This report provides a concise overview of the Bakery & Cereals market in the Germany. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Germanys Bakery & Cereals sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Increased public awareness of healthy diets and nutrition is visible in consumers purchases, and is driving the demand for health and wellness products. Private labels are rapidly gaining market share, as improved quality at competitive prices is encouraging consumers to switch over.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The German Bakery & Cereals market is complex, encompassing a variety of needs and tastes. The desire to Indulge is the key motivation driving the consumption. This page examines the influence of two of the leading trends in the Bakery & Cereals sector in Germany.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insights and market data, to provide a comprehensive brief of the Germany Bakery & Cereals sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across 11 Bakery & Cereal categories and their packaging.
Key Features and Benefits
- Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Bakery & Cereals sector.
- Key growth categories are highlighted by analysing the market dynamics of 11 Bakery & Cereal categories.
- Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across Bakery & Cereals categories.
- An overview of packaging trends in the Germanys Bakery & Cereals sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Key Market Issues
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the dominant retail channel for Bakery & Cereals distribution. Most baked goods and staple foods are sold through Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, and the market share of leading retailers is rising, driven by their private label options.
- Older Consumers are the heaviest consumers of Bakery products. Marketers need to target this category with healthier products.
- The desire to treat oneself is a key motivator of consumption in the German Bakery & Cereals sector followed by need for Better Value for Money and Busy Lives.
- The German Bakery & Cereals market is mature and growing at a steady rate. However, the growth rate varies across different categories. Energy Bars will continue to be the fastest growing category by value, followed by the Bread & Rolls category which is already the largest category in the German Bakery & Cereals market.
- Private labels are performing well in Germany, and penetration is relatively high in the German Bakery & Cereals sector at 22.1% of the overall market. Private label penetration varies depending on the product category in the Bakery & Cereals sector: penetration is low in categories such as Breakfast Cereals and Bread & Rolls, due to aggressive penetration by Artisanal manufacturers and the important role played by brand image in these categories
- In recent years the prices of commodities, such as wheat and corn which are used as a raw material for production of bakery products, has risen significantly. This has affected the profit margins of manufacturers and resulted in price hikes.
- Consumers selected 13.2% of Bakery & Cereal products because they helped them with their busy lives. Marketers are increasingly seeing busy life as an opportunity to fill the gap with on-the-go products
- With a rapidly aging population, marketers face the challenge of targeting middle-aged consumers and their specific nutritional needs and consumption habits, which are increasingly oriented to healthy lifestyles.
- Consumers tend to associate organic production methods with quality. Opportunities exist for organic products, such as fiber enriched cookies and wholegrain baked goods.
- The growing consumption of Bakery & Cereals in Germany means that absolute demand for the majority of pack materials and types will increase between 2012 and 2017
Table of Content
- Economic uncertainty to adversely affect consumer spending in Germany
- Germany\'s food retail market is highly competitive, saturated and features low prices and narrow profit margins
- Hypermarkets and Supermarkets are the most preferred channel for purchase of Bakery and Cereals in Germany
- High share of single-person households in Germany is adding momentum to Foodservices sector
- Female consumers have a little higher consumption share of Bakery and Cereals products
- The frequency of consumption for Bakery and Cereals is highest amongst Older consumers in Germany
- Indulgence is the most influential factor for Germans in their Bakery and Cereals purchases
- Busy Lives and Individual needs and wants are the other major trends in the German Bakery and Cereals market
- Germany\'s Bakery and Cereals sector is a matured market with limited growth opportunities
- Bread and Rolls and Cakes, Pastries and Sweet Pies are driving growth in the Bakery and Cereals sector in Germany
- Bread and Rolls to gain market share during 2012-2017
- Bakery and Cereal Category Dynamics and Opportunities
Brands and Private Labels
- Private Label penetration is highest in the Morning Goods category
- Private Label Bread and Rolls is the fastest growing category in local currency value
- Key brands by category
- Bakery products are driving demand for Flexible Packaging Bags and Sachets
- Flexible packaging to increase its share as the preferred packaging material for Bakery and Cereals sector
Future outlook key trends in Germany\'s Bakery and Cereals sector
- Increasing input and import costs will impact prices and profitability
- Consumption of on-the-go products will grow
- Age-Specific Needs are driving consumer attention
- Demand for organic and natural Bakery Products will grow
Data Appendix and Summary Methodology
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.