A detailed market research report on the Chile beer industry. Researched and published by Canadean.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This report comprises high level market research data on the Chile beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers the total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on beer market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing. What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Although strongly dependant on copper prices, Chile has managed to develop a strong financial and service sector, along with the strong government institutions that safeguard them. Imports continue to thrive after an important growth in 2010, due to the earthquake that shook Chile in February of that year, impacting local production capacity.What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
There is a growing tendency in Chile for the consumer to become more sophisticated, searching for a distinct flavour. Thanks to widespread commercial agreements that the country has signed, consumer goods find it easy to enter the Chilean market due to the 'light-touch' commercial regulations put in place by the Chilean government.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Chile Beer Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Beer market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors. All data has been researched, brand upwards, by an experienced 'on-the-ground' industry analyst who conducts face-to-face interviews with key producers, leading companies in allied industries, distributors and retailers.
Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Chile Beer industry. Data includes volumes from 2007 to 2011, plus forecasts for 2012, enabling historical and current trend analysis.
- This report provides readers with in-depth market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount, alcoholic strength, local segmentation, and beer type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of the industry structure, reports on company volumes and contains brewer profiles for ten major brewers.
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs non-refillable, and multi-serve vs single serve. Market valuation data and pricing data, including beer consumption by price segment/distribution channel and selected consumer beer prices, are also included.
- The category experienced a very good year in 2011 and managed to grow by more than 4%, fuelled by positive economic development in Chile.
- CCU continues to be the clear leader in the category, accounting for more than 80% of the total consumption with its core brands Cristal and Escudo.
- The Chilean beer market is heavily focused on lager, a characteristic not expected to change any time soon. This can be partly attributed to the two main breweries, CCU and Cervecera Chile, flooding the market with lager due to their superiority in terms of distribution.
- Specialty and low-alcohol beers have a niche status in Chile, representing negligible volume and fuelled principally by imported products.
- Consumers have become more demanding in terms of quality, which influenced the positioning of international and local brands that possess a more complex taste; these products are now aimed at educated consumers.
- Imports continue to thrive after an important growth in 2010, due to the earthquake that shook Chile in February of that year, impacting local production capacity.
- Beer imports continue to grow and are not expected to stop.
- Premium and Superpremium brands continue to grow year after year, which can be explained by the continuous sophistication of local consumers.
- For the upcoming year Canadean expects the category to grow by an estimated 5%.
- Premium and superpremium beers such as Heineken and Corona will continue to outgrow the market, benefiting from the good economic performance that the country is currently seeing.
Table of Content
The Consumer Palate
All Commercial Beverages
Legislation and Taxation
Market Parameter Tables
Population Size and Growth 1983-2014F
Economic Indicators 2003-2013F
Legislation and Taxation Tables
Table 1.5.1 - Taxation Base
Table 1.5.3 - Legal Controls on Beer
Table 1.5.4 - Tax Burden on Beer @ 5% Abv. 2011
Market Background Briefing
Beer Definitions by Type - Local Segmentation
Beer Definitions by Type - Standard Price Segmentation
Beer Definitions by Type - Alcoholic Strength
Beer Definitions by Type - Beer Type
Beer Definitions by Type - Local, National and International
Beer Key Facts
Current and Emerging Trends
Imports and Exports
Top 10 Beer Brands - Volume, 2009-2011
Top 10 International Premium and Superpremium Beer Brands - Volume, 2009-2011
Licensed Brand Owners and Licensees
Private Label/Private Label Producers
New Products Activity
Chart - Leading Brewers/Importers, 2011
Chart - Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2011
Chart - Distribution by Channel, 2011
Chart - Consumption by Price Segment, 2011
Market Valuation and Pricing
Beer Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
Distribution and Pricing Tables
Table 3.4.1 - Outlet Universe For Beer - Number/% Share, 2007-2011
Table 3.5.1 - Leading Retail Groups For Beer - Number/% Share, 2007-2011
Table 3.8 - Leading Importers and Distributors, 2011
Table 3.9 - Trade Margin Build-Up Model
Table 3.10.1 - Selected Consumer Beer Prices: Off-Premise, 2010-2012
Table 3.10.2 - Selected Consumer Beer Prices: On-Premise, 2010-2012
Beer Data Tables
Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Litres, 2001-2012F
Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2001-2012F
Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Growth, 2001-2011
Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Litres, 2001-2012F
Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Litres of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2001-2012F
Beer Production/Trade/Consumption, 2001-2012F
Beer Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2001-2012F
Consumption of FABs and Cider, 1999-2012F
Beer Foreign Trade By Country (Imports), 2008-2012F
Beer Foreign Trade By Country (Exports), 2008-2012F
Beer Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
Beer Consumption by Local Definition, 2008-2012F
Beer Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2008-2012F
Beer Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012F
Beer Consumption by Type, 2008-2012F
Beer Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2008-2012F
Beer All Trademarks, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Local Definition, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2007-2011
Beer Brands by Type, 2007-2011
Beer Imported Brands by Origin, 2007-2011
Beer Licensed Brands, 2007-2011
Beer Trademark Owners, 2007-2011
Beer Local Operators, 2007-2011
Beer Leading Brewers/Importers, 2007-2011
Beer Consumption by Pack Mix: Refillability/Type/Pack/Size, 2008-2012F
Beer Distribution: On vs Off Premise, 2008-2012F
COMPANIA CERVECERIAS UNIDAS S.A. (CCU)
CCU Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
CERVECERIA CHILE SA
Cerveceria Chile Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
COMPANIA CERVECERA KUNSTMANN SA