ICT Procurement Trends in Manufacturing - Enterprise ICT Investment Plans
Published Date » 2013-12-18
No. Of Pages » 25
This report presents the findings from a survey of 166 manufacturers regarding their approach to Information and Communications Technology (ICT) procurement. The survey investigates the way that manufacturers like to purchase technology, as well as the major IT and business objectives influencing their IT investment strategies.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
To highlight the criteria on which manufacturers select their ICT providers as well as the
roles which have influence while making ICT purchasing decisions.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Manufacturers favour deploying technologies on-site as opposed to hosting. However, preference towards hosted services is slowly gaining traction.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Manufacturers are slowly increasing the adoption of hosted model as they look to improve their scalability and reduce costs.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
Kable Global ICT Intelligence has invested significant resources in order to interview CIOs and IT managers about their IT Procurement. Very few IT analyst houses will have interviewed 160+ ICT decision makers in the manufacturing industry in H2 2012.
Key Features and Benefits
- Provides insights into manufacturers' preferred buying approaches.
- Comprehend the business objectives that manufacturers are looking to achieve through their IT investment strategy.
- Appreciate the IT objectives that manufacturers are looking to achieve through their IT investment strategy.
- Understand the factors that are influencing manufacturers' decision to select an ICT provider.
- Understand which organisational roles influence ICT purchasing decisions and signing off budgets.
Key Market Issues
- The survey reveals that 56% of manufacturers prefer to procure technologies directly from suppliers, followed by through local resellers and national resellers. Kable believes that local resellers are preferred more than national resellers in large part due to their ease of availability, ability to provide timely support services, and competitive pricing.
- In order to respond to global competitive challenges, manufacturers need to devise effective IT strategies. The survey shows that the IT objectives of 'better demonstrate the value of IT to the business' and 'use IT to support revenue growth' are the most important factors influencing manufacturers' IT investment strategies, with average ratings of X on a scale of 1 to 4.
- Due to the current economic uncertainty, manufacturers have to deal with constrained budgets, which is forcing the need for an optimum utilisation of resources. As a consequence, raising efficiency is considered to be an important business objective amongst manufacturers.
- According to Kable's survey, manufacturers consider price to be the most important criteria when choosing an ICT provider.
- The survey shows that a large proportion of manufacturers believe that their ICT infrastructure is somewhat complex, with several enterprise applications, hardware manufacturers, operating systems, and communications technologies.
- According to Kable's survey, 41% of manufacturers are planning to raise their ICT investments in 2013, which is an increase of 7% compared to 2012.
- Kable's survey shows that 80% of manufacturers prefer deploying enterprise applications on-site followed by security and content management, as these technologies handle confidential data, and manufacturers want full control over such systems and solutions.
- Increasing revenues and customer satisfaction also play a key role, as manufacturers are keen to increase their organic growth and recognise the value of consumer recognition for their products, since it will eventually help to increase their sales lines.
- According to Kable's survey, manufacturers consider leading-edge technology to be the most important criteria when choosing an ICT provider with an average rating of X on a scale of 1 to 4.
- Manufacturers rate the CIO/IT department and the CEO as the most influential authorities when making ICT purchasing decisions, with both receiving the highest average rating of X on a scale of 1 to 4.
Table of Content
1 Enterprise ICT investment trends
1.2 Survey demographics
1.3 ICT budget changes
1.4 ICT investment priorities
2 ICT procurement trends
2.2 Purchasing channels
2.3 Business objectives influencing IT investment strategy
2.4 IT objectives influencing IT investment strategy
2.5 ICT provider selection
2.7 ICT infrastructure environment complexity
3.1 Manufacturers' IT investment strategies are mainly focussed on improving efficiency and aligning IT with their overall business goals
4.2 Further reading
4.3 Contact the authors
List of Tables
Table 1: Manufacturing - enterprise ICT survey geographic breakdown 5
Table 2: Manufacturing - enterprise ICT survey breakdown by size band (number of employees) 6
Table 3: Recent and expected ICT budget changes among manufacturers 7
Table 4: Current and future investment priorities of manufacturers across core technologies 10
Table 5: Manufacturers' preferred approach to buying technologies 13
Table 6: Business objectives which influence manufacturers' IT investment strategy 14
Table 7: IT objectives which influence manufacturers' IT investment strategy 16
Table 8: Factors influencing manufacturers' decision to choose an ICT provider 17
Table 9: Influence of organizational roles in making ICT purchasing decisions and signing off budgets 20
Table 10: Complexity of the ICT infrastructure within manufacturers 21
List of Figures
Figure 1: Manufacturing - enterprise ICT survey geographic breakdown 4
Figure 2: Manufacturing - enterprise ICT survey breakdown by size band (number of employees) 6
Figure 3: Recent and expected ICT budget changes among manufacturers 7
Figure 4: Current and future investment priorities of manufacturers across core technologies 9
Figure 5: Manufacturers' preferred approach to buying technologies 12
Figure 6: Business objectives which influence manufacturers' IT investment strategy 14
Figure 7: IT objectives which influence manufacturers' IT investment strategy 15
Figure 8: Factors influencing manufacturers' decision to choose an ICT provider 17
Figure 9: Influence of organizational roles in making ICT purchasing decisions and signing off budgets 19
Figure 10: Complexity of the ICT infrastructure within manufacturers 21
Heterogeneous Networks (HetNets) Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2013 - 2019
By - Transparency Market Research
A heterogeneous network (HetNet) is one which connects computers and other devices with different operating systems or protocols. For instance, the network (LAN) that connects Microsoft Windows and Linux based computers with Apple Macintosh computers is HetNet. Heterogeneous network is a cost effective way of handling the increasing demand for mobile data. Increase in the costs associated with mobile data handling created the need for cost effective methods for data handling. The traditional methods for resolving issues related to coverage and capacity require operators for installing...
Methyl Isobutyl Ketone (MIBK) Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2012 - 2018
By - Transparency Market Research
Methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK) is a colorless organic compound naturally occurring in grapes, orange, and vinegar. MIBK can dissolve in water, alcohol, ether and benzene. There are two main methods of producing MIBK. One is through acetone condensation, which gives diacetone alcohol that dehydrates to give mesityl oxide, which is then hydrogenated to MIBK. MIBK is also produced from isopropanol, with diisobutyl ketone (DIBK) and acetone as co-products. The major application of this ketone is in the manufacture of lube oil additives, followed by its use in the extraction process of...
Medical Nutrition Market - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2013 - 2019
By - Transparency Market Research
Earlier medical nutrition solutions were meant for only to address malnutrition, but continued advancements in healthcare has led to the use of these medicated foods to complement drugs to treat various diseases such as diabetes, obesity, renal failure, pediatric malnutrition, sarcopenia and cancer. These medicated nutritional products are segmented into pediatric nutrition, elderly nutrition, sports nutrition and parenteral nutrition. Some of the commercially available medical nutrition products are Elecare for kids and EAS for athletes marketed by Abbott Nutrition and...
We will be happy to help you find what you need.
Please call us or write us:
Please call us or write us:
866-997-4948 (Us-Canada Toll Free)
Select License type:
- Chinese Home Appliance Industry and Market, February 2014
- Worldwide Desktop PC Forecast, 2014 - 2018
- Worldwide Tablet TFT-LCD Panel Industry, 1Q 2014
- Worldwide Motherboard Forecast, 2014 - 2018
- Global & USA Cancer Biomaker Market to 2018 (Identification, Technologies, Market Analysis, Competitor Profiles, Companion Diagnostic Co-Development, Business Strategies, Industry Trends, and Pipeline Analysis)
- The US Hybrid Vehicles Market Outlook to 2018 - Government Strategy and Cost Effective Hybrids to Escalate Demand
- Philippines Express Delivery and Logistics Market Outlook to 2017 - Maturing Market Sustained by Surging E-Commerce Activity
- France Car Rental Industry Analysis to 2017 - Impelled by Rising Leisure Travel
- India Used Car Industry Outlook to 2018 - Shifting Focus of Key Automakers on Used Car Business
- Europe Car Rental Industry Analysis to 2017 - Latvia, Belgium and Ukraine to Stimulate the Market Growth
Scientists Identify Cure for Dengue
Apr 18, 2014
In a breakthrough discovery that can change the way dengue is treated, scientists have identified a drug target for the deadly dengue viruses. This discovery may help pave the way for discovery of vaccines that can cure this condition that affects nearly 390 million people throughout the world each year. Scientists have used a new technique for this discovery to show that a region...
India is Facing a Cancer Crisis
Apr 15, 2014
India is currently facing a cancer crisis – reports a recent research carried out at the King’s college London, in collaboration with the Tata Memorial Cancer Centre, Mumbai. The reasons estimated for this crisis comprise of increasing rates of smoking, unequal access to proper treatment and belated diagnosis. Every year, India witnesses around one...
Microparticle Tags to Check Counterfeit Goods Invented
Apr 14, 2014
Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have invented a new set of microparticles that can easily be read by smartphones and establish the authenticity of currency, electronic items and luxury goods. This strategy is among those countless measures taken by big brands and companies to label their legitimate products in order to stop illegal copies of the...
USFDA Approves Lupins Generic Diabetic Drug
Apr 10, 2014
The United States Food and Drugs Administration (USFDA) has finally approved Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc (LPI), the American subsidiary of Indian drug manufacturers Lupin Ltd, to sell Pioglitazone Tablets in the U.S market. The approval has been granted first for fiscal 2015. Pioglitazone is a generic medicine used for managing diabetes and is a version of Actos tablets...
Infrared Sensors can Soon Be Used to Develop Night-Vision Lenses - A New Discovery Confirms
Apr 8, 2014
People who fear the dark may soon have a reason to rejoice – an infrared sensor that can eventually be used for mechanizing night-vision lenses has been developed. This effectively means that one can also see through dark with the help of these lenses. This technology seems possible all due to graphene, a layer of tightly packed carbon atoms that has allowed the creation of...