Published by Canadean, the Australasia Energy Drinks Report 2012 provides a detailed analysis of the energy drinks market in Australasia, with data at a regional and individual country level, including forecasts to 2015
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The Australasia Energy Drinks Report 2012 is an essential guide for anyone with an interest in the energy drinks market and forms part of Canadean's best selling series of global soft drinks reports.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Growth is forecast as older consumers are retained and new ones continually enter the market. Low calorie variants are emerging, although hold only a minor share at present. There are, as of yet, no functional options, above the baseline benefits.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
As producers try to retain interest in the market, new variants are launch, although any success can perhaps be attributed to distribution gains, rather than strong consumer demand. Similarly, no functional drinks have been seen as energy drinks are considered by consumers to be inherently functional.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The report comprises of data tables and supporting text, providing information at a regional and country level. The report is compiled from Canadean's extensive global soft drinks databases which are researched individually by country using our specialist researchers 'on the ground'. Comprising of 2individual country profiles, plus a regional summary, the report provides an invaluable guide to the latest trends and forecasts in the energy drinks category.
Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- Dataincludesconsumption volumes (million litres and litres per capita)from 2006 to 2011, plus forecasts to 2015 by country.
- Percentage market shares are provided for segmentation data, packaging dataand distribution (2010 and 2011 actuals, plus 2012 forecasts).
- Leading companies' market shares for 2010 and 2011 are provided.
- A market valuation is provided for eachcountry and, where applicable, new products in 2011 are identified by country.
- Supporting text includes commentary on current and emerging trends, segmentation, packaging, distribution, pricing/valuation and where applicable, functional products and private label
- Private Label lines are not noticeable in the category due to its heavy reliance on image and performance. Private Label brands which have been launched are usually withdrawn within a few years due to underperformance.
- Pricing increased, on average in line with inflation. Popularity was also boosted by product promotions on some brands.
- The strong focus on single heavy occasion consumption was highlighted by Monster in 2011 with the line extension from its 50cl metal can to a 55cl metal can. 4-packs are also stimulating growth
- There are no products with added functionality in Australia. The baseline formulation of energy drinks is considered by consumers to be strongly functional, being positioned as offering energy, primarily through a caffeine, taurine and guarana hit.
- The main segmentation in New Zealand is between the guzzle brands, namely Mother and Monster, which attract 18 to 24 year olds and the premium brands of V and Red Bull which attract and retain an older cohort, up to 35 years of age.
- Usage occasions for energy drinks continue to expand in New Zealand. Whereas afternoon and evening were once the domain of energy drinks, the prospect of energy drinks providing a caffeine hit as an alternative to coffee means that energy drinks are moving towards morning consumption as well.
- In Australia energy drinks has such a strong functional proposition that V Black (Frucor), for example, is positioned as a 'double hit' guarana energy drink.
- Off-premise is expected to grow faster than on-premise in New Zealand as the off-premise attracts a broader range of usage occasions and consumers, whilst on-premise growth is contingent on Red Bull being aligned to the next wave of fashionable spirits as a mixer.
- In 2011, the grocery channel exceeded the organized petrol and convenience channel for the first time in Australia (in terms of volume) due to multipack promotions in supermarkets.
- Throughout the region the target market is 18 to 35, and marketing is very image focused. Marketing often centres on rebellion and extreme events.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Regional Summary - Energy Drinks Data Tables
Consumption (Million Litres) By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
Litres per Capita Consumption By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
8oz Servings per Capita Consumption By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
Consumption (Million Cases) By Region/Country, 2006-2015F
Share of Consumption by Segment: Top Flavors, By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Segment: Still vs. Carbonated, 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Top Packaging Materials, By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Segment: Refillable vs. Non-Refillable, By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Consumption by Pack Mix: Single-Serve (<=60cl) vs. Multi-Serve(>60cl), By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Share of Distribution: Off-Premise (Retail/At Home) vs. On-Premise (Away from Home), By Region/Country 2010-2012F
Table - Energy Drinks Key Facts
Market Size - Consumption Million Litres, Litres Per Capita, 2011
Growth - CAGR% 06-11, CAGR % 08-11, CAGR% 10-11
Market Value (at Consumer Price), Local Currency/US$, 2011
Segmentation - RTD/non-RTD, % Market Share, 2011
Distribution - Off-Premise/On-Premise, % Market Share, 2011
Packaging - Material, % Market Share, 2011
Chart -Energy Drinks Leading Trademark Owners, 2011
Current and Emerging Trends
Private Label/Private Label Producers
Energy Drinks New Products 2011
Consumption, Million Litres/Litres Per Capita, 2006-2015F
Segments: Flavor, Still vs. Carbonated, RTD,% Market Share, 2010-2012F
Packaging: Material / Non-Refillable vs. Refillable / Multi Serve vs. Single Serve, % Market Share, 2010-2012F
Distribution: Off-Premise vs. On-Premise, % Market Share, 2010-2012F
Leading Companies, % Market Share, 2010-2011
AUSTRALASIA: Australia, New Zealand
Make an enquiry before buying this Report
Please fill the enquiry form below.