail Banking Country Snapshot: UAE" is a review of the retail banking sector in the UAE, with a particular focus on the current account, savings, mortgage, and personal loan markets. It includes both market-level data and insight from our global consumer survey.
The report also provides:
- An overview of the UAE's banking sector.
- Insight into consumer preferences in the UAE, the reasons they take out their financial products, and how this has evolved in recent years.
- Understanding around the main providers dominating the current account, savings, mortgage, and loan markets and the different factors persuading customers to choose them.
- An examination of to what extent consumers are using online and mobile channels to research, take out, and use their financial products.
Reasons To Buy
- Future proof your strategy with market sizing, forecasts, and analysis of key developments currently affecting the UAE's retail banking sector.
- Target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behaviors and attitudes, with detailed analysis from our proprietary insight.
- Learn about the impact new entrants and distribution channels will have on the market.
Table of Contents
Bank Infrastructure And Regulation
List of Table
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.