Published by Canadean, this Quarterly Beverage Tracker report provides a detailed analysis of the latest developments in the Austria beverage market
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
In the current climate of economic uncertainty and market volatility companies need to know about more than just data. This report provides a complete overview of all commercial beverage consumption trends, latest market developments and an economic mood indicator
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Q3-13 saw moderate GDP growth of 0.1%, with consumer prices also falling marginally. The overall economic mood is positive, despite the Eurozone crisis continuing to have an impact. Domestic demand is growing steadily, but cannot fully compensate for negative export development.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The very warm summer months of July and August had a largely positive impact on the beverage market. Packaged water volumes in particular increased as consumers held a preference towards natural refreshment.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
Designed for clients who want to understand the latest trends in the Austrian beverage industry and want more detail and analysis on this data. Canadean's Austria Quarterly Beverage Tracker report is ideal for benchmarking total market vs retail audit data and is an essential tool for keeping up-to-date with the latest industry and market developments
Key Features and Benefits
- Readers are provided with a summary snap shot table showing category growth in Q32013 vs Q32012, together with 2012 actual volumes, 2013 forecast volumes and projected growth
- An economic mood indicator, completed by Canadean's local consultant, examines (on a scale of one to five) whether confidence levels in the industry are better or worse than the previous quarter, whether net prices are rising or falling and how Private Label products have performed versus the rest of the market.
- Key highlights of the last quarter's commercial beverage performance are identified and the key market drivers examined
- Volumes for Q32013 vs Q32012, full year 2012, moving annual totals (MAT) and 2013 forecasts are provided for each individual beverage category, together with supporting text on quarterly performance and forecast assumptions. More granular data is provided for the Carbonates category, with data split by regular vs low calorie, and by key flavours. Significant activity in the soft drinks industry is covered including recent new product introductions (detailing flavour, pack type, pack size, retail price and selected pack shots) and the latest industry news.
- Focus on Functional Soft Drinks and Healthy Innovation
Key Market Issues
- Producers have tried to drive their sales by introducing new flavour combinations, often a 'classic' fruit (eg apple or orange) mixed with an 'exotic' one.
- Q3-13 saw another slight increase of 0.1 % in GDP, continuing the moderate growth of the previous quarters.
- The overall economic mood is positive, even though the Euro zone crisis affects the growth of Austria's economy. Important export partners in southern Europe struggle with recession, so the export demand is weakened.
- The meteorological offices reported some of the highest temperatures ever measured in Austria during Q3-13. July and August 2013 rank within the ten warmest months since weather records began. Furthermore, both of these months were extremely dry, with hardly any rainfall seen.
- Private Label is an important segment within many categories.
- Dairy products saw a positive development in Q3, with white milk and flavoured milk as the main beneficiaries. The widespread introduction of the long-lasting ESL milk is well received by consumers. Sooner or later, ESL milk will supersede fresh milk as first choice for milk in retail.
- Even though the quality is not necessarily higher than tap water, consumers prefer the pre-filled bulk/HOD water in public facilities and workplaces.
- Sports drinks are perceived as very specialized products for athletes; many ordinary people who work out or go running turn to water or water/juice mixes.
- The beer decline was less steep than expected thanks to the favourable weather, consumers able to sit outdoors in beer gardens and street cafs until late in the evening.
- Hot tea saw 2% growth in this quarter. The many tea varieties are increasingly developing as alternatives to coffee, based on the healthier perception of hot tea.
Table of Content
Canadean Austria Quarterly Beverage Tracker
AT A GLANCE - QUARTERLY PERFORMANCE AND LATEST FORECAST
Iced/RTD Tea Drinks
Iced/RTD Coffee Drinks
Other Alcoholic Drinks
Cultured Dairy Drinks
Other Liquid Dairy
Soft Drinks Quarterly Update
New Products and Photo Shots
FOCUS ON FUNCTIONAL SOFT DRINKS AND HEALTHY INNOVATION
List of Table
Table 1: Austria at a Glance - Quarterly Performance and Latest Forecast
Table 2: Impact Of The Economic Situation
Table 3: Functional Soft Drinks, 2011-2013f
Table 4: Commercial Beverage Market Trends - Million Litres, 2012-2013F
Table 5: Commercial Beverage Market Trends - Million Unit Cases, 2012-2013F
Table 6: Soft Drinks Market Trends - Million Litres, 2012-2013F
Table 7: Soft Drinks Market Trends - Million Unit Cases, 2012-2013F
Table 8: Carbonates Market Trends - Million Litres, 2012-2013F
Table 9: Carbonates Market Trends - Million Unit Cases, 2012-2013F
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.