GlobalData, the industry analysis specialist’s new report, “Macular Edema Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2017” is an essential source of information and analysis on the global macular edema therapeutics market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the global macular edema therapeutics market. The report also provides insight on the competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to bring significant shift in the market positioning of the existing market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insight on the pipeline products within the global macular edema therapeutics market.
This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in house analysis by GlobalData’s team of industry experts.
GlobalData valued the global macular edema therapeutics market at $3.3 billion in 2009. It is expected to grow to $6.9 billion with a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 9.5% by 2017. This growth is primarily attributed to the increase in the prevalence and incidence rates of diabetes across the world. Macular edema is a slowly progressing disease and diabetes is cited as the main cause. The growth in the market will be supported and driven by the increased use of the newly approved drugs.
GlobalData found that current competition in the macular edema market is strong, particularly due to the increased competition among the off-label products, which are the most commonly used treatments by ophthalmologists, and between the newly approved drugs. There are other treatment options available such as thermal lasers, photocoagulation therapy and surgical options such as vitrectomy, which are believed to offer a better safety profile among patients. Despite these, the market for macular edema therapeutics is dominated by off-label products and partly by newly approved products. Some of the products which were being used as off-label indications are currently undergoing clinical studies to validate their safety and efficacy profiles and to gain approval by the regulatory authorities for prescription usage. The market is therefore competitive and is expected to witness a price war in the coming years
The scope of the report includes:
- Annualized global macular edema therapeutics market revenues data from 2001 to 2009, forecast forward for 8 years to 2017.
- Geographies covered in this report include the US, the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and Japan.
- Pipeline analysis data providing a split across different phases, mechanism of action being developed and emerging trends. The pipeline is primarily dominated by anti-VEGF antibodies, plasma kallikrein-kinin inhibitor and corticosteroids, which combined hold a share of 40% of the total pipeline.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global macular edema therapeutics market. Key future market players covered are pSivida, Roche/Genentech, Pfizer and iCo Therapeutics.
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs and implications for future market associated with macular edema therapeutics market.
Reasons to buy
The report will enhance your decision making capability in a more rapid and time sensitive manner. It will allow you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through review of pipeline products and technologies and by identifying companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global macular edema therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments and companies likely to impact the global macular edema therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolio and create effective counter-strategies to gain competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
- What’s the next big thing in the global macular edema therapeutics market landscape? - Identify, understand and capitalize.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 4
1.2 List of Figures 4
2 Macular Edema: Introduction 5
2.1 GlobalData Pipeline Report Guidance 5
3 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market: Market Characterization 6
3.1 Overview 6
3.2 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market Size 6
3.3 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market Forecast and CAGR 7
3.4 Drivers and Barriers for the Macular Edema Therapeutics Market 8
3.4.2 Barriers for the Macular Edema Therapeutics Market 9
4 Opportunity and Unmet Need 10
4.1 Key Takeaway 11
5 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market: Competitive Assessment 12
5.1 Overview 12
5.2 Strategic Competitor Assessment 12
5.3 Product Profile for the Major Marketed Products in the Macular Edema Therapeutics Market 13
5.3.1 Lucentis (ranibizumab) 13
5.3.2 Ozurdex (dexamethasone) 14
5.4 Key Takeaway 15
6 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market: Pipeline Assessment 17
6.1 Overview 17
6.2 Strategic Pipeline Assessment 17
6.2.1 Technology Trends Analytic Framework 17
6.3 Macular Edema Therapeutics Promising Drugs under Clinical Development 18
6.4 Drugs Profile under Clinical Development 19
6.4.1 Iluvien (fluocinolone acetonide) 19
6.4.2 Macugen (pegaptanib sodium) 20
6.4.3 iCo-007 20
6.4.4 Nevanac (nepafenac) 21
6.5 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market Pipeline by Mechanism of Action 22
6.6 Macular Edema Pipeline Pipeline by Clinical Phases of Development 23
6.6.1 Macular Edema Therapeutics Regulatory and Phase III Clinical Pipeline 23
6.6.2 Macular Edema Therapeutics Phase II Clinical Pipeline 24
6.6.3 Macular Edema Therapeutics Preclinical Pipeline 24
6.7 Key Takeaway 24
7 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market: Implications for Future Market Competition 25
8 Macular Edema Therapeutics: Future Players in the Macular Edema Therapeutics Market 26
8.1 Introduction 26
8.2 pSivida Corp 26
8.2.1 Overview 26
8.2.2 Business Description 27
8.2.3 Ophthalmology Portfolio 27
8.2.4 Macular Edema Product Portfolio 27
8.3 Roche/Genentech 28
8.3.1 Overview 28
8.3.2 Business Description 28
8.3.3 Ophthalmology Portfolio 29
8.3.4 Macular Edema Product Portfolio 29
8.4 iCo Therapeutics 30
8.4.1 Overview 30
8.4.2 Macular Edema Portfolio 30
8.4.3 Macular Edema Product Portfolio 30
8.5 Pfizer 31
8.5.1 Company Overview 31
8.5.2 Business Description 31
8.5.3 Macular Edema Disease Portfolio 32
8.5.4 Macular Edema Product Portfolio 32
9 Macular Edema Therapeutics Market: Appendix 33
9.1 Definitions 33
9.2 Abbreviations 33
9.3 Research Methodology 34
9.3.1 Coverage 34
9.3.2 Secondary Research 34
9.3.3 Forecasting 35
9.3.4 Primary Research 37
9.3.5 Expert Panel Validation 38
9.4 Contact Us 38
9.5 Disclaimer 38
9.6 Sources 38
List of Table
Table 1: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Global, Market Revenue ($m), 20012009 7
Table 2: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Global, Revenue Forecasts ($m), 20092017 8
Table 3: Macular Edema Therapeutics Market, Global, Strategic Competitor Assessment of Major Marketed Products, 2010 12
Table 4: Clinical Trial Results for Lucentis in Macular Edema Patients. 14
Table 5: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Global, Majorly Marketed Products Comparison, 2010 15
Table 6: Macular Edema Therapeutics Market, Global, Most Promising Drugs Under Clinical Development, 2010 18
Table 7: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Global, Regulatory and Phase III Pipeline, 2010 23
Table 8: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Phase II Pipeline, 2010 24
Table 9: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Preclinical Pipeline, 2010 24
Table 10: pSivida Corp Marketed Products, 2010 27
Table 11: pSivida Corp Macular Edema Drugs Pipeline, 2010 27
Table 12: Roche/Genentech Marketed Products, 2010 29
Table 13: Roche/Genentech Macular Edema Drugs Pipeline, 2010 29
Table 14: Clinical Trial Results for Lucentis in Macular Edema Patients 30
Table 15: iCo Therapeutics Macular Edema Drugs Pipeline, 2010 30
Table 16: Pfizer Marketed Products, 2010 32
Table 17: Pfizer Macular Edema Drugs Pipeline, 2010 32
List of Chart
Figure 1: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Global, Market Revenue ($m), 20012009 7
Figure 2: Macular Edema Therapeutics, Global, Revenue Forecasts ($m), 20092017 8
Figure 3: Macular Edema Therapeutics Market, Global, Opportunity and Unmet Need, 2010 10
Figure 4: Technology Trends Analytic Framework of Macular Edema Therapeutics Pipeline, 2010 17
Figure 5: Technology Trends Analytic Framework of Macular Edema Therapeutics Pipeline - Description, 2010 18
Figure 6: Macular Edema Therapeutics Clinical Pipeline by Mechanism of Action, 2010 22
Figure 7: Macular Edema Therapeutics Market, Pipeline by Phase of Clinical Development (%), 2010 23
Figure 8: Macular Edema Therapeutics Implications for Future Market Competition, 2010 25
Figure 9: Macular Edema Therapeutics Market, Global, Clinical Pipeline by Company, 2010 26
Figure 10: GlobalData Market Forecasting Model 37
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.