A detailed market research report on the Columbia beer industry. Researched and published by Canadean..
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This report comprises high level market research data on the Columbia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on beer market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
2011 was one of the best years for the Colombian economy with remarkable growth and higher levels of foreign investments, making Colombia one of the most attractive countries in the region. The increase in consumer confidence and the higher levels of purchasing power resulted in a higher expenditure overall.What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
A key and somewhat surprising factor that favoured the consumption of beer was the FIFA Under-20 Football World Cup, which took place in Colombia in mid-2011. This event generated a significant peak in sales, indeed the volumes were similar to the peak sales of beer usually observed in December.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Columbia Beer Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Beer market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors. All data has been researched, brand upwards, by an experienced 'on-the-ground' industry analyst who conducts face-to-face interviews with key producers, leading companies in allied industries, distributors and retailers.Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Columbia Beer industry. Data includes volumes from 2007 to 2011 plus forecasts for 2012, enabling historical and current trend analysis.
- This report provides readers with in-depth market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount, alcoholic strength, local segmentation, beer type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and contains brewer profiles for ten major brewers.
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs non-refillable, multi-serve vs single serve. Market valuation data and pricing data, including beer consumption by price segment/distribution channel and selected consumer beer prices are also included.
- The leading brewer did not increase the prices for most of its products in order to encourage demand by attracting consumers via affordable prices.
- Colombia hosted the FIFA Under-20 Football World Cup in mid-2011. This event generated a significant volume of beer sales, similar to the peak seen in December.
- The good state of the economy resulted in higher levels of expenditure and consumer confidence.
- Artisanal beer showed a higher growth than expected as beer consumers are becoming more demanding and opting for new experiences and flavours. New brands are consolidating in the market. The artisanal brewers have developed quickly and have not only succeeded in reaching the supermarket and hypermarket shelves, but they have also expanded rapidly by reaching new points of sale and distributing into new geographical areas.
- The largest brewer introduced new brands in late 2010 and 2011. A special edition was so well received that it became part of the brewer's regular portfolio. These brands have been introduced in order to generate a 'beer culture' in the country, and also to offer new products and varieties.
- The premium and superpremium segments achieved the highest growth rates. One of the main drivers behind the growth was the higher consumption of imported beers. Also the artisanal beer segment is generating significant incremental volume sales for the superpremium segment.
- 2012 is expected to be very positive for the beer industry, not only are the macroeconomics of the country favouring the demand for beer, but also the leading companies are expected to encourage consumption by offering new products.
- During 2011, the sales of imported beer grew significantly. This segment has been favoured by the increasing number of bars and pubs which offer a wide range of imported brands. Also the wider and improved availability of imported beer not only in off-premise but also in on-premise channels has favoured its consumption.
- During 2011, mid-alcohol content beers, mainly 4.5% Abv, continued to absorb most of the sales. Strong beers had a negligible presence, only some imported brands and some artisanal brewers offer stronger beers, but sales are slowly growing. Light beers showed a good performance.
- During 2011, SABMiller was the undisputed market leader with over 99% of the market. This means that the beer industry in Colombia is a monopoly. This situation is not expected to change in the short term, however, small brewers are gaining ground, particularly in the superpremium segment.
Table of Content
The Consumer Palate
All Commercial Beverages
Legislation and Taxation
Market Parameter Tables
Population Size and Growth 1983-2014F
Economic Indicators 2003-2013F
Legislation and Taxation Tables
Table 1.5.1 - Taxation Base
Table 1.5.2 - Historical Excise Rates of Beer
Table 1.5.3 - Legal Controls on Beer
Table 1.5.4 - Tax Burden on Beer @ 5% Abv, 2011
Market Background Briefing
Beer Definitions by Type - Local Segmentation
Beer Definitions by Type - Standard Price Segmentation
Beer Definitions by Type - Alcoholic Strength
Beer Definitions by Type - Beer Type
Beer Definitions by Type - Local, National and International
Beer Key Facts
Current and Emerging Trends
Imports and Exports
Top 10 Beer Brands - Volume, 2009-2011
Top 10 International Premium and Superpremium Beer Brands - Volume, 2009-2011
Private Label/Private Label Producers
New Products Activity
Chart - Leading Brewers/Importers, 2011
Chart - Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2011
Chart - Distribution by Channel, 2011
Chart - Consumption by Price Segment, 2011
Market Valuation and Pricing
Beer Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
Distribution and Pricing Tables
Table 3.4.1 - Outlet Universe For Beer - Number/% Share, 2007-2011
Table 3.7 - Leading Retail Groups for Beer, 2011
Table 3.8 - Leading Importers and Distributors, 2011
Table 3.9 - Trade Margin Build-Up Model
Table 3.10.1 - Selected Consumer Beer Prices: Off-Premise, 2010-2012
Table 3.10.2 - Selected Consumer Beer Prices: On-Premise, 2010-2012
Beer Data Tables
Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Litres, 2001-2012F
Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2001-2012F
Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Litres, 2001-2012F
Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Litres of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2001-2012F
Beer Production/Trade/Consumption, 2001-2012F
Beer Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2001-2012F
Consumption of FABs and Cider, 1999-2012F
Beer Foreign Trade By Country (Imports), 2008-2012F
Beer Foreign Trade By Country (Exports), 2008-2012F
Beer Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
Beer Consumption by Local Definition, 2008-2012F
2 Section 3 - Market Update
Beer Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2008-2012F
Beer Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012F
Beer Consumption by Type, 2008-2012F
Beer Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2008-2012F
Beer All Trademarks, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Local Definition, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Type, 2007-2011
Beer Imported Brands by Origin, 2007-2011
Beer Trademark Owners, 2007-2011
Beer Local Operators, 2007-2011
Beer Leading Brewers/Importers, 2007-2011
Beer Consumption by Pack Mix: Refillability/Type/Pack/Size, 2008-2012F
Beer Distribution: On vs Off Premise, 2008-2012F
Bavaria SA Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
BOGOTA BEER COMPANY