This report provides a concise overview of the Bakery & Cereals market in China. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will drive evolution, and the leading players companies within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Chinese Bakery & Cereals sector allows new entrants and established players companies to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends which that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Steady economic growth across the last decade period 2000-2010 has resulted in rise in the disposable income, thus increasing the purchasing power of the consumer. Chinese GDP per capita has risen steadily across the years while population growth has stabilized. However an increase in consumption is a positive factor resulting due to higher disposable income.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
As the Chinese consumers grow better off, they are becoming more selective and are more likely to seek out quality Bakery products. Products from large supermarkets and multi-national Bakery chains are increasingly popular among consumers with the rise in Bread consumption from 0.6 Kg per capita in 2007 to 0.9 Kg in 2012. Also, stricter food laws imposed by the government regarding the traceability of ingredients following a number of food scares has increased the demand for Quality.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The report provides the latest, detailed data on dynamics in the Chinese Bakery & Cereals market, providing marketers with the essential data to understand their own, and their competitors, position in the market and the information to accurately identify where to compete in the future.
Key Features and Benefits
- Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Bakery & Cereals sector.
- Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of three Bakery & Cereals categories: Baking Ingredients, Baking Mixes, Bread and Rolls, Breakfast Cereals, Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies, Cereal Bars, Cookies (Sweet Biscuits), Dough Products, Energy Bars, Morning Goods, Savoury Biscuits.
- Market shares are provided for the leading brands across the Baking Ingredients, Baking Mixes, Bread and Rolls, Breakfast Cereals, Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies, Cereal Bars, Cookies (Sweet Biscuits), Dough Products, Energy Bars, Morning Goods, Savory Biscuits categories.
- An overview of packaging trends in the Chinese Bakery & Cereals sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
- Key future trends are highlighted and analysed in order to identify opportunities and threats in the Bakery & Cereals sector.
Key Market Issues
- As the Chinese consumers grow better off, they are becoming more selective and are more likely to seek out quality Bakery products. Products from large supermarkets and multi-national Bakery chains are increasingly popular among consumers with the rise in Bread consumption from 0.6 Kg per capita in 2007 to 0.9 Kg in 2012. Also, stricter food laws imposed by the government regarding the traceability of ingredients following a number of food scares has increased the demand for Quality.
- Chinese consumers are seeking products that meet specific requirements they see as being caused by their life stage, such as young single consumers and young couples looking for smaller pack sizes, or consumers with older children looking for large family packs of marshmallow cakes they can share as a family.
- Bakeries have become a major sales channel, especially for Bread & Rolls, Cakes & Pastries, and Morning Goods in China, owing to their greater proximity to consumers, and delivering quality products that are fresh and varied. However, consumers still prefer Hypermarket & Supermarkets for Cereals and Cookies.
- Increasingly busy lifestyles in urban centers have reduced the time available to prepare food, prompting many consumers across the region to adopt pastries and cakes as snacks.
- According to Trimetric, the total population of China has reached 1.34 billion by 2012, with 631 million loving in urban areas. Increased westernized lifestyles among these urban consumers in recent years has seen a growing popularity for Cakes & Pastries as traditional dessert alternatives.
- In 2012, 17% of Bakery & Cereal consumption by value was motivated by the desire to have new or novel experiences, and this behavior is expected to become more widespread.
- With the rapid aging of Chinas population, marketers face the challenge of targeting middle-aged consumers and their specific nutritional needs and consumption habits, who are increasingly oriented to western food habits and lifestyles.
- Young and urban-based consumers will continue to seek out fun products and those that help them relax, leading to the growth of Bakery products like Cakes & Pastries in the country.
- Growing consumption of Bakery & Cereals products in China will improve demand for all pack materials and types between 2012 and 2017. However, demand for Flexible Packaging and Paper & Board packaging will rise particularly quickly as a result of their growing usage across all Bakery & Cereals products.
Table of Content
- Better living standards have shifted people\'s focus from satisfying basic needs to pursuing ahigher quality of life
- Food and Grocery sales are concentrated in national chains
- Food and Drinks Specialist will account for the largest share of sales in the Chinese Bakery and Cereals market owing to popularity of Bakeries
- Increasingly urban and busy consumers are looking for convenience
- Men form majority of Bakery and Cereals consumption in China in terms of volume
- Chinese consumers can be classified as \'Heavy Consumption\' Consumers
- Chinese Consumers purchase of Bakery and Cereals is primarily influenced by Quality Seeking trend, which drives them to purchase quality Bakery and cereals products
- Better Quality and Changing Lifestages drive consumption in the Chinese Bakery and Cereals sector
- Better Value for Money and Busy Lives key to growth in China Bakery and Cereals
- The Chinese Bakery and Cereals market will register strong growth driven by its booming and a stable economy
- Cakes, Pastries and Sweet Pies drive the Bakery and Cereals market in China
- The market share of Cakes, Pastries and Sweet Pies will increase when compared to Bread and Rolls and Cookies ( Sweet Biscuits)
- Convenience is key to growth in Baking Mixes and Baking Ingredients
- Quality seeking products are driving the growth of Bread and Rolls and Breakfast Cereals in China
Brands and Private Labels
- Chinese consumers continue to buy branded Bakery and Cereals products with the scare of food safety reasons.
- Private Label intensifies competition in low price Bakery and Cereals segments
- Key brands by category.
- Growing demand for Cakes, Pasties and Savoury Biscuits will drive the growth for Flexible Packaging Bags / Sachets
- Rising consumption of Savoury Biscuits and Cakes and Pastries will drive changes in packaging demand by 2017
Future outlook key trends in China\'s Bakery and Cereals sector
- Mass Urbanization will increase Bakery and Cereal consumption
- Chinese consumers will seek out new experiences
- Age-Specific Needs driving consumer attention
- Consumers look to relax and enjoy
Data Appendix and Summary Methodology
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.