This report provides a concise overview of the Ice Cream market in Germany. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the German Ice Cream sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Older population driving the consumption of Ice Cream in Germany. Indulgence and Fun and Enjoyment are key motivators driving Ice cream sales in the country.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Indulgence influenced more than half of the Ice Cream consumption in Germany. The desire to seek out for new flavors and local tastes is driving the launch of premium quality and indulgent Ice Cream flavors.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the German Ice Cream sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across major Ice Cream categories and their packaging.
Key Features and Benefits
- Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Ice Cream sector.
- Key growth categories are highlighted by analysing the market dynamics of major Ice Cream categories.
- Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across Ice Cream categories.
- An overview of packaging trends in the Ice Cream sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Key Market Issues
- Eating habits in Germany are impacted by an aging population and a shift in consumer preferences towards nutritional and healthy eating.
- Indulgence and Fun and Enjoyment are the important trends driving the consumption of Ice Cream products in Germany. The majority of Germans seeking additional fun and enjoyment choose premium quality indulgent Ice Creams on special occasions.
- The other two important consumer trends in the Ice Cream market include Value for Money and Busy Lives. Rising disposable income and growing work and social pressures are the primary reasons driving these motivational factors, which will drive the growth of Ice Cream consumption in Germany.
- Busy lives, rising on-the-go consumption, and the demand for small portion snacking has led to the growth of the Impulse Category, which is taking share from Take-Home and Artisanal Ice Cream category.
- Private label\'s Premium and variety flavors are increasingly seen in Edeka and Rewe, indicating a shift from “me-too” products towards premiumization and direct competition with branded products.
- Germany\'s senior demographic group, the fastest rising consumer group, looks for high product quality and healthy organic products.
- Approximately 15% of Germans suffer from lactose intolerance. German Ice Cream manufacturers started offering plant-based Ice Cream products made from blue sweet-lupin seeds that are free from lactose, gluten, cholesterol, and animal fats.
- The majority of consumption by better off or moderate income population groups in Germany indicates further opportunity for Premium Ice Cream.
Table of Content
- Economic uncertainty to adversely affect consumer spending in Germany
- Germany\'s food retail market is mature and highly competitive with low profit margins
- Hypermarkets and Supermarkets will account for the largest share of sales in the German Ice Cream market
- Growing proportion of Aging population and increasing online sales will influence German Retail Industry
- Women account for higher proportion of volume share in the German Ice Cream market
- Ice Cream manufacturers should aim to promote their products among the medium and low frequency consumers
- Indulgence is the major trend driving the Germany Ice Cream consumers
- Indulgence and Fun and Enjoyment are the key motivations for Ice Cream consumption in Germany
- Premium and Seasonal Ice Cream products drive the growth, while consumers look for Cheaper alternatives
- The overall Ice Cream market is expected to grow at steady pace both in value and volume terms during the forecast period
- Artisanal Ice Cream category is expected to grow at higher rate as a result of growing Fun and Enjoyment seeking customers
- Changing life style, indulgence, and on-the-go consumption will alter the market share of Ice cream categories
- Indulgence and premiumization driving growth in Artisanal and Impulse categories
- The value of the Take-Home Ice Cream category will grow steadily
- Brands and Private Labels
- Private Label have a significant presence in the overall Ice Cream market with majority share in the Take-Home Ice Cream category
- Private label have registered higher category growth in Take-Home Ice Cream during the forecast period
- Magnum is the leading Impulse Ice Cream brand, while Bofrost account for highest share in the Take-Home category
- Packaging Insight
- Growing demand of Artisanal and Impulse Ice Cream will drive the growth for Flexible Film Packs
- Rising consumption of Ice Cream will drive changes in packaging demand by 2017
- Future Outlook
- German Ice Cream market witness growing demand of innovative and single-serve ice cream products
Data Appendix and Summary Methodology
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.